Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#622949 - 10/10/06 03:44 PM John Kerry on Bill Maher
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Maher asked [Senator John Kerry] what he got his wife for her birthday. Kerry said that he took his wife to a lovely retreat in Vermont. Begin transcript:

Maher: You could have went to New Hampshire and killed two birds with one stone.

Kerry: Or, I could have gone to 1600 Pennsylvania and killed the real bird with one stone.

How can he possibly think that this was an acceptable statement?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIF7_P92ORQ

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#622950 - 10/10/06 03:54 PM Re: John Kerry on Bill Maher
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
It's called a joke. Why is anything said about George Bush considered blashemy? Now all the right-wingers are going to be making this into "John Kerry's death threat against our commander-in-chief."

Return to Top
#622951 - 10/10/06 04:05 PM Re: John Kerry on Bill Maher
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Well, if BOL is any indication. The right wing doesn't have much of a sense of humor.

Return to Top
#622952 - 10/10/06 04:13 PM Re: John Kerry on Bill Maher
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
A joke huh? Seems to me that a Senior Senator would realize that making a joke about killing the President is a bad move.

But then again, I guess that realizing that would require just a bit of intelligence.

Return to Top
#622953 - 10/11/06 02:48 PM Re: John Kerry on Bill Maher
steven1950 Offline
Diamond Poster
steven1950
San Francisco
Quote:

A joke huh? Seems to me that a Senior Senator would realize that making a joke about killing the President is a bad move.

But then again, I guess that realizing that would require just a bit of intelligence.

Lighten up and get a life.

Return to Top
#622954 - 10/11/06 03:10 PM Re: John Kerry on Bill Maher
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
I think the quote was taken out of context. The idiom means "to resolve two difficulties or matters with a single action," not the literally take the lives of 2 birds.

Return to Top
#622955 - 10/11/06 04:32 PM Re: John Kerry on Bill Maher
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
It is an inappropriate joke - and no one is taking it out of context. Mr. Kerry made an attempt at humor by employing the idiom in a different context - one of the most basic elements of humor (e.g., puns). Is the President's life in danger? No. Would the left (including those posting here) be outraged if a Republican had made a similar joke? Yes. Mr. Kerry should recant.

Return to Top
#622956 - 10/11/06 05:11 PM Re: John Kerry on Bill Maher
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

It is an inappropriate joke - and no one is taking it out of context. Mr. Kerry made an attempt at humor by employing the idiom in a different context - one of the most basic elements of humor (e.g., puns). Is the President's life in danger? No. Would the left (including those posting here) be outraged if a Republican had made a similar joke? Yes. Mr. Kerry should recant.

They would be outraged in the same grandstanding way that the Republicans are on this. A lot of people make a lot of inappropriate jokes -- people who aren't uptight appreciate the joke, laugh, and get on with life. In my opinion, jokes about people who have made a life for themselves in the public eye are never inappropriate -- it's the price of celebrity. Making fun of a disabled person is inappropriate, poking fun at the president -- no matter how extreme -- is just political commentary (and protected free speech btw, which might be the real reason why right-wingers don't like it).

Return to Top
#622957 - 10/11/06 05:20 PM Re: John Kerry on Bill Maher
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

Quote:

Lighten up and get a life.

Where is all of the Liberal PC-ness now?

Aren't we supposed to love and care and coddle one another based on the Liberal playbook? Doesn't sound very PC to me.

Return to Top
#622958 - 10/11/06 05:46 PM Re: John Kerry on Bill Maher
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

I think the quote was taken out of context. The idiom means "to resolve two difficulties or matters with a single action," not the literally take the lives of 2 birds.

Oh, come on now, don't explain it away... You'll ruin all of the bickering...

Return to Top
#622959 - 10/11/06 05:49 PM Re: John Kerry on Bill Maher
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
I think it would have been even more funny if Kerry actually had killed Bush

Return to Top
#622960 - 10/11/06 05:56 PM Re: John Kerry on Bill Maher
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

Oh, come on now, don't explain it away... You'll ruin all of the bickering...

How long have you been posting here? Nothing ruins (or stops) the bickering on BOL.

Return to Top
#622961 - 10/11/06 05:56 PM Re: John Kerry on Bill Maher
AuditFan Offline
New Poster
AuditFan
PA
I think that is what is wrong with the political world now. He made a joke some people thought it was funny some didin't. Doesn't that happen a lot in life? Is everyone required or asked to recant? People make mistakes they say stupid things or things they think are funny, that's what makes us human.

And why can't something just be funny? Why does everything have to be political?

Return to Top
#622962 - 10/11/06 06:00 PM Re: John Kerry on Bill Maher
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Stewart & Colbert in 2008!!!!

Return to Top
#622963 - 10/11/06 06:18 PM Re: John Kerry on Bill Maher
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

I think that is what is wrong with the political world now. He made a joke some people thought it was funny some didin't. Doesn't that happen a lot in life? Is everyone required or asked to recant? People make mistakes they say stupid things or things they think are funny, that's what makes us human.

And why can't something just be funny? Why does everything have to be political?

Trust me, I am the first one to say that most people take things WAY too seriously, but this is political (well, ok, definitely personal too) as the idiot is running for President and should try to maintain some modicum of respect for the office even if he dislikes the person in it now.
Last edited by MB Guy; 10/11/06 06:35 PM.

Return to Top
#622964 - 10/11/06 06:30 PM Re: John Kerry on Bill Maher
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

some modicum

of what?

Return to Top
#622965 - 10/11/06 06:34 PM Re: John Kerry on Bill Maher
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

Quote:

some modicum

of what?

hahahaaaaaaaaaa.......stupid edit feature took out my words, lol

Return to Top
#622966 - 10/11/06 06:38 PM Re: John Kerry on Bill Maher
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

They would be outraged in the same grandstanding way that the Republicans are on this.

I have not heard a single Republican comment on this. Can you provide some detail?

Quote:

He made a joke some people thought it was funny some didin't. Doesn't that happen a lot in life?

Yes, it does. Sometimes people riot and burn things in response. Sometimes they just say, "hey, I think that's inappropriate." Guess which ones are criticized by the BOLiberals?

Quote:

Is everyone required or asked to recant?

I have not seen where anyone required or asked even Mr. Kerry to recant, so I don't know why you would assume that everyone will be.

Return to Top
#622967 - 10/11/06 06:40 PM Re: John Kerry on Bill Maher
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
I believe there were some cartoons a little while ago that were taken a little too seriously as well.......

Return to Top
#622968 - 10/11/06 06:48 PM Re: John Kerry on Bill Maher
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
MB,

the reason i thought it was funny is that a similar thing happened here. the pres' sec. sent out this email about the bathrooms (new building. perhaps too "high tech" for idiots). anyway, she discussed the double flush and how to use the soap dispensers. she finished with "maintain some semblance in the bathrooms".

i guess you had to be there

Return to Top
#622969 - 10/11/06 07:36 PM Re: John Kerry on Bill Maher
Just Suzy Offline
Platinum Poster
Mid-West
This is news? John Kerry makes a joke that falls flat? He's not exactly a laugh-riot, in case you haven't noticed.

Return to Top
#622970 - 10/11/06 07:52 PM Re: John Kerry on Bill Maher
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

This is news? John Kerry makes a joke that falls flat? He's not exactly a laugh-riot, in case you haven't noticed.

Must have been a slow news day on FOX.

Return to Top
#622971 - 10/11/06 08:04 PM Re: John Kerry on Bill Maher
slubgob Offline
Platinum Poster
Quote:

That's true, maybe we should cut Lurch some slack.

Return to Top
#622972 - 10/11/06 08:35 PM Re: John Kerry on Bill Maher
CompDat Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
Kerry will do whatever it takes to get popular. Case in point, his stance was to help remove teacher tenure. But he refused to help a certain Republican Govonator get this accomplished. Why? I have no idea. Seems to me like he was just paying lip service to his stance.

Return to Top
#622973 - 10/11/06 09:11 PM Re: John Kerry on Bill Maher
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Quote:

Must have been a slow news day on FOX.

From FoxNews.com:

Quote:

Search took 0.1 seconds.

Your search - "john kerry" "bill maher" kill bird - did not match any documents.

Again, we have a BOLiberal claiming that someone is making a big deal out of this when they are not. I guess it just sounds "truthy". Oh well.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2