Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#608556 - 09/01/06 07:18 PM Has anybody here read...
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
...the Left Behind series ( by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins)? I picked the first book up after a friend recommended the series- two chapter deep, I am already hooked!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#608557 - 09/01/06 07:21 PM Re: Has anybody here read...
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
I've read all but the last 2 or 3...several years ago and can't remember where I quit. The first several were terrific, but then the last few I read just didn't keep my interest as well.

Return to Top
#608558 - 09/01/06 07:23 PM Re: Has anybody here read...
AngelinaLM Offline
Diamond Poster
Boise, ID
I LOVE THEM ALL, but I stopped where Jen did, I believe. They were good, and very easy to read.
Last edited by AngelinaLM; 09/01/06 07:27 PM.

Return to Top
#608559 - 09/01/06 07:25 PM Re: Has anybody here read...
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

I've read all but the last 2 or 3...several years ago and can't remember where I quit. The first several were terrific, but then the last few I read just didn't keep my interest as well.

Same here -- they're great at first, but then they drag out. They could have done the whole series in about half the books.

Return to Top
#608560 - 09/01/06 07:31 PM Re: Has anybody here read...
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Started them...loved them...but only got through about the 3rd book.

Return to Top
#608561 - 09/01/06 07:42 PM Re: Has anybody here read...
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
Keep going until "Glorious Appearing" - it explains (in their opinion) how everyone will "see" Jesus when He returns. It's incredible.

Return to Top
#608562 - 09/01/06 07:50 PM Re: Has anybody here read...
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Quote:

Started them...loved them...but only got through about the 3rd book.

Me too, on all counts, Ms. Biscuit! Great books.

Return to Top
#608563 - 09/01/06 07:54 PM Re: Has anybody here read...
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I've read them all, and was sad when they were done. I got to like all the characters. But one of the authors started another shorter series; the books are Soon, Silenced and Shadowed. They are about a guy who becomes a believer after religion is outlawed after the third world war, and how he and his family deals with it. Like the Left Behind series, it is an easy and entertaining read.

Return to Top
#608564 - 09/01/06 08:30 PM Re: Has anybody here read...
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
I haven't read them Jac, but one of my favorite authors is Frank Peretti. If you haven't already, get a copy of This Present Darkness. I promise you'll be hooked.

Return to Top
#608565 - 09/01/06 08:37 PM Re: Has anybody here read...
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
I'll definitely make a note of that- thanks!

And while we're discussing Christian fiction, I'd also like to suggest Bill Myers- so far I have read his Fire of Heaven trilogy, and his Soul Tracker series (two books so far in that series).

Return to Top
#608566 - 09/01/06 08:47 PM Re: Has anybody here read...
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
I have seen 2 of the movies, haven't read the books.

Return to Top
#608567 - 09/01/06 09:08 PM Re: Has anybody here read...
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
Quote:

I have seen 2 of the movies, haven't read the books.

There are now 3 movies: Left Behind, Tribulation Force, and World at War.

The 3 movies only cover the first 2 books.

The movies are pretty good.

Return to Top
#608568 - 09/04/06 03:05 AM Re: Has anybody here read...
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
I haven't read any of the books. I saw the first movie at a church function. It was hard for me not to laugh out loud at how bad the screenplay was, but I knew some of the folks at church thought it was very good, so I behaved myself.

Maybe it's just me, but I find that most movies about the events revealed by the Bible to be pretty hokey. Including the ones Hollywood makes -- even a world class actor like Gregory Peck and amazing special effects can't save them. But people like them and watch them.

Maybe this is harsh, but I think we should try reading Revelation and Daniel for ourselves. We'll get a lot more out it than by letting someone else spoon feed it to us through the filter of their own agendas, no matter how well-intended those agendas may be.

Return to Top
#608569 - 09/05/06 12:35 PM Re: Has anybody here read...
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I read all through Glorious Appearing and enjoyed them. Glorious Appearing was really the end of the story, and then the last two books that have come out are really pre-quels ala Star Wars that supposedly fill in the back story on how everyone got to where the original story picked up, which was with the rapture (sudden taking up to heaven of all the of the current Christians preceding the apocalypse).

I personally think the last two for sure needlessly extended the franchise for the sake of money. Even beyond that, I agree with one of the previous posters that the story could have been told in about half of the books. In fact, at the outset, I believe the authors said the story was intended to be told over 6 - 8 novels. Then that was extended to 12. Now a couple more to fill in back story. Not to mention all the related materials that are available. It has definitely been a money-making franchise.

Return to Top
#608570 - 09/05/06 01:03 PM Re: Has anybody here read...
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
I've read the first three, and was bored by the fourth book. I plan to get back to them eventually.

The movies are great though. Funny to see Kirk Cameron all grown up.

Return to Top
#608571 - 09/05/06 02:11 PM Re: Has anybody here read...
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Quote:

Maybe this is harsh, but I think we should try reading Revelation and Daniel for ourselves. We'll get a lot more out it than by letting someone else spoon feed it to us through the filter of their own agendas, no matter how well-intended those agendas may be.

I don't think this is harsh. I certainly agree that reading Christian fiction is not a substitute for reading the Bible.

Return to Top
#608572 - 09/05/06 02:25 PM Re: Has anybody here read...
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think this is harsh. I certainly agree that reading Christian fiction is not a substitute for reading the Bible.

I think it IS harsh. I agree reading fiction is not a SUBSTITUTE for reading the Bible, however, does that make Narnia a bad thing because it is based on Christ's tale?

Fiction is a story. If this movie makes people think more about end days, then it is a good thing. It's not like anyone has said it is not fiction. It's a good story.

Return to Top
#608573 - 09/05/06 02:53 PM Re: Has anybody here read...
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I think the problem is that a lot of readers think that it is a legitimate interpretation of how the events described in the Book of Revelation will take place, not just fiction.

He that believeth will not make haste.

Return to Top
#608574 - 09/05/06 04:36 PM Re: Has anybody here read...
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Quote:

I think it IS harsh. I agree reading fiction is not a SUBSTITUTE for reading the Bible, however, does that make Narnia a bad thing because it is based on Christ's tale? Fiction is a story. If this movie makes people think more about end days, then it is a good thing. It's not like anyone has said it is not fiction. It's a good story.

Please let me clarify. I don't think reading Christian fiction is a waste of time. My comment above was directed squarely at poorly written and produced fiction such as the "Left Behind" series of books and films.

I think "Christian" fiction written by great authors such as C.S. Lewis, George MacDonald, J.R.R. Tolkien (and to a lesser extent, Frank Peretti (sp?)), are well worth reading -- and in the case of Lewis and MacDonald -- even studying.

Return to Top
#608575 - 09/05/06 06:27 PM Re: Has anybody here read...
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

I think it IS harsh. I agree reading fiction is not a SUBSTITUTE for reading the Bible, however, does that make Narnia a bad thing because it is based on Christ's tale? Fiction is a story. If this movie makes people think more about end days, then it is a good thing. It's not like anyone has said it is not fiction. It's a good story.

Please let me clarify. I don't think reading Christian fiction is a waste of time. My comment above was directed squarely at poorly written and produced fiction such as the "Left Behind" series of books and films.

I think "Christian" fiction written by great authors such as C.S. Lewis, George MacDonald, J.R.R. Tolkien (and to a lesser extent, Frank Peretti (sp?)), are well worth reading -- and in the case of Lewis and MacDonald -- even studying.

Wait a second, now you're saying the series is poorly written without ever having read even the first book and that's why it's no good?

Return to Top
#608576 - 09/05/06 10:12 PM Re: Has anybody here read...
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Quote:

Wait a second, now you're saying the series is poorly written without ever having read even the first book and that's why it's no good?

You've got a point there, BF. I only saw the first film. I have not read any of the books. I guess I assumed that if the screenplay was bad, the book must be too, but I realize that isn't a legitimate assumption.

In light of this, I will withdraw my comment about the book. My apologies to the LaHayes.

Return to Top
#608577 - 09/05/06 10:47 PM Re: Has anybody here read...
Confused Banker Offline
Gold Star
Not to sound like a broken record but but I too felt that the series really lost steam as it went on. I loved the first few but I thought the series was supposed to be 6 or 8 books long. Then it felt as if the authors realized they had a good thing going and milked it for a while. (Probably not my place to say that and I am in no position to judge their motives - just my perception/misconception.) I wanted to see it through so I read through the end and even read the first prequel. When the second prequel was released I tapped out. I only saw the first movie but I thought the book was MUCH better than the movie.

Return to Top
#608578 - 09/05/06 11:09 PM Re: Has anybody here read...
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

You've got a point there, BF. I only saw the first film. I have not read any of the books. I guess I assumed that if the screenplay was bad, the book must be too, but I realize that isn't a legitimate assumption.

In light of this, I will withdraw my comment about the book. My apologies to the LaHayes.

Read the first three books and you'll see he does tell a great story. Unfortunately, it does start to drop off in interest after that.

Besides, the screen play wasn't that bad. The acting might have been though

Return to Top
#608579 - 09/06/06 01:19 AM Re: Has anybody here read...
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Quote:

Read the first three books and you'll see he does tell a great story. Unfortunately, it does start to drop off in interest after that.

Thanks for the recommendation,BF, but I'll pass. Intepretational fiction of end-time Bible prophecy doesn't really capture my interest.

However, someone recommended an author to me by the name of Bill Myers. I looked at this website and the subject of one book really caught my eye. I may give it a try. The book is called "Eli" and it's about what it might be like if the first coming of Christ and been in our days. That's the kind of "Christian" fiction that interests me -- something that makes me think... about Him, about who He is, and about what He has done, and about how I react to Him. That's where the real interest is for me. Everything else is secondary to me right now. That's why I like the fiction of George MacDonald so much.

Return to Top
#608580 - 09/06/06 12:43 PM Re: Has anybody here read...
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Homestar, I read Eli and thought it was good. I enjoyed it.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2