BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#627918 - 10/23/06 03:40 PM Trade Arod?
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
This is a BIG debate in NY right now. Personally, I think all the hate sent Arod's way is unreal. Even in a "down" year, his numbers a great. Yes, I know his numbers in playoffs were horrid, but its not like any other Yankee did anything agaisnt Detroit ( Minus Jete's big Game 1). I just wonder what Arod's value is right now? He is still young and great player, but with his playoff struggles, I dont think the Yanks will get something of equal value in return. Plus, I wonder if they will have to foot some of that hefty contract like Texas did when the Yanks acquired him.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#627919 - 10/23/06 03:37 PM Re: Trade Arod?
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
Sadly, the NY media are making him out to bethe scapegoat. If he hits two homeruns it is not enough or it is but what will you do tomorrow.

ARod looks great in pinstripes!

Return to Top
#627920 - 10/23/06 03:40 PM Re: Trade Arod?
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
i think he needs to be traded. market value is market value. he will still command lots of pitching which the yanks need and the yanks will get a more than serviceable 3b in return.

Return to Top
#627921 - 10/23/06 04:00 PM Re: Trade Arod?
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
His numbers are good, but has he come through in the clutch? Has he stepped up when others have gone through slumps? Someone will take him, and the Yanks could get some pitching that they need. There has been talk here on the Boston sports radio about whether we would want ARod in Boston-most fans have said no, and for all the garbage he takes in NY, it would be just as bad, if not worse in Boston.

Return to Top
#627922 - 10/23/06 04:06 PM Re: Trade Arod?
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
the sucky thing about arod from the yanks perspective (i HATE them as a team but player by player i like them) is that his market value is low but he is the kind of PERSON who will blossom without the weight of ny on his shoulders. the sucky thing is, they KNOW he will be what they hoped he would be for the yanks on pretty much any other team but since he is NOT that for the yanks and will NOT be (and in fact seems to actually hurt the team) i think they are just going to have to swallow the pill and get as much as they can and cut their losses.

Return to Top
#627923 - 10/23/06 04:09 PM Re: Trade Arod?
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
I'm no Yankee fan, but A Rod had the deck stacked against him from the start. He came here with the biggest contract in baseball, to play for an owner who regards anything less than a World Series championship as an utter failure, and he played the same position as the team captain and one of the most liked players, Derek Jeter.

His career totals place him among the elite in the game. True, he has struggled in the post-season, but so have a lot of other Yankees since 2000. It seems that for every Mr. October (Reggie Jackson, Derek Jeter) there's a Mr. May (Dave Winfield, Alex Rodriguez).

Return to Top
#627924 - 10/23/06 04:20 PM Re: Trade Arod?
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
As a Mets fan, Im sure we could find spot for Arod. Those of us at Shea are much more forgiven then our Bronx neighbors. [censored], we brought Bobby Bo back for a 2nd run

All joking aside, I heard rumors of an Ervin Santanna and Vlad the Impaler offer for Arod some time ago. But I couldnt imagine that very same offer still stands.

Return to Top
#627925 - 10/23/06 04:13 PM Re: Trade Arod?
Confused Banker Offline
Gold Star
I feel like one of the few A-Rod supporters left even though I've never been a fan of any of his teams. Early in his career in Seattle he was great in the post-season so I think it is reasonable to believe that he can be again. And let's not forget that to excel or fail in the play-offs you first must get there. He had one of his worst years in a decade and still went .290/35/121. Those numbers are going to get a lot of teams into the play-offs. With the Rangers still picking up a portion of his salary the guy is almost bargain by comparison to other players and their salaries. In terms of what the Yankees are actually paying him he's not even in the top three on his own team. I'm not sure you can even get fair market value for a guy like that. If NY does not want him I'm sure there will be a long line of teams who do. I only wish my team had the money to go after him because I'd take him, those numbers and any perceived baggage that they want to throw in.

Return to Top
#627926 - 10/23/06 04:20 PM Re: Trade Arod?
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
If ARod does have to leave a NL team would be best for the Yanks. This way they would only have to face him a limited number of times, if at all.

Return to Top
#627927 - 10/23/06 04:40 PM Re: Trade Arod?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

the sucky thing is, they KNOW he will be what they hoped he would be for the yanks on pretty much any other team but since he is NOT that for the yanks and will NOT be (and in fact seems to actually hurt the team)...

I'm sorry...wasn't this guy the MVP last year? Didn't he drive in 120 runs this year???

This is insane.

Return to Top
#627928 - 10/23/06 04:37 PM Re: Trade Arod?
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
Yep, and this is the world of sports business. I know I would want him on my team, if I owned one.

Return to Top
#627929 - 10/23/06 08:14 PM Re: Trade Arod?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes he should be traded. He needs to go somewhere where the media is not quite as harsh. Unfortunately, the perspective I got from A-Rod in his Sports Illustrated article is that he is the type of person who needs to be liked. If there is something going on in his personal life, he can't separate it from his professional life. He had outstanding numbers in Seattle and Texas, but he was the Golden Child. There have been rumors that the Cubs could be looking at him and that quite possibly be a good fit. Yes it is a big market team, but it wouldn't take much to make the Cub fans happy and if he was to put the numbers there as he did with New York this past year, he would have been a god. Unfortunately, he is not considered to be a true Yankee and as long as that moniker sticks, no matter what he does there it won't be good enough.

Return to Top
#627930 - 10/23/06 08:18 PM Re: Trade Arod?
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
The only thing preventing the Cubbies from trading for Arod is both Derek Lee and Zambrano have been deemed off limits. I dont think the brass would be enticed by a Rameriz/Prior or Wood deal, given those SPs injury history. Yet, you never know with the Yanks?

Return to Top
#627931 - 10/23/06 08:35 PM Re: Trade Arod?
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
I hate to agree with A-Rod, but he is correct in that people are basically jealous of him because he is good looking, rich, and a better player than most others. The blow-hards in the New York media and in the stands at Yankee Stadium got what they deserved this year. They tried their hardest to tear him down, and it finally worked. Oh, and he still outplayed 99% of the beloved true Yankees. As far as this true Yankee BS, there are like 5 guys on the team that have come-up through the system. They have been buying themselves talent for a long time.

I'm hoping that he doesn't waive his no-trade clause so that the circus continues.

Signed, a bitter Pirate fan.

Return to Top
#627932 - 10/23/06 08:47 PM Re: Trade Arod?
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
Eh, baseballs dead to me...

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#627933 - 10/23/06 08:53 PM Re: Trade Arod?
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
As a general fan of baseball, its upsetting to me when the fans of normally a great baseball city dont realize how lucky they are to have Arod. Oh well, as I said earlier, trade him to the Mets!!!!!!!!!!

Return to Top
#627934 - 10/24/06 02:43 PM Re: Trade Arod?
AngelinaLM Offline
Diamond Poster
Boise, ID
(rubbing hands together) My plan is working out well....to make all of the former Mariners come back to the team so we can WIN <<<EVIL LAUGH>>> Now to get Griffey

Return to Top