Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#607697 - 08/31/06 02:55 PM Loan to DBA - to construct primary residence?
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
(1) Loan is to Farmer Jones - DBA Jones'Farming. Farmer's accountant instructed to set-up this way.(2) Purpose is to construct principal residence.(3)Collateral is 208 Acre farm and residence being constructed.(4) I consider this loan as "consumer purpose" and am requiring TIL disclosures. (5) Agree or disagree?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#607698 - 08/31/06 02:58 PM Re: Loan to DBA - to construct primary residence?
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Agree, there is no agricultural purpose and Reg. Z does not exempt loans based on acreage as RESPA does. This would also be a reportable home purchase loan for HMDA when the loan goes to permanent financing.

Return to Top
#607699 - 08/31/06 03:06 PM Re: Loan to DBA - to construct primary residence?
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
Does Jones' Farming have a separate TIN? If so, I would think then the loan is not to a natural person and wouldn't be subject to Reg Z. I could be wrong though - I don't usually disagree with Dan.

Return to Top
#607700 - 08/31/06 03:18 PM Re: Loan to DBA - to construct primary residence?
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
In my mind, there is no separation between the individual and the individual acting as a DBA. Whether or not the dba has a separate EIN would not matter. This is clearly not a business purpose loan. Why his accountant has suggested this is beyond me.

Return to Top
#607701 - 08/31/06 03:18 PM Re: Loan to DBA - to construct primary residence?
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
You are correct Deena, but normally a person operating as a DBA will be operating under their SSN. Unless the DBA is set up as its own entity I'm not sure how you could say you were not lending to a natural person.

Return to Top
#607702 - 08/31/06 03:23 PM Re: Loan to DBA - to construct primary residence?
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
I agree with the "normally" part, but we have situations where there is a separate TIN for the DBA. I realize it's a technicality and that this is clearly consumer purpose, I'm just thinking that if it's not to a natural person, it's not subject to Reg Z.

Return to Top
#607703 - 08/31/06 06:06 PM Re: Loan to DBA - to construct primary residence?
Tom at HOME Offline
Diamond Poster
It is best for a d/b/a/ to obtain a TIN when they have empolyees.

Let me give you another example of a person living at the business. Let’s say I own storage buildings where customers can store the goods in enclosed, locked storage units and can also store their boat, RV, etc. I decide to live on premises to act as security. Your loan is to build the home where I will live and is owned by the business. The business is incorporated, and I am the sole stockholder. Is the construction of my home consumer or business?

The fact that it is incorporated should not be the determining factor since I can have a business in my own name. They are both businesses.

Also, TIL eliminates ag purpose loans. Is the acreage for ag purposes, and I just live there?

Return to Top
#607704 - 08/31/06 06:21 PM Re: Loan to DBA - to construct primary residence?
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

Also, TIL eliminates ag purpose loans. Is the acreage for ag purposes, and I just live there?

Tom, I think I know what you may be leading up to but, if the loan is to build the borrower's primary residence, the primary residence is owned by the borrower, and the borrower is a natural person the use of the other property securing the loan would have no bearing. It would still be a consumer purpose loan, only that it may be secured by business assets/property.

The whole key to this scenario is whether they are making a loan to an natural person, or a business entity. And as presented I think it's a natural person.

Return to Top
#607705 - 08/31/06 06:44 PM Re: Loan to DBA - to construct primary residence?
Tom at HOME Offline
Diamond Poster
§ 226.3 Exempt transactions.
This regulation does not apply to the following:
(a) Business, commercial, agricultural, or organizational credit.
(1) An extension of credit primarily for a business, commercial or agricultural purpose.
(2) An extension of credit to other than a natural person, including credit to government agencies or instrumentalities.

If an individual is purchasing a farm, that includes a farm house, I don’t think Reg Z applies. I think it is the primary purpose of the loan that will govern. So, building a farm house on a farm is that consumer?

This is an interesting argument. However, I tend to disclose and ask questions later. If it was not required, no big deal, and if it was, I saved my tail.

But it is interesting to discuss.

Return to Top
#607706 - 08/31/06 07:24 PM Re: Loan to DBA - to construct primary residence?
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I would refer to the OSC - based on that, the construction of a new primary residence on farm land does not appear to meet the ag definition:

Agricultural purpose. An agricultural purpose includes the planting, propagating, nurturing, harvesting, catching, storing, exhibiting, marketing, transporting, processing, or manufacturing of food, beverages (including alcoholic beverages), flowers, trees, livestock, poultry, bees, wildlife, fish, or shellfish by a natural person engaged in farming, fishing, or growing crops, flowers, trees, livestock, poultry, bees, or wildlife. The exemption also applies to a transaction involving real property that includes a dwelling (for example, the purchase of a farm with a homestead) if the transaction is primarily for agricultural purposes.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z