BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#627145 - 10/20/06 04:40 PM Flu Shot
Bankster Offline
Gold Star
Midwest
I got a flu shot yesterday, only my second one in my life. The last one was about 7 years ago. My arm is numb at the site of the shot and all the muscles hurt in my arm down to my hand. I can't believe how badly it hurts. I have a newfound sympathy for those with carpal tunnel, anyways... I also have tingly sensations going through my arm. It feels like I've been laying on it. Has anyone ever experienced this? I was told that maybe the nurse hit a nerve when she gave me the shot, if so, is the damage permanant? This is why I don't get shots...grrrrrr.......

Return to Top
#627146 - 10/20/06 04:45 PM Re: Flu Shot
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I've received flu shots on several occasions and will be getting one next week. However, I don't remember every experiencing anything like you're describing. Hopefully it will pass quickly. Two years ago when there was a shortage of flu vaccines I didn't get one - I did get the flue and missed 3 1/2 days of work. It was just awful.

Return to Top
#627147 - 10/20/06 04:55 PM Re: Flu Shot
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
That's cause it is "intre-muscluar". They force the fluid into your fairly solid muscle, which causes the soreness.

I wanted to get a shot this Monday, but the doctor's office was out. I have to call next week to see if they got an order in.

Return to Top
#627148 - 10/20/06 05:04 PM Re: Flu Shot
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to get the shot. All the ladies in my department usually get the flu the years they get the shot & don't when they don't. Our bank is offering them for free next week (to employees), so it would seem stupid not to take advantage. Bad experiences make me wonder if I should. I've never had the flu, so I wouldn't know what to expect there, either.

Return to Top
#627149 - 10/20/06 05:10 PM Re: Flu Shot
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I do not get flu shots. On the couple of occasions I did get one, I caught the flu within a month and was sick as a dog. Of all the years I've not gotten one, I've caught the flu maybe twice and was not nearly as sick for not nearly as long. I believe far more strongly in preventative measures than in tricking my immune system into thinking I have something I don't really have so that it can "prepare" a response for something I may or may not catch and even if I do, it stands a huge chance of not even being the same strain. (Was that a long enough sentence for you? )

Return to Top
#627150 - 10/20/06 05:21 PM Re: Flu Shot
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Since the breast cancer 9 years ago I get a flu shot every year and yes, last year I had the same experience after the shot. It goes away in time and I can't remember the last time I had the flu or even a bad cold so to me it's worth it.

Return to Top
#627151 - 10/20/06 06:13 PM Re: Flu Shot
TTC Queen Offline
Diamond Poster
Oklahoma
I believe if you put very warm-hot compresses on the spot, it will help to lessen your discomfort and help the soreness go away faster. That is what the nurses have told me to do in case of a reaction like yours.

This too shall pass.

Return to Top
#627152 - 10/20/06 06:21 PM Re: Flu Shot
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
For MOML and I, the flu shot is always worth it. When we don't get the shot, we get the flu BAD - knocks us flat on our backs in bed for days. With the shot, even if we get the flu, it is not as bad, and we usually don't miss anything.

Also, with the Christmas season, the parties, the family get togethers and just being in closed spaces with alot of other sick people, it just makes sense to us.

My other words of advice: WASHYOURHANDSWASHYOURHANDSWASHYOURHANDS!

Return to Top
#627153 - 10/20/06 06:28 PM Re: Flu Shot
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
I have never had the flu shot and I can only remember one time in my adult life that I had the flu pretty badly. I usually get colds once or twice a year, if that. (knock on wood)!! My mom gets the flu shot every year and she usually gets the flu after she gets the shot. I also have a 3 (almost 4) year old that I have get the shot at his annual check-ups because of his age.

Return to Top
#627154 - 10/20/06 06:43 PM Re: Flu Shot
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
I have never had a flu shot and haven't had the flu since 1984. I just get my regular sinus infections. Although 2 yrs ago I had strep then broncitis and then a sinus infection. What a fun four weeks that was.

Return to Top
#627155 - 10/23/06 07:09 PM Re: Flu Shot
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
We all get them because our daughter is susceptible to infection. She can't get them because she is allergic to eggs (and the shot is egg based).

Return to Top
#627156 - 10/23/06 07:41 PM Re: Flu Shot
Skyline Offline
Platinum Poster
Skyline
I just got mine. The bank offers it at no charge to employees.

Return to Top
#627157 - 10/23/06 07:51 PM Re: Flu Shot
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I know what you mean. I got one of these and and my upper arm hurt like [censored] for a couple of days. I was reduced to a one armed weakling. Thankfully it went away in a couple of days and now I'm back to my egg frying, cheese slicing, burger eating ways.

Return to Top
#627158 - 10/23/06 08:00 PM Re: Flu Shot
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Luckily you don't need two arms to eat Jerky.

Return to Top
#627159 - 10/23/06 08:04 PM Re: Flu Shot
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
I got both my son and I the shot in 2003 and 2004 and we both got the flu like 3 times those years. Last year I didn't get them (cause I was mad) and neither one of us got he flu. With his asthma he is recommended to get one but I just don't want to take the chance at him getting the flu because I did that!

Return to Top
#627160 - 10/23/06 08:47 PM Re: Flu Shot
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
I'm one of those lucky people who can die if they get a bad case of the flu so I got my first flu shot last year. I catch everything that comes around and I still did, but I did notice I didn't get AS sick as I had before. The shot didn't bother my arm at all. My flab must have saved the day.

Return to Top
#627161 - 10/24/06 02:26 AM Re: Flu Shot
slubgob Offline
Platinum Poster
I started getting the flu shot a couple of years ago after a bad case of pneumonia. I have never had it hurt like that, of course I have a super-human threshold for pain. But all joking aside they do have a flu-vaccine that you inhale through the nose as a mist. You might ask for that next time. I took it once because they were out of the shot. I think it was called FluMist.

Return to Top
#627162 - 10/24/06 12:15 PM Re: Flu Shot
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
Ops, I have had three different physicians over the past 15 years (the joys of moving). Each one has told me that unles you are in a high-risk group (e.g., over 65, under 18, past pneumonia, heart issues, etc.), getting a flu shot is unnecessary. Until I got pneumonia last year, I never got a flu shot.

If you are unsure, discuss it with your physician.

Return to Top
#627163 - 10/24/06 02:14 PM Re: Flu Shot
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
get one every year, never had the flu in years I've gotten the shot. Missed 2 years ago due to the shortage, had the flu twice

Return to Top
#627164 - 10/24/06 03:26 PM Re: Flu Shot
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
The bear just got her's today. (She's in that high risk group.) Are there side affects?

Return to Top
#627165 - 10/24/06 03:45 PM Re: Flu Shot
GenerousLife Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
Normal side effects should only involve a sore arm.

I've had the shots consistently for the last 10+ years. In that period have missed about 4 days work due to ANY kind of illness. Prior to that I would have at least one cold each year that would turn into bronchitis, lasting at least a month.

Best Practice Advice -- Wash Your Hands Multiple Times During the Day! Don't touch your face/eyes/nose after touching a doorknob/shopping cart/etc.

Sounds like the varous posters have had different experiences with the flu shot. Educate yourself and decide what is best for you.

Return to Top
#627166 - 10/25/06 01:19 PM Re: Flu Shot
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
I've had flu shots for several years. I never had the flu in either the years I did get it or the years that I didn't. BUT, in the years I did get a flu shot I NEVER got a cold! So, I swear by them. But, as you can see, different people seem to react differently to them.

Return to Top
#627167 - 10/25/06 08:01 PM Re: Flu Shot
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
I am on immune suppressive therapy and my daughter and 3 of my grandchildren have asthma, so we all have to get the shots every year without fail. We noticed this year that we were a little nauseous (did I spell that right? but it only lasted 1 day. Never recall that happening before.

Talking about preventive steps--I am loving those stores that give you the wipes for the shopping carts at the door. Can you imagine the germs? And you just can't keep the little ones from rubbing all over them.

Return to Top
#627168 - 10/26/06 03:07 PM Re: Flu Shot
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I know this will sound bad but...we need to let the kids play sometimes on the floor, in the dirt. They need to be exposed to those everyday germs so they can develop their immune systems. If we disinfect everything they touch, they will get sick from minor germs that they have no immunity to.

My brother in law never had the stomach flu. When his grandson got it, so did he. So bad that he lost 10 pounds in two days. Both were sick for two weeks; if not for Pedialite, the boy would probably have needed an IV. No one else in the household got it; one had minor stomach distress, but it passed quickly. The grandson had no immunity to the illness, which is to be expected in a two year old, and neither did my brother in law. They do now! Next time they get it, it won't be nearly as bad.

Return to Top
#627169 - 10/26/06 03:13 PM Re: Flu Shot
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
Quote:

I am on immune suppressive therapy and my daughter and 3 of my grandchildren have asthma, so we all have to get the shots every year without fail. We noticed this year that we were a little nauseous (did I spell that right? but it only lasted 1 day. Never recall that happening before.

I got my shot after work last night and I noticed that too. The tummy just wasn't very settled. Not a huge deal, but definitely noticeable. I had also never had that happen before. I wonder if this year's shot is a little different than in the past . . .

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett