Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#621553 - 10/04/06 09:41 PM Any woman had a breast cancer scare
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
Had my mamogram yesterday and they called today to say that I need to come in for another, plus a breast ultra sound. They also said that I wouldn't beable to leave without a consultation. This sounds serious and the earliest appt is Monday. I'm terrified. Two of my paternal Aunts did have breast cancer well into their 70's and 90's. I was due for exam in April and postponed since I didn't think it was a big deal. Just 10 days ago I had a Dr. breast exam and all appeared to be fine. Can anyone help me relax a little between now and Monday. I guess the statement that I had to stay, after the tests, to "discuss" the results has me freaked out. This, by the way, is a very well known, nationally recognized hospital, not some small place.

Return to Top
#621554 - 10/04/06 09:56 PM Re: Any woman had a breast cancer scare
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
No practical advice/info for you (you'll be getting that from some posters that have lots of real life advice to offer). Just know that worrying is totally normal, you're a strong woman and can deal with whatever comes your way, and that lots of us will be saying a special prayer for you.

Return to Top
#621555 - 10/04/06 09:59 PM Re: Any woman had a breast cancer scare
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
Thank you so much, you can't even imagine how much this means to me. Honestly I have tears in my eyes. I never thought to ask for prayers with so many others here truly hurting.

Return to Top
#621556 - 10/04/06 10:06 PM Re: Any woman had a breast cancer scare
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Take a deep breath!!!!! Asking you to come back can mean any number of things, from density issues to something in there they want to look at. And, if it is any kind of mass, 90% are begnine (spelling???)

I am a breast cancer survivor - 8 years - and have had a couple of those kind of exams since the initial diagnosis and surgery so I do know how you feel right now. I can tell you that every single one in the last 8 years has been nothing to worry about, scare tissue etc.

And, if there is a problem, you are at a
Quote:

very well known, nationally recognized hospital, not some small place.

Do something you really enjoy this weekend, keep busy and say a few prayers till Monday. Let me know how it went after your appointment, I care.

Return to Top
#621557 - 10/04/06 11:03 PM Re: Any woman had a breast cancer scare
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
My mother has what they call dense breasts and has to have her mammograms done more than once. She went through the same roller coaster you have. I won't tell you not to worry (you will any way and who can blame you) but I will tell you there are plenty of people who have to have them done more than once and live to tell the tale. You are in my prayers.

Return to Top
#621558 - 10/04/06 11:00 PM Re: Any woman had a breast cancer scare
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
tadah, I had a scare last year. I was petrified. I had to go back for further mammo's & an ultrasound, etc. and they said it was a buildup of fatty tissue. I went back 6 months later and it was clear. I'm on a 6 month cycle of mammograms - I have a family history - we lost my cousin at age 40 after a 6 year battle.

Corky and another BOLer who is a breast cancer survivor (who I won't name unless she comes forward) were wonderful support for me during the few weeks of not knowing for sure.

I wish I had magic words to take away your fear. Just know that we're here for you and I will keep you in my prayers.

(((hugs)))

Return to Top
#621559 - 10/05/06 12:14 AM Re: Any woman had a breast cancer scare
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
Thank you so much. I just can't keep from crying. I have a 15 yr old. My mom died when I was relatively young from heart disease. I keep thinking that my son never knew my mom and has no interest of me telling him any history of her and I don't want to be like that, she died of heart disease and I just got released with heart related problems. The poor kid puked his guts up at the hospital when I was hooked up on the all the heart machines. I'm so very scared, especially since this last experience. It feels like I'm falling apart. I'm not fat, have a fairly good family history. Grand parents lived long lives, parents didn't do as well. Sorry to blubber, but husband isn't treating this as serious and can't bother the teenager since he is too sensitive. Thanks for listening. At least my best friend since we were 3 has insisted going to my next appointment. She won't let me face the diagnosis alone. And that's truly what friends are about.
Again, I appreciate any prayers. I know that BOL has answered many and I have done my share for others here. God Bless all of you.

Return to Top
#621560 - 10/05/06 01:43 AM Re: Any woman had a breast cancer scare
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
Prayers coming your way tahdah. Please don't stress about it, I know it is easier said than done. My nieces have both had lumps discovered during exams and they were benign, and one they believed was in fact caused by stress. Especially with heart related issues, please do something that will take your mind off of everything. Go shopping with your friend and treat yourself to a nice dinner. We are here when you need us.

Return to Top
#621561 - 10/05/06 02:16 AM Re: Any woman had a breast cancer scare
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
I'm glad to hear that you have a support network outside of your family. How wonderful that your friend will go with you. I had a friend (who coincidently has BC) who really wanted to go with me, but I needed to go alone. I couldn't even let my husband go with. I know I was scared to have my friend there because she made it so real. But, just knowing that I had friends who were there for me was so comforting.

It's easier said than done, but really try to focus on the moment and not get bogged down with the future. If you're anything like me, if I start going there, I go from "I have a hangnail" to "I'm dying" in about 30 seconds. I've worked very hard in my life to try to stay more in the moment and it's really helped me concentrate on today ... we can't control tomorrow - we can only control the here & now.

Take care of yourself this weekend and know that your fears are real and natural. Remember you have a whole family here.

Return to Top
#621562 - 10/05/06 03:34 AM Re: Any woman had a breast cancer scare
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Tadah, I also had to go back for a retest a couple of years ago. Turned out to be nothing. I think some women do have dense breast and the test can give a false positive.

Thanks for reminding me I am past due for my squash.

Return to Top
#621563 - 10/05/06 12:50 PM Re: Any woman had a breast cancer scare
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
First of all be thankful that through testing these things can be detected very early even if it is just dense tissue. I have had to go back for ultrasounds. I have had 3 ultrasounds, no family history of breast cancer, what I have are deep tissue cysts. I have had a couple that the Dr. was unable to get fluid from so I had to have an ultrasound. One poster stated that 90% of breast lumps are benign. That is true. The wondering and waiting for results is the worse part of it. Good luck to you and I hope everything is fine.

P.S. My 23 year old daughter just had a lump removed from her breast. It was a fibroadenoma. I had never heard of that before but for two weeks our family had all the fear and anxiety of wondering and waiting for results.

Return to Top
#621564 - 10/05/06 12:59 PM Re: Any woman had a breast cancer scare
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
this happened to me last year, Tahdah. It is very scary. I had a needle biopsey and it turned out to be fibroadenoma. Non-cancerous, just sometimes painful and small fibroid tumors that grow in the breasts. Doc told me to cut out the caffiene. which I have - mostly. Breath deeply and try not to stress about it. I know that's hard - I come from a family where worrying is a fine art that's handed down to each succeeding generation. Try dealing only with what you know and let God take care of the rest. You are in my prayers. Here is a site that tells about fibroadenoma.

Last edited by waldensouth; 10/05/06 05:06 PM.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#621565 - 10/05/06 02:23 PM Re: Any woman had a breast cancer scare
MyKidsMom Offline
Platinum Poster
MyKidsMom
TEXAS
I had a recall last year too. Everything OK. I think it is fairly routine to discuss the findings after the testing. That is far better than waiting for days. Its hard not to worry though. I understand. Try to keep busy. Monday will be here before you know it. Just think about how fast ALL weekends seem to go!

Return to Top
#621566 - 10/05/06 04:59 PM Re: Any woman had a breast cancer scare
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
We will pray for you. I don't have any advice for you that hasn't already been stated. Try to get your mind off of it and find something you enjoy to keep you busy to pass the time. Stay strong.

Return to Top
#621567 - 10/05/06 05:14 PM Re: Any woman had a breast cancer scare
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
my mom had a scare...when through all the tests and then they went in a removed a chunk of her breast...it turned out to just be scar tissue, possibly from when she was a teenager and got hit hard in the boob by a basketball.

in highschool, i had three best friends...of the four of us, 3 of our moms had breast cancer scares, and 1 of our moms did actually have it--and is 2-3 years without it now.

hope it's just a scare for you, and if not, doctors have gotten really good at fixing these things now

Return to Top
#621568 - 10/05/06 05:18 PM Re: Any woman had a breast cancer scare
Anonymous
Unregistered

Be thankful they are not taking any chances. Usually when they call you back for more tests it turns out to be a precaution, not a bad prognosis.

I am a 10 year survivor of breast cancer. I've been through the ups and downs so I certainly understand what you're going through. I had a dear, dear friend whose doctor/radiologist wasn't as diligent as yours (and mine)and she is in heaven now. Take it as a blessing, try not to worry, prayers are with you from all over the country. Let us know if there is anything at all we can do for you.

Return to Top
#621569 - 10/05/06 06:11 PM Re: Any woman had a breast cancer scare
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Stay strong and positive this weekend. I will be thinking of you. Go to a pumpkin farm or do something else that is fun to take your mind off of Monday. Whatever happens you can bet we'll be here for you.

Return to Top
#621570 - 10/05/06 06:28 PM Re: Any woman had a breast cancer scare
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
My mother goes on six month cycles for mammograms also (my grandmother had breast cancer at a young age), and has, on two different occasions, had to go back because of something they saw in the results.
Both times, it was a problem with the machine making a blurring where there shouldn't have been. These instances happened almost ten years apart and in two different hospitals.

My mom was very upset each time, and explained feeling much the same as you have. She took comfort in the fact that they were being so careful both times, and treated each instance with much precaution and seriousness. Catching it early is really the key.

My grandmother beat her breast cancer and lived another 20 years, and my mom is now 56 and still cancer free.

I know it's a scary thing to go through, and my thoughts are with you.

Don't underestimate your child. I, too, was a very sensitive child (I was about the same age the first time it happened) but I can't imagine not being able to be there for my mom every time she needed me for support. It was more scary to know something was going on and letting my mind wander...

Return to Top
#621571 - 10/05/06 06:46 PM Re: Any woman had a breast cancer scare
wanted Offline
wanted
United States
Been there-Done that, last year and this year. Still have a follow up vist with DR in Nov. So far, has been fibroid cysts. I know it is hard, but try not to worry to much. Prayers for you. Let us know outcome.

Return to Top
#621572 - 10/06/06 01:35 AM Re: Any woman had a breast cancer scare
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
Can't tell you all how much your response has meant to me. I'm trying to chill until monday morning and will let you know the result. My friend called me today to tell me that she was a a business luncheon and the women on both sides of her said that they both got a call back. One only needs to go back in 6 months after the ultra sound and an MRI and the other was going after the luncheon. This made me feel a little better.(Maybe the testing is getting more sofisticated). Although what bothers me is that about 10 days ago my doctor did a manual examine and when I was in the hospital with my heart problem they did a chest exray.
I appreciate the prayers from all. I'm still really scared but feeling a little better. Last night I was just a basket case. Thank you so very much.

Return to Top
#621573 - 10/11/06 10:21 PM Re: Any woman had a breast cancer scare
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
tahdah, just checking in and hoping that no news is good news.

Return to Top
#621574 - 10/11/06 11:00 PM Re: Any woman had a breast cancer scare
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
I got the dates of the return wrong, I don't go until 10/16. At least I looked and had written down the 16th so I called before going, but it is very frustrating waiting. Thank you for asking and I will definately let you know the outcome. I know that October is breast cancer awarness month but it seems that every time I turn around there is something reminding me. Today, I got mail labels from Karmonas or Koman Center, can't remember which. Just something I didn't need to think about. I understand the need to bring awareness but it's just not what I need right now.

Return to Top
#621575 - 10/12/06 02:02 PM Re: Any woman had a breast cancer scare
Rie A Offline
Platinum Poster
Rie A
Maryland
Actually, that is another good sign, if they are waiting that long to bring you back.

Mom and I get called back regularly, dense tissue issues.

This last time they wanted me back the next day, really scary. After 4 very painful mammograms (you know you are in trouble when they say that "this time" they are going to try smaller paddles and turn them down as far as you can stand it ) and a sonogram it turned out to just be two fluid cysts tucked inside of fibrocystic tumors in my very small but dense breasts. They said that if I wanted, later, they could drain the two fluid cysts. Aw shucks, I barely fill out the B cup I have now unless I put on a Wonderbra. Let them fill up with a little fluid!!

Return to Top
#621576 - 10/13/06 01:49 AM Re: Any woman had a breast cancer scare
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
Thanks Rei, appreciate the input. The wait has been very stressful.

Return to Top
#621577 - 10/18/06 02:15 AM Re: Any woman had a breast cancer scare
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
How did it go?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett