Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#620019 - 09/29/06 05:54 PM "For Deposit Only" and cash back
Kaos Offline
100 Club
Kaos
If a customer comes in with their check indorsed "For Deposit Only", but they want cash back on their deposit slip; what is the ruling on this type of restrictive indorsement?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#620020 - 09/29/06 06:26 PM Re: "For Deposit Only" and cash back
CAWorkingGirl Offline
Gold Star
We do not allow Cash Back on checks endorsed this way. Usually we only see this on Business deposits, as they usually have an office person making the deposits and don't want them to have the ability to alter the deposit slip to take cash.

Return to Top
#620021 - 09/29/06 07:51 PM Re: "For Deposit Only" and cash back
Kaos Offline
100 Club
Kaos
Same here, but this would be a check made payable to me, I wrote For Deposit Only on the back, but decided later that I needed some cash. Should the restrictive indorsement be crossed out, or should we just allow the cash back? Seems like confusion for the tellers, but making the customer deposit it and write a check is not exactly customer friendly either.

Return to Top
#620022 - 09/29/06 08:27 PM Re: "For Deposit Only" and cash back
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
While maybe not the compliant thing to do, I've often had the customer strike out the restrictive endorsement and sign below (and on the deposit slip). I reminded the customer that the first endorsement binds the check for deposit only, but we were making an exception. The client felt informed and accomodated, and we kept them happy. But, remember it's an exception.

Return to Top
#620023 - 10/03/06 02:08 AM Re: "For Deposit Only" and cash back
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
It's my understanding that the restrictive endorsement should stay and a withdrawal should be made from the account - assuming the presenter/depositor is an authorized signer. But I'll defer to a guru.

Return to Top
#620024 - 10/05/06 04:24 PM Re: "For Deposit Only" and cash back
CAWorkingGirl Offline
Gold Star
The logic I would use on this is: Would you cash this check that was being presented for deposit?

For a personal account the answer would probably be yes, thus allowing the payee to change the endorsement (single ling through, and customers initials). On a business account not so much.

If the check is payable to ABC Company, and a signer was in front of you could they cash the check? If they can't cash it they should not be able to get cash back.

Any other opinions? I always feel like I am missing something...

Return to Top
#620025 - 10/05/06 06:20 PM Re: "For Deposit Only" and cash back
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
I'm no guru, but I agree with BBoyd: accept the check for deposit, and then do a separate withdrawal from the account (provided they have sufficient funds and you are not placing a hold on the check).

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett