Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#60873 - 02/12/03 06:30 PM Credit Card Check holds
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've done some searching but can't find a definite answer. Our hold policy states to place exception holds on 'third party credit card checks.' Allowable or not?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#60874 - 02/12/03 06:46 PM Re: Credit Card Check holds
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Probably not. Reg CC says you can't make a blanket hold policy for a class of checks, which is the way this sounds. However, if you have specific information that a check is doubtful, you could maybe use the Reason To Doubt Collectibility on a case-by-case basis (but you have to have specific information pertaining to THAT check.) It may be easier to revise the policy to say that type of check will be sent for collection rather than taken for deposit.

Return to Top
#60875 - 02/12/03 07:18 PM Re: Credit Card Check holds
Tina A Sweet Offline
Diamond Poster
Tina A Sweet
Marysville, Ca.
I say no. Credit Card checks themselves have their share of questionability, but I have researched this myself and find they fall under Reg CC. An as stated you may not define a class of checks.

Return to Top
#60876 - 02/12/03 08:55 PM Re: Credit Card Check holds
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
The FDIC consumer compliance examiners are very clear on this issue. Using credit card checks as a reason to place a hold will get you written up for a violation of Reg cc. It is a class of checks and this is not a good reason to place a hold.

Return to Top
#60877 - 02/12/03 09:21 PM Re: Credit Card Check holds
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
(And guess who taught some of them to be that way...... Although I can't take credit for ALL of them.)

Return to Top
#60878 - 02/13/03 12:36 PM Re: Credit Card Check holds
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Aren't we allowed to put case by case holds on anything we want without a reason?

Return to Top
#60879 - 02/13/03 12:59 PM Re: Credit Card Check holds
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Yes, in general. Perhaps my choice of wording was poor, I was not referring to case by case holds but infrequent, well considered exception holds. Sorry about that.

Return to Top
#60880 - 02/13/03 02:29 PM Re: Credit Card Check holds
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Whew! Thanks.

Return to Top