Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#615458 - 09/20/06 02:44 PM Industry coding
MN Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
I'm curious as to how many banks are industry coding their business customers. I know this isn't a requirement based on the exam manual, but are regulators really wanting to see banks do this? I think it's a good idea, but we are only a $170M bank, and I don't know if it's necessary. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#615459 - 09/20/06 03:21 PM Re: Industry coding
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
We do and I think most banks do.
It helps to review the activity by the type of business as you can spot someone whose activity differs from the rest.

Return to Top
#615460 - 09/20/06 03:56 PM Re: Industry coding
CrashDavis Offline
Gold Star
We also do industry codes. We have trained the new account staff do this this part and I review annually. This helps identify possible high risk accounts.

Return to Top
#615461 - 09/20/06 05:19 PM Re: Industry coding
Titanic Offline
Gold Star
Titanic
My Workplace
In addition, when you use "business standards" in this case the industry codes, it demonstrates that you are working proactively in preventing, detecting, reporting, and correcting any signs of criminal or suspicious activity.

Eventhough, is not a requirement yet...I'm sure that on the next revision of the manual they might implement it...

You are a small bank, that's even better....you have fewer business customers do code now...than 2-5 years from today..

We are a 300M bank, and we are implementing the industry code for easy identification of HIGH risk accounts...

Return to Top
#615462 - 09/20/06 07:36 PM Re: Industry coding
Jerseygirl Offline
Platinum Poster
Jersey Shore
For those who code - does your platform system have a pulldown menu or something for the account opening person to use or what is your source of codes?

Return to Top
#615463 - 09/21/06 02:42 PM Re: Industry coding
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
We use NAICS codes. Although they are available on our system, the NAICS code search on their web site is the preferred method of wading through the code options.

Return to Top
#615464 - 09/21/06 03:21 PM Re: Industry coding
Dazed and Confused Offline
Gold Star
Dazed and Confused
Big XII South
And don't forget ... just because the business customer's industry may defined as a high-risk industry ... that does automatically indicate the customer is "high risk" and has to be monitored as such.

But I'm curious about the industry coding ... is this a separate coding on the computer system in addition to the overall risk rating of the customer? Just thinking out loud ... isn't the industry code a component of the overall customer's risk rating?

Return to Top
#615465 - 09/21/06 03:51 PM Re: Industry coding
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
It is just one of the factors we use to determine customer risk.

Return to Top
#615466 - 09/22/06 10:53 AM Re: Industry coding
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Consider too that the NAICS codes aren't the only way to go. Developing a coding system that only identifies the persons and entities subject to expanded examination overview can be perfectly adequate for a small bank. For example, assign a specific code to each NRA, NBFI, cash intensive business, etc.

Return to Top
#615467 - 09/29/06 07:47 PM Re: Industry coding
AML247 Offline
100 Club
SC
We're getting ready to code all business customers to start -- curious as to how far you drilled down with the NAICS codes, or did you only code with two digits as to the type of business. Would anyone be willing to share their method and corresponding risk ratings?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z