Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options Tools
#60698 - 02/13/03 09:51 PM Re: Orange National Alert
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
In reply to:

..... But totally agree w/you on Paris. I dislike Paris in both the spring and summer. All those smelly people on the metro .....

It's not just Paris, it's France in general. Somebody famous I don't remember who right now) once said that France is a beautiful country with fine wines and wonderful food, but spoilt completely by the people that live there!

Return to Top
General Discussion
#60699 - 02/13/03 09:53 PM Re: Orange National Alert
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
My daughter just sent this link to me with important information for Valentine's Day.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#60700 - 02/13/03 09:53 PM Re: Orange National Alert
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Never could stomach the escargot. Did drink a lot of the wine. And ate steak frites - love those and have not been able to replicate properly here in the US (for those who have not had the pleasure of being in southern france, a steak frites is a thinly sliced steak and you put it in a long bun, like a sub bun but of course it's french bread, and underneath it is greasy fries and you salt the whole thing with sea salt. It is really wonderful - and a cholesterol nightmare. But very good.) I can get sort of close making it at home but the meat is of course different (and I don't want to think about why that might be.)

Return to Top
#60701 - 02/13/03 09:59 PM Re: Orange National Alert
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
What I didn't like about the folks in Paris was their overall wishey washeyness about being rude. It was pretty much 50/50. The folks in the countryside were lovely, very patient and actually allowed me to attempt my meager language skills without laughing too terribly hard in my face.

The Parisians however, were either terribly rude or terribly nice..I prefer 100% rude (Italy for instance) to 50/50 any day!

I'm sure the lovely little french teenager from the Louve who I had a run in with would tell you all americans are monsters. (I think when I suggested she assist her countries tourisim efforts by stepping infront of a bus kinda set her off).

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#60702 - 02/13/03 10:00 PM Re: Orange National Alert
Anonymous
Unregistered

(or not, with this crew, that conversation could degenerate quickly.)

It appears this has already taken place, from the topic of the orginal post. Came to look for some info. on the subject of National Alerts and this thread was the most current one. Enjoyed all the extra information.

Return to Top
#60703 - 02/13/03 10:06 PM Re: Orange National Alert
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
I blame Dawnie.

Return to Top
#60704 - 02/13/03 10:07 PM Re: Orange National Alert
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
::pointing at ExGovBabes in general:: SHE DID IT!

(Actually I think Mr. Z started us off with the cereal stuff) LOL

Return to Top
#60705 - 02/13/03 10:13 PM Re: Orange National Alert
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm impressed Don - of course from a Marketing perspective, I am now churning my brain to find a way for you to package your CRA and wine knowledge skills into a combined service offering. Off the top of my head, I would say figuring out ways to lend money for creating vineyards in low-moderate income areas which would promote economic stabilization.

Return to Top
#60706 - 02/13/03 10:21 PM Re: Orange National Alert
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Yeah, yeah, the Z-man isn't here right now, let's blame HIM!

Return to Top
#60707 - 02/13/03 10:31 PM Re: Orange National Alert
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
Does anyone else feel that some people are taking this orange national alert WAY to seriously? I completley understand the seriousness of this matter, but I am not about to scare any of our employees or customers. We still have our lives to live. I do think it is important for us to stay alert and understand what is going on around the world, but I wish the government would refrain from scaring some people into stocking up on enough groceries to last them 5 years.

Return to Top
#60708 - 02/13/03 10:41 PM Re: Orange National Alert
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Heh Heh, You know when I went to Europe last time I couldn't convince the boss that we might some day want a branch in Italy...thereby forcing the bank to pay for my "Scouting" trip....but with this CRA gig!!!! Woo Hoo!!! Anyone want to work at my low income vinyard? The wine is crappy but the scenery is great!!!

Return to Top
#60709 - 02/13/03 11:00 PM Re: Orange National Alert
Starky Offline
100 Club
Starky
Arkansas
Kara, I completely agree. Maybe they still have their Y2K supplies and will not have to stock up.

Return to Top
#60710 - 02/13/03 11:14 PM Re: Orange National Alert
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Hey, that was just my picture and I believe I was asked about it. I think I would have been Parisian-like rude to have not answered. Hey, this is my 499th post, do you think I will get my 500th this season.

I think I should be crowned "King of Judicious Posting"--I have been a member for quite a while, but only have 499 posts. And at least 3 or 4 of them were banking related.

Return to Top
#60711 - 02/14/03 12:28 AM Re: Orange National Alert
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
In reply to:

I prefer 100% rude (Italy for instance)

Sorry Dawnie, I can't agree with you there, I have been to Italy many times, at least 20 and I have never had anyone be rude to me.

I have have been approached many times by Germans who want to speak German to me though! I guess it's because I look so un-Italian!

Return to Top
#60712 - 02/14/03 01:21 AM Re: Orange National Alert
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Perhaps they were upset with me because I bought all of the size 6 or 38 shoes in Italy?

I adore Germany...they don't mind selling me their shoes and they let me fumble with their language alot more patiently than the French.

No one ever comes up to me trying to speak Scottish or Irish...I guess I should carry my bagpipes next time I travel

Return to Top
#60713 - 02/14/03 02:20 PM Re: Orange National Alert
complyguy Offline
Gold Star
complyguy
PA
Trust me, pushing 40 is a heck of a lot easier than dragging it way behind you.

Return to Top
#60714 - 02/14/03 03:24 PM Re: Orange National Alert
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
Yes, Kara, I'm with you. Does anybody else notice that it happens to be February (sweeps) month and all the news channels are complaning that their viewership is way down? The last news conference I saw given by the mayor of my city was conducted with a "yea, yea, big deal" attitude. My city has been at "orange alert" for all this time already. Not to say security here isn't very tight, it actually is (and don't tell anyone I said this..but they are doing a good job) Is the duct tape and the plastic sheet manufacturers the same parent company? I really am not that cynical a person, but I do believe this is getting just a little overblown. (PS wouldn't you have to know IN ADVANCE to seal the windows for it to do any good?)

Return to Top
#60715 - 02/14/03 03:41 PM Re: Orange National Alert
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
In reply to:

..... I really am not that cynical a person, but I do believe this is getting just a little overblown.....

I agree with you Ellen, I think that there is a very fine line between being prepared and inciting panic.

Fortunately/ unfortunately I have seen this before. I was working in London in the '90s when the IRA had a bombing campaign. In 1992 one building that I worked in had all the rear windows and some of the front and side windows blown in/out - thankfully outside office hours, though one security guard was horribly cut by flying glass. This was a building that was perhaps a hundred yards from the bomb, so many other buildings were more badly damaged, and several destroyed, or damaged beyond repair.

A year later another bomb went off, an even more powerful one, just one street away from the earlier one; it blew a hole in the road 25' deep and obliterate a church that was nearly 1000 years old .

There were another two bombs a year or two later, in a new office district ("Docklands") that includes the tallest building in Europe, housing several major banks.

Security was increased, police check-points around the financial district were introduced (that are still there today) and people were worried, but life went on.

Having said that, I am glad that I no longer work in New York.

BTW in the event that there was a gas/ chemical/ biological attack then the wind may blow the agent around. So if your house was downwind then sealing the windows and doors with plastic and tape would be helpful, even after the initial release.

Return to Top
#60716 - 02/14/03 04:33 PM Re: Orange National Alert
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Of course, all of this is assuming that everyone in the family is home at the time that they need to be. My luck, I'll be 100 miles away watching my son play baseball. That would be high school, so of course, we will be outside.

Return to Top
#60717 - 02/14/03 06:25 PM Re: Orange National Alert
Anonymous
Unregistered

You didn't leave me any size 6 shoes? Waaa!

From one shoe nut to another -- you'll appreciate this pic I took 3 years ago when I was donating some of my footwear to a local Suited for Success charity. (Gave me an excuse to buy more!)

SHOES!

Return to Top
#60718 - 02/14/03 06:41 PM Re: Orange National Alert
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
That's a classic, MB!

Oddly enough, in my family, I'm the one with 'too many shoes,' (at least according to my wife.) Of course, my new puppy is determined to remedy the situation...

Return to Top
#60719 - 02/14/03 06:58 PM Re: Orange National Alert
Johncrcm Offline
100 Club
Eastern KY
Kara,
I tend to agree to a point, but a little awareness can go a long way. Especially when the OCC's Alert reminds us about the access to our HVAC to shut off to strangers and to pay attn to strange packages. My branch personnel would allow anyone! into the AC room or equipment room where the telephone and network servers are located.

Hey, Dawnie owns lots of stock in LOWES, and we all know it! Where else do you find the colored tape?

Return to Top
#60720 - 02/14/03 07:38 PM Re: Orange National Alert
JulesB Offline
Gold Star
JulesB
A Designated Tree City in OK, ...
In reply to:

You didn't leave me any size 6 shoes? Waaa!

Oh, to be able to say my feet were that small!!! I think I was 12 years old the last time I saw size 6. Of course, my Mom says my size 9's mean I have a good understanding . . . especially for someone shorter than 5'4".

Return to Top
#60721 - 02/14/03 07:44 PM Re: Orange National Alert
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Same as me. My grandfather used to tell me I had a 'good understanding'.

Return to Top
#60722 - 02/14/03 08:51 PM Re: Orange National Alert
Anonymoose Offline
You know what Pee Wee Herman said about big shoes:

"It's like they say: Big Shoes, Big Feet."

Return to Top
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5