BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#621797 - 10/05/06 05:55 PM Contacts?
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Anyone wear or have experience with the continuous wear contacts? I'm going to the eye doctor this afternoon and would like to try them.

I've been wearing contacts for 4-5 years now and think I'd really like them.

Jen

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#621798 - 10/05/06 06:43 PM Re: Contacts?
joeball Offline
100 Club
joeball
Bluegrass State
I tried them for a while several years ago. After a couple of days my eyes would become very sensitive to light and my doctor recommended that I go back to the daily wear. I do know some who wear them with no problem.

Return to Top
#621799 - 10/05/06 06:45 PM Re: Contacts?
slubgob Offline
Platinum Poster
I have just recently been thinking of switching to contact lens. What are continuous wear? Can you sleep with them in?

Return to Top
#621800 - 10/05/06 06:56 PM Re: Contacts?
joeball Offline
100 Club
joeball
Bluegrass State
Yes. You can usually wear them for about 30 days before replacing them with a new pair. Here is a link about continuous wear lenses. I hope it works.

http://vision.about.com/od/contactlenseseyeglasses/a/continuouswear.htm

Return to Top
#621801 - 10/05/06 07:08 PM Re: Contacts?
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
My daughter tried the 30 day/night lenses, but her eyes were just too dry. Just ask your Dr. for a trial pair and see how you like them. My daughter finally liked the 4th pair she tried.

Return to Top
#621802 - 10/05/06 07:09 PM Re: Contacts?
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
The eye doctor told me there are "extended wear" and "continuous wear". The extended wear you wear for a week or two and then throw away. The continuous wear are the ones you wear for 30 days. And yes, you do sleep in them.

She's going to let me try a pair for a week and see what I think.

Return to Top
#621803 - 10/05/06 07:28 PM Re: Contacts?
FlBankerGal Offline
FlBankerGal
Have worn both kinds for more years than I care to divulge! Had to switch to daily wear when I started have small blood vessels grow into the corena because of the lack of oxegen. Now I were extended wear which apparently allows more air into the eye but take them out every night.

Return to Top
#621804 - 10/05/06 08:10 PM Re: Contacts?
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I wish I could still wear contacts. About 2 years ago I started having difficulty. My left eye would always hurt and my eye doctor couldn't find anything wrong. So now I'm stuck wearing glasses - which I loathe.

Return to Top
#621805 - 10/05/06 09:07 PM Re: Contacts?
hobot Offline
Gold Star
hobot
Go LASIK, Skittles!

Return to Top
#621806 - 10/06/06 12:05 PM Re: Contacts?
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I'd like to. Maybe after we get the kids through school.

Return to Top
#621807 - 10/06/06 12:51 PM Re: Contacts?
CubDave Offline
Diamond Poster
Before I had Lasik, I used to wear my contacts for 30-60 days at a time, without ever taking them off, and I don't think they were really meant for it, but no harm no foul.

Return to Top
#621808 - 10/06/06 03:46 PM Re: Contacts?
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
I wear my contacts a lot longer than I am supposed to (about a month without taking them out), but my doctor says that my eyes are in good shape. I end up having to wear glasses for about a week in between pairs of contacts just so my eyes get a little rest. I've seen too many people get Lasik and then still need glasses for some things. I am not going to put myself through that if I "might" need glasses after.

Return to Top
#621809 - 10/07/06 10:54 PM Re: Contacts?
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Never could wear the extended or continuous because of dry eyes and sigmatism. Finally had the surgery and now I can see when I wake up. Although now I have to wear reading glasses.

Return to Top
#621810 - 10/10/06 02:23 PM Re: Contacts?
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
I'm trying the O2 Optics...have only slept in them once though, but didnt notice a problem. I was outside all weekend mowing, weed eating, etc and really felt like they needed to be cleaned.

Return to Top
#621811 - 10/11/06 11:20 PM Re: Contacts?
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
Skittles, can I say just one thing. My neice is an othmotologist (sp) and she said that the lasik is just not a proven thing. I wanted it and she said that if you get cataracts when older, that they may not be able to help you if you had Lasik. Something about the two surgeries not being compatible. She graduated at the top of her class at U of M Ann Arbor and she didn't want me to have the surgery, so I suffer with glasses because I can't wear the bi-focal contacts. I only need long distant vision but can't see a dang gone thing up close with glasses or contacts. Apparently I'm in a minority who will never need reading glasses, so I'll need a correction glass to wear over my contacts to see up close. Right now I rip off my glasses to see money in my wallet, newspapers, etc.

Return to Top