Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#620082 - 09/29/06 07:11 PM Inuit tell Chavez "no thanks"
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
http://www.adn.com/news/politics/story/8248161p-8143814c.html

here is a link to an Alaskan newspaper story of American natives telling Venezuela they don't want the free oil

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#620083 - 09/29/06 07:10 PM Re: Inuit tell Chavez "no thanks"
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Well, one would think that Alaska could produce its own oil, no?

Return to Top
#620084 - 09/29/06 07:35 PM Re: Inuit tell Chavez "no thanks"
CompDat Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
Quote:

Well, one would think that Alaska could produce its own oil, no?

I guess I didn't realize that Alaska was a sovergn nation that was ruled by the Inuit's. This world you live in DQ, is it a pleasant place?

Return to Top
#620085 - 09/29/06 07:31 PM Re: Inuit tell Chavez "no thanks"
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Oh, so they can't then? I thought that Alaska was loaded with oil?

Return to Top
#620086 - 09/29/06 07:42 PM Re: Inuit tell Chavez "no thanks"
CompDat Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
Quote:

Oh, so they can't then? I thought that Alaska was loaded with oil?

So let me get this strait. Who are you suggesting extracts, or does not extract this oil. See when I read your post it implies that the Inuit's sent the "emphatic" no to Chavez because they have their own oil.

They have oil. Unless they have some arrangement that I don't know about, then they get it from the same place I do, the pump.

DQ's world. Bush = Satan
AML = God
Inuit's = Rulers of the United States.

I just did a quick google search and it seems to suggest that the Inuit's don't get any oil. They might get some funding or other kickbacks that I am unaware of, but you don't see me in here pretending to know everything about every subject.

Return to Top
#620087 - 09/29/06 07:37 PM Re: Inuit tell Chavez "no thanks"
Buddy Love Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
Who turned Chavez down? The Inuit did? Even if they own land with oil under (and the mineral interests), unless they also have the equipment to extract and process it, I think they'd be out of luck. Of course, I think your post was a bit tongue in cheek!

Return to Top
#620088 - 09/29/06 07:48 PM Re: Inuit tell Chavez "no thanks"
CompDat Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
Quote:

Who turned Chavez down? The Inuit did? Even if they own land with oil under (and the mineral interests), unless they also have the equipment to extract and process it, I think they'd be out of luck. Of course, I think your post was a bit tongue in cheek!

Stop using information to formulate your BOL responses. It just confuses things. You should just make blanket, pro Chavez, statements without thinking.

Return to Top
#620089 - 09/29/06 08:13 PM Re: Inuit tell Chavez "no thanks"
XODUS Offline
Power Poster
XODUS
they don't need Venezualan oil they have whale blubber..

Return to Top
#620090 - 09/29/06 08:41 PM Re: Inuit tell Chavez "no thanks"
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
You are on to something here Marie. Don't the citizens of Alaska share in the tax payments from oil revenues? It seems like the payments are in the thousands per tax payer, or in the form of a tax rebate. It is hard to see how anyone in Alaska can be poor with all that oil tax revenue they are enjoying. I don't know if I would be as principled as these Aleut villagers are and refuse free oil. God bless 'em !

Return to Top
#620091 - 09/29/06 09:03 PM Re: Inuit tell Chavez "no thanks"
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Quote:

It is hard to see how anyone in Alaska can be poor with all that oil tax revenue they are enjoying.

I Sincerely hope you meant that "tongue in Cheek". A large number of native Alaskans are extremely poor with no running water or indoor plumbing. They survive on what seafood they can catch. Please read this.
Last edited by waldensouth; 09/29/06 09:05 PM.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#620092 - 09/29/06 10:11 PM Re: Inuit tell Chavez "no thanks"
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Yep that is how I meant it, the oil is overflowing here in Texas too, but the numbers in poverty are distressing. Looking 30 years down the road is just more of the same and worse. We in Texas, measured in the aggregate, will be less educated, earning less money and controlling less wealth. It is a bleak picture. I would imagine the future will be the same for the poor of Alaska.

Return to Top
#620093 - 09/29/06 10:16 PM Re: Inuit tell Chavez "no thanks"
Buddy Love Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
Quote:

Yep that is how I meant it, the oil is overflowing here in Texas too, but the numbers in poverty are distressing. Looking 30 years down the road is just more of the same and worse. We in Texas, measured in the aggregate, will be less educated, earning less money and controlling less wealth. It is a bleak picture. I would imagine the future will be the same for the poor of Alaska.

..and a good number of those in poverty were already in poverty before they crossed the border into Texas.

Return to Top
#620094 - 09/30/06 03:32 AM Re: Inuit tell Chavez "no thanks"
XODUS Offline
Power Poster
XODUS
I hate to sound harsh on this whole poverty crusade thing but a lot of those people choose to live that life. It is no different than the people that live in Appalachia. We see them and think how poor, they have no idea they are poor it's all they have ever known. Just because their society is 100 years behind yours doesn't make them worse off. A lot of Inuit live better, healthier lives than most Americans because of this lifestyle.

Return to Top
#620095 - 09/30/06 12:50 PM Re: Inuit tell Chavez "no thanks"
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

Looking 30 years down the road is just more of the same and worse. We in Texas, measured in the aggregate, will be less educated...

Is that possible?

Return to Top
#620096 - 10/02/06 08:12 PM Re: Inuit tell Chavez "no thanks"
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I refer you to the Texas Demographer's website and report entitled "Population Change in Texas: Implications for Human and Socioeconomic Resources in the 21st Century". For example, projected percent of the Texas labor force in 2040 without a high school diploma will increase from 19% to 30%. The projected percent of those with a bachelor's degree will go down from 18% to 13%. The average household income in 2000 in Texas was $54,441. That compares to $47,883 in 2040 (in 2000 dollars). The percent in poverty of total households in Texas in 2000 was 14.4 percent. It is projected in 2040 to be 16.6%. Most of this is the result of immigration and the succeeding generations of the less educated. It really is a bleak picture when you consider tax revenues will be less and the costs associated with government transfer payments for the less educated will be increasing at the same time. California, New Mexico and Arizona are in similar boats.

Return to Top