Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#628381 - 10/24/06 04:32 PM Swapping on-us check for cashiers check
Cornfed Turtle Offline
Diamond Poster
"...Somewhere in Middle Americ...
In a recent discussion in the BSA forum, BrendaC says that the gurus frown on the swapping of an on-us check for a cashiers check.

Is there an operational risk in this that I am missing? Should I go back to the BSA forum? Does the "swapping" still fall under the purchase of a monetary instrument?

We swap under 2 scenarios: 1. trade of NSF checks for a "good" cashiers check with the original customer as the remitter and the original payee as the payee. 2. Construction checks with multiple payees (we don't send 1099s) that are not accepted by the contractors bank due to endorsement. We trade the endorsed check for a cashiers check made payable to the contractors biz alone. The remitter is our customer.

Thoughts are appreciated.....

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#628382 - 10/25/06 03:44 PM Re: Swapping on-us check for cashiers check
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The risk, I think, is in negotiating the on-us check in cases where you are not in a position to know that the individual presenting the check is authorized to negotiate it on behalf of the payee. In other words, you could have a fraudulent (forged) endorsement, and the cashier's check could then be fraudulently used.

Admittedly, if you are dealing with known payees, the risk is mitigated.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#628383 - 10/25/06 04:33 PM Re: Swapping on-us check for cashiers check
Cornfed Turtle Offline
Diamond Poster
"...Somewhere in Middle Americ...
I should just change my name to Confused Turtle! If we swap for a check that is made payable to the same company, does it matter whether or not the person trading is authorized? He still has to cash the cashiers check. Of course, we also just gave him a cashiers check (read BSA trigger, right?)

Return to Top
#628384 - 10/25/06 05:02 PM Re: Swapping on-us check for cashiers check
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
No cash changed hands for the transaction. It's not a cash purchase of a monetary instrument, not a CTR-reportable transaction.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#628385 - 10/26/06 11:41 AM Re: Swapping on-us check for cashiers check
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Swapping a cashiers check for an on-us check is an interesting piece of reverse ingenuity that began when banks stopped certifying checks due to the complexity of the process. Some banks think it's the same thing. It isn't.

If the payee, a human being, is across the counter from you and you can verify identity, it makes sense. If the payee is an entity then it is not standing across the counter from you it doesn't make sense.

Return to Top
#628386 - 10/26/06 02:12 PM Re: Swapping on-us check for cashiers check
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
As I recall years ago we had a Guaranteed Endorsement Stamp that was placed on the back of a check made payable to one of our business accounts of a check they deposited that had been returned NSF or they wanted funds up front befor shipping goods etc. The stamp had words to the effect that the endorsement was guaranteed and the bearer was authorized to negoiate the check in exchange for a cashiers check made payable to the business only.

We did the same thing with bounced loan payment checks made payble to the bank. Especially toward the end of the month to keep the delinquency ratio down.Of course those were the days when you could call and verify funds before you went to hammer the check.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett