Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#607709 - 08/31/06 02:59 PM Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea???
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
President Bush 'assassinated' in new TV docudrama

Bush is shot by a sniper in a scene from Death of a President.
This is the dramatic moment when President George Bush is gunned down by a sniper after a public address at a hotel, in a gripping new docudrama soon to be aired on TV.

Set around October 2007, President Bush is assassinated as he leaves the Sheraton Hotel in Chicago.

Death of a President, shot in the style of a retrospective documentary, looks at the effect the assassination of Bush has on America in light of its 'War on Terror'.

The 90 minutes feature explores who could have planned the murder, with a Syrian-born man wrongly put in the frame.

Peter Dale, head of More4, which is due to air the film on October 9, said the drama was a "thought-provoking critique" of contemporary US society.

He said: "It's an extraordinarily gripping and powerful piece of work, a drama constructed like a documentary that looks back at the assassination of George Bush as the starting point for a very gripping detective story.

"It's a pointed political examination of what the War on Terror did to the American body politic.

"I'm sure that there will be people who will be upset by it but when you watch it you realise what a sophisticated piece of work it is.

"It's not sensationalist, or simplistic but a very thought-provoking, powerful drama. I hope people will see that the intention behind it is good."

The film will premier at the Toronto Film Festival in September and was written and directed by Gabriel Range.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#607710 - 08/31/06 03:07 PM Re: Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea???
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Yes. Definately a bad idea. In poor taste, IMO. They should, at the very least, use a fictious president.

Return to Top
#607711 - 08/31/06 03:15 PM Re: Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea???
Maxx Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
Ditto to Nanwa's comment.

Return to Top
#607712 - 08/31/06 03:19 PM Re: Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea???
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Agreed. I know political discourse is good for our society, but sometimes we have to draw the line.

Also, does anyone find it mildly ironic that they can do an entire exhibit of Christian items drenched in urine (Maplethorpe was the artist), but a it's just totally unallowed to simply depict Mohammed?

Something just isn't right these days, imho.

Return to Top
#607713 - 08/31/06 03:21 PM Re: Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea???
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
I am a bit concerned about life imitating art.

Return to Top
#607714 - 08/31/06 03:27 PM Re: Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea
Buddy Love Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
I hope no one shows it.

If they show it, I hope no one watches.

If a network or cable station airs it, I hope the local affiliate or cable company does carry it.

I don't care how thought-provoking it is, it is irresponsible.

Return to Top
#607715 - 08/31/06 03:30 PM Re: Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea
Just Suzy Offline
Platinum Poster
Mid-West
It's in poor taste. They could get the same ideas across by making the president a fictitious character just with a lot of similarities to Bush. I'm not particularly worried about Art imitating Life but it's just gross to use the projected death of an actual living person to make a point.

Return to Top
#607716 - 08/31/06 03:32 PM Re: Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea???
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

Yes. Definately a bad idea. In poor taste, IMO. They should, at the very least, use a fictious president.

I thought Bush was a fictitous president.

Seriously -- the description of it says that the aim was something to the effect of depicting how thought has changed in this country under Bush. You couldn't accomplish that by using a fictional president. If done in a thoughtful manner, I don't see anything wrong with this. I'm assuming the message of the film is what they say it is, and not a "Death to America --Bush should die" message.

I see this as no different from a film that depicts a tsunami hitting NYC -- it's a what-if scenario, not expressing a desire that it happen.

Return to Top
#607717 - 08/31/06 03:33 PM Re: Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea???
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

Also, does anyone find it mildly ironic that they can do an entire exhibit of Christian items drenched in urine (Maplethorpe was the artist), but a it's just totally unallowed to simply depict Mohammed?

1 correction, 2 questions;
1. the artist you're referring to is Andres Serrano, not Robert Maplethorpe.
2. Who is "they"?
3. depictions of Mohammed are 'totally unallowed' by whom?

Return to Top
#607718 - 08/31/06 03:36 PM Re: Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea???
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Another thought/question...

Would people think it was a bad idea if it were a movie depicting the assassination of the Iranian president, or Fidel Castro, or Kim Jong Il?

Return to Top
#607719 - 08/31/06 03:35 PM Re: Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea???
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

Quote:

Seriously -- the description of it says that the aim was something to the effect of depicting how thought has changed in this country under Bush. You couldn't accomplish that by using a fictional president. If done in a thoughtful manner, I don't see anything wrong with this. I'm assuming the message of the film is what they say it is, and not a "Death to America --Bush should die" message.

I see this as no different from a film that depicts a tsunami hitting NYC -- it's a what-if scenario, not expressing a desire that it happen.

Wow, I am really surprised [we really need a sarcastic font].

Return to Top
#607720 - 08/31/06 03:41 PM Re: Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea???
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow, I am really surprised [we really need a sarcastic font].

See my other post -- is it because it's disturbing to depict the imaginary murder of ANY real person, or is it because he's AMERICAN, or is it because it's GEORGE BUSH?

Return to Top
#607721 - 08/31/06 03:39 PM Re: Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea???
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
I think the secret service should snap them up for interviews to make sure this isn't some sort of "how to guide" for assassinating Bush. Maybe some time under interrogation will teach them that this kind of movie about a president in office is a bad idea.

Return to Top
#607722 - 08/31/06 03:40 PM Re: Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea???
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Serrano, not Mapplethorpe, you are correct, my error.

The depiction of killing any actual and living person (let alone someone who I feel that we should hold in esteem whether or not you agree with his policies) to me, is in poor taste.

I am sure you disagree, we definitely disagree on most things, Thank God.

Return to Top
#607723 - 08/31/06 03:41 PM Re: Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea
Buddy Love Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
Quote:

Quote:

You are kidding, right? Since when can a crazy person watching a show about a tsunami hitting NYC actually go out and make a tsunami hit NYC. Of course, if you believe Al Gore, all you have to do is go buy an SUV and voila!

Return to Top
#607724 - 08/31/06 03:42 PM Re: Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea???
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

The depiction of killing any actual and living person (let alone someone who I feel that we should hold in esteem whether or not you agree with his policies) to me, is in poor taste.

I totally agree. I don't care if it's a movie about assassinating Bush, Castro, Saddam, Chavez, or Tommy Lee, it's in bad taste.

Return to Top
#607725 - 08/31/06 03:43 PM Re: Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea
Non Ron anon Offline
Gold Star
Quote:

I hope no one shows it.

If a network or cable station airs it, I hope the local affiliate or cable company does carry it.

Just to clarify, when the original post said that this would be shown "on TV" - this is being made by and will be shown on
British TV.

Return to Top
#607726 - 08/31/06 03:43 PM Re: Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea
Just Suzy Offline
Platinum Poster
Mid-West
Well, for me it's in poor taste because he's an actual living person, not because he's an American or Bush. Although I think I could make an exception for Jong Il. After all, I loved Team America!

Return to Top
#607727 - 08/31/06 03:44 PM Re: Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea
Buddy Love Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
Quote:

Another thought/question...

Would people think it was a bad idea if it were a movie depicting the assassination of the Iranian president, or Fidel Castro, or Kim Jong Il?

Again, bad ideas to show actual leaders being assassinated.

Return to Top
#607728 - 08/31/06 03:45 PM Re: Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Quote:

Quote:

I hope no one shows it.

Just to clarify, when the original post said that this would be shown "on TV" - this is being made by and will be shown on
British TV.

It will first be shown at the Toronto Film Festival.

Oh and the movie was only produced in English and Arabic.

Return to Top
#607729 - 08/31/06 03:47 PM Re: Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea???
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Quote:

Quote:

I totally agree. I don't care if it's a movie about assassinating Bush, Castro, Saddam, Chavez, or Tommy Lee, it's in bad taste.

LOL @ Tommy Lee....(are you REALLY so sure about that one?) LOL!

Return to Top
#607730 - 08/31/06 03:49 PM Re: Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea
Roger That Offline
Platinum Poster
Roger That
Penna.
Can we do a movie about how things maight be different if, say, someone pops a round into the temple of the crackpot from iran?
It'll be tasteful.

I bet folks would be more vocal.

Return to Top
#607731 - 08/31/06 03:49 PM Re: Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea???
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Quote:

Quote:

1 correction, 2 questions;
1. the artist you're referring to is Andres Serrano, not Robert Maplethorpe.
2. Who is "they"?
3. depictions of Mohammed are 'totally unallowed' by whom?

The answer to 3 is Comedy Central. But it is not limited to them. European newspapers also no longer allow depictions of Muhammed in response to the whole Dutch thing.

Return to Top
#607732 - 08/31/06 03:53 PM Re: Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea???
Peepers Offline
10K Club
How about a tasteful film about what would happen if snakes were on a planeā€¦.

um, nevermind

Return to Top
#607733 - 08/31/06 03:53 PM Re: Does anyone else think that this is a bad idea???
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
LOL!!! (you're killin' me over here)

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3