Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#621302 - 10/04/06 03:49 PM Foley
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
I am shocked that no one has started a thread on the Foley scandal yet, so here goes.

I find it interesting that he's using the victim defense -- he's an alcoholic, he's gay, he was molested by his priest, his mother didn't love him enough... (I thought that was a liberal thing )

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#621303 - 10/04/06 03:53 PM Re: Foley
Spenser Offline
Washington state
I think it is interesting that he used the movie star dodge and entered a 'rehabilitation center. Now, he's unavailable for any interviews, etc...........

Return to Top
#621304 - 10/04/06 03:53 PM Re: Foley
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
This has got to making the Republicans nuts. A gay man in their very midst.

Return to Top
#621305 - 10/04/06 04:01 PM Re: Foley
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
And, in a stunning display of conservative cogitation, the suggested 'fix' (from Rep. Roy LaHood) is to eliminate the page program itself.

Return to Top
#621306 - 10/04/06 04:03 PM Re: Foley
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Well TICG, it is a Liberal thing. But Foley used to be a Liberal, I guess that's where he learned it.

Return to Top
#621307 - 10/04/06 04:01 PM Re: Foley
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

And, in a stunning display of conservative cogitation, the suggested 'fix' (from Rep. Roy LaHood) is to eliminate the page program itself.

Well, it couldn't have been Foley's fault. Those young boys must have been tempting him.

Return to Top
#621308 - 10/04/06 04:09 PM Re: Foley
CompDat Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
At least our guy resigned

WASHINGTON — Former Rep. Mark Foley's sudden resignation last week after it was revealed that he had sexually explicit electronic conversations with teenage male congressional pages was not the first time that a congressman's conduct with pages was the center of Washington scandal.

In 1983, two congressmen, Reps. Gerry E. Studds and Daniel B. Crane, were caught having sexual relationships with pages — Studds with a male page and Crane with a female page. Studds, a Democrat, would go on to be re-elected in his Massachusetts district and served until his 1996 retirement, while Crane, a Republican, would lose his Illinois seat to the scandal.

Both men were censured the same day by the House Committee on Standards of Official Conduct — commonly known as the House ethics committee.

Studds' involvement dated back to 1973, according to the House investigation. He admitted to having consensual sexual relations with a 17-year-old boy that year, and documents showed he had made advances on two other male pages.

Studds, 47 at the time, didn't back down during the investigation and instead lashed out at the investigation for invading his privacy; he said that because he was a gay, elected public official, it was much "more complex" to live a "meaningful private life."

Lawyer: Ex-Rep. Foley Checks Into Alcohol Rehab House Speaker Hastert Calls for Justice Department to Probe Rep. Foley Scandal Democrats Accuse Republicans of Neglecting Scandalized Congressman's Behavior House Republican Election Head: I Told Hastert About Foley E-Mails Months Ago Republicans Offer Explanations in Wake of Foley's E-Mail Scandal With Teen Boy Former Rep. Mark Foley Leaves D.C. in Hurry After E-Mail Scandal The accusations against Crane, 46 at the time, were from 1980. Crane admitted to the relationship and apologized to his family.

"I'm human, and in no way did I violate my oath of office. I only hope my wife and children will forgive me," Crane said.

Both Studds and Crane were censured — officially admonished — by the House because of their conduct. Although there are no specific consequences for a censure, Studds was forced to step down from his position as chairman of a subcommittee that oversaw the Merchant Marine and fisheries, and Crane lost his re-election bid in 1984.

One person who had been in charge of the House page program, James C. Howarth, also became embroiled in the scandal. He had been in charge of the House page program until 1982, and in 1983 allegations surfaced that he'd had a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old female page. He resigned from the job in 1983.

Howarth had been accused also of buying cocaine on House property and giving the page with whom he'd had a relationship leniency to miss work. The House ethics committee cleared him of those charges.

Return to Top
#621309 - 10/04/06 04:03 PM Re: Foley
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

cogitation

if i had a nickel for every time i heard that used in a sentence...

Return to Top
#621310 - 10/04/06 04:03 PM Re: Foley
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Gays should be outraged by this. Being gay doesn't lead to pedophilia.

Return to Top
#621311 - 10/04/06 04:04 PM Re: Foley
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
you'd have a nickel?

Return to Top
#621312 - 10/04/06 04:04 PM Re: Foley
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

you'd have a nickel?

Return to Top
#621313 - 10/04/06 04:05 PM Re: Foley
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

i don't know what bible informs your logic.

Return to Top
#621314 - 10/04/06 04:05 PM Re: Foley
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

I don't think any but the most ignorant of people believe it does. I think most people see Foley as the pathetic human being he is.

Return to Top
#621315 - 10/04/06 04:07 PM Re: Foley
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
At least when liberals are outed, they usually only have one vice, when conservatives are they have all of them.

Return to Top
#621316 - 10/04/06 04:14 PM Re: Foley
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
What can you say?

The guy's an idiot and it was handled terribly.

Too many similar situations on both sides of the aisle, and it truly disgusts me what we let all of these public employees get away with.

Has anyone else seen that list of offenses and distasteful issues by members of both parties in Congress?

It's a shame the truly good ones are few and far between.

Return to Top
#621317 - 10/04/06 04:15 PM Re: Foley
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

At least when liberals are outed, they usually only have one vice, when conservatives are they have all of them.

That's a pathetic post.

Return to Top
#621318 - 10/04/06 04:09 PM Re: Foley
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

Better organized? More acquisitive? More efficient office staff?

Return to Top
#621319 - 10/04/06 04:10 PM Re: Foley
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

Could be.

Return to Top
#621320 - 10/04/06 04:22 PM Re: Foley
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Quote:

I am shocked that no one has started a thread on the Foley scandal yet, so here goes.

Ya know, I was kinda shocked that nobody brought it up either. But then I figured that you Libs were smart enough to realize that bringing up political sex scandals was a no win situation for you. I guess I was wrong!

Return to Top
#621321 - 10/04/06 04:40 PM Re: Foley
CompDat Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
Quote:

Quote:

Ya know, I was kinda shocked that nobody brought it up either. But then I figured that you Libs were smart enough to realize that bringing up political sex scandals was a no win situation for you. I guess I was wrong!

Sort of ironic how they ignore it when their guy does it. I guess one vice includes infidelity and drug use. I have learned so much from you liberals. 1) The Inuits rule the world and 2) 2 is equal to 1 3) The US is only in debt to the UN and provides no funding or support from personnel.

Return to Top
#621322 - 10/04/06 04:43 PM Re: Foley
CompDat Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Could be.

Woiw I did not think I would ever see that SP would describe the conservatives as Better organized, more acquisitive, and more efficient office staff I am glad she has that pseudo degree in communications because it has certainly helped her reading.

Return to Top
#621323 - 10/04/06 04:39 PM Re: Foley
A_G Offline
10K Club
I usually dont get involved in these kinds of threads but were the pages that he allegedly was inappropriate with of legal, consenting age? I can't seem to find an article which indicates how old they are. Because if they were not of age then nobody should be comparing him to Clinton. That's a huge difference between the two that can't be ignored.

However, if they were of legal age, then compare away...

Return to Top
#621324 - 10/04/06 04:40 PM Re: Foley
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Only conservatives would equate sex between two consenting adults with sexual advances toward children.

Return to Top
#621325 - 10/04/06 04:41 PM Re: Foley
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Pages are usually high school students.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#621326 - 10/04/06 04:42 PM Re: Foley
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Foley is also relying on the fact that he was sexually abused by a clergyman when he was a boy... hmmmm... church issues?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4