Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#62513 - 02/20/03 02:13 AM Garnishments, Levies, Subpoenas Manual or Training
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Can anyone recommend either a training course on this topic or a good reference manual? Does anything exist? One that considers specific situations that can occur-for example, what to consider if a trust is involved.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#62514 - 02/20/03 02:07 PM Re: Garnishments, Levies, Subpoenas Manual or Training
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
We are a big enough bank that our internal legal department handles such matters. These topics are state law in nature and out of the realm of compliance, in general. I am sure the attorneys have continuing education on this. Sorry, I know this is not very helpful.

Return to Top
#62515 - 02/20/03 02:17 PM Re: Garnishments, Levies, Subpoenas Manual or Training

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I agree with that. Our legal (1 atty) asked if I could find some general manual that addresses the federal types of things.

Return to Top
#62516 - 02/20/03 02:19 PM Re: Garnishments, Levies, Subpoenas Manual or Trai
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Garnishments and attachments are generally driven by state law; you do not want generic materials. The best resource I have found is CLE programs sponsored by the state bar association on collections. Nonlawyers are generally welcome, but oftentimes you can buy the materials separately. Most of the presenters on these programs are lawyers on the other side of the aisle, those attempting to obtain money from banks. Their insights are invaluable.

As for anything specific about trusts, I would not hold out much hope - a trust can simply say anything and whenever people begin to generalize about how to handle them I get real nervous. If a trust is involved, your attorney should be involved too.

Return to Top
#62517 - 02/20/03 03:15 PM Re: Garnishments, Levies, Subpoenas Manual or Trai

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Thanks. I will check out the CLE avenue.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett