Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#613607 - 09/15/06 11:42 AM I wonder if she had GPS?
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Driving home last evening, I saw a car working on a quota of 5 lane changes per mile. As I came closer, I noticed the driver; cell phone in one hand, gesturing with the other. Then I read her bumper sticker; "Don't worry, God is in control."

I thought, "Even so, I'd like to see both hands on the wheel, please."

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#613608 - 09/15/06 11:47 AM Re: I wonder if she had GPS?
Buddy Love Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
Did you gesture back at her?

Return to Top
#613609 - 09/15/06 11:51 AM Re: I wonder if she had GPS?
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Nah, I was more interested in staying out of her immediate vicinity.

Return to Top
#613610 - 09/15/06 11:56 AM Re: I wonder if she had GPS?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
That was me...

Return to Top
#613611 - 09/15/06 12:26 PM Re: I wonder if she had GPS?
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Couldn't have been, Springer's closed for the season last week!

Return to Top
#613612 - 09/15/06 01:16 PM Re: I wonder if she had GPS?
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Several times recently I have had other drivers look directly at my car--and then proceed to cut me off. Invariably, they had cell phones pressed to their ears.

Return to Top
#613613 - 09/15/06 01:14 PM Re: I wonder if she had GPS?
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
I guess looking at you is supposed to substitute for those archaic turn signal things.....

Return to Top
#613614 - 09/15/06 01:25 PM Re: I wonder if she had GPS?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
LOL, AML. I cannot stand cell phone drivers. They are in a state of oblivion. In the left lane doing 50 mph... arrrgggghhh.

Return to Top
#613615 - 09/15/06 02:56 PM Re: I wonder if she had GPS?
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
I pulled up to a four way stop the other day, continued as it was my turn, and this car across the stop, didnt even stop take the time to stop at the intersection and kept coming towards me but I proceeded to turn anyway b/c I had the right of way. This car sits on the horn as if I did something wrong. They were obviously in a hurry. Like I care. I honked back and then they honked again, rode my tail and then went around me as if they were on their way to a fire. I waived at them as they went by and said have a nice day to them. Its not like they heard me, but obey the laws, people!

Return to Top
#613616 - 09/15/06 03:56 PM Re: I wonder if she had GPS?
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
There are days when I'm driving to and from work that I think I am just going to go postal. Here is Vegas there are some crazy drivers. People on their phones, eating, reading, writing, just about anything. They have no consideration for anyone else, and it drives me crazy. I wish that we had a system in place where you could use a paintball gun to shoot all of the jerks cars on the road, then you'd at least know to stay away from the rainbow spattered cars.

Return to Top
#613617 - 09/15/06 03:58 PM Re: I wonder if she had GPS?
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
LOL! I've always said it's a good thing I don't own a gun. I'd be in prison right now (I'm not a very patient driver).

Sing...you live in Vegas? I'm soooo jealous.

Return to Top
#613618 - 09/15/06 04:06 PM Re: I wonder if she had GPS?
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
Then I could get a paint job without paying for it!

Return to Top
#613619 - 09/15/06 04:11 PM Re: I wonder if she had GPS?
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
A couple days before the "God is in control" car (and really, when did She have time to take the license test?) I was behind a driver who was, I kid you not, praying a rosary with his/her right hand while hopefully steering with the left.

Return to Top
#613620 - 09/15/06 04:23 PM Re: I wonder if she had GPS?
Spenser Offline
Washington state
It's not just people talking on cell phones, while driving, that make me crazy. I hate being in a grocery store or walking in the mall, or eating in a restaurant, and having to listen to someone's personal conversation. I can't believe that so many people are so lonely, that they need to be in constant contact with another person. It's multi-tasking taken to an absurd level......

Return to Top
#613621 - 09/15/06 04:55 PM Re: I wonder if she had GPS?
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Another aspect of cell phones that is getting completely out of control is text-messaging. I can see sending a quick text once in a while if you are actually considerate enough to not use your phone where you shouldn't, but I know people who literally spend all evening texting someone back and forth. If this person was such a good friend (or that interested in you) that person would be with you or at least take their attention from whatever else they are doing and talk to you for 5 minutes!

OK, I'm done.

Return to Top
#613622 - 09/15/06 05:05 PM Re: I wonder if she had GPS?
Maxx Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
I completely agree with text messaging Dude. The whole cell phone thing has gotten out of hand.
I had heard that some states were looking into making it illegal to talk on it while driving. Has anyone heard if any states have passed that?

Return to Top
#613623 - 09/15/06 05:04 PM Re: I wonder if she had GPS?
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
It hasn't happened statewide in CA yet, but the Governator wants to make it so. I believe there are some cities that have banned cell-phone use while driving unless you have a hands-free device.

Return to Top
#613624 - 09/15/06 05:07 PM Re: I wonder if she had GPS?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
There are some communities in Ohio who have banned cell phones while driving, but it's not a state-wide thing.

I'm just not the kind of person that needs to be talking to someone (or with someone) 24/7. When I get home I just want to relax and unwind with the cats.

When I'm running errands I'm thinking about getting home to relax. The last thing I need is someone calling me while I'm pumping gas, getting groceries, etc.

Return to Top
#613625 - 09/15/06 05:08 PM Re: I wonder if she had GPS?
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
I don't know if I'm just getting older or what, but people don't seem to have manners like they used to. People just have their phones plastered to their ears, and go about doing things and ignoring other people along the way. No more "please, thank you, excuse me, bless you" not a thing!Whether they are behind the wheel or just walking around, they need to remember to respect the people around them.

Return to Top
#613626 - 09/15/06 05:18 PM Re: I wonder if she had GPS?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

I don't know if I'm just getting older or what, but people don't seem to have manners like they used to. People just have their phones plastered to their ears, and go about doing things and ignoring other people along the way. No more "please, thank you, excuse me, bless you" not a thing!Whether they are behind the wheel or just walking around, they need to remember to respect the people around them.

So true. I had my car washed while I was at lunch and the woman in front of me couldn't get off the phone long enough to tell the attendant what kind of wash she wanted. She stayed on the phone when she went inside and paid and stayed on the phone the whole time her car went through the wash and as it was dried and the windows and tires washed. I heard her conversation (how could I not) and it was just general jibber jabber. Like that couldn't have waited.

Return to Top
#613627 - 09/15/06 05:27 PM Re: I wonder if she had GPS?
Spenser Offline
Washington state
I love it when a person, cell phone in-ear, comes up to a bank teller counter, or a grocery check out counter, or any retail counter and the teller or clerk has to wait for them to finish talking before they can help the dim-wit.

Return to Top
#613628 - 09/15/06 05:28 PM Re: I wonder if she had GPS?
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
Texas passed a law that that new drivers cannot talk on a cell phone for 6 months while driving. While I think this is stupid, a 16 year old is still not experienced enough after 6 moths of driving to be talking on a cell phone let alone a year. I think they should pass it around to all states.

Return to Top
#613629 - 09/15/06 05:37 PM Re: I wonder if she had GPS?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
NJ passed a law that hand-held phones aren't allowed, but most people seem to ignore that.

Return to Top
#613630 - 09/15/06 05:54 PM Re: I wonder if she had GPS?
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
I like it when some people are talking on the cell, reading, and trying to write at the same time. I just wish it wasn't true, but I have seen it happening more than and more.

Return to Top
#613631 - 09/15/06 06:15 PM Re: I wonder if she had GPS?
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Quote:

It's not just people talking on cell phones, while driving, that make me crazy. I hate being in a grocery store or walking in the mall, or eating in a restaurant, and having to listen to someone's personal conversation. I can't believe that so many people are so lonely, that they need to be in constant contact with another person. It's multi-tasking taken to an absurd level......

Well then you need some of these to hand out.

http://www.knockknock.biz/cgi-bin/slideshow.pl?ID=467

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2