#629408 - 10/26/06 02:13 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Quote:

homosexual couples already had the same rights

Maybe you should inform the New Jersey Supreme Court.

They seem to have the idea that they know more about New Jersey law than you do!

NRA, he knows everything, don't you know that yet?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#629409 - 10/26/06 02:32 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Quote:

homosexual couples already had the same rights

Maybe you should inform the New Jersey Supreme Court.

They seem to have the idea that they know more about New Jersey law than you do!

Oh, they probably know more about section numbers and such, but I bet I have more common sense!

Return to Top
#629410 - 10/26/06 02:49 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Doubtful at best, -5-.

Return to Top
#629411 - 10/26/06 03:14 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:

common sense

I don't recall who said it, but "there is no place in law for common sense."

This subject is such a non-issue to me. I don't feel that it undermines my family values. Live and let live.

Return to Top
#629412 - 10/26/06 03:37 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

With the war on terror and all of the other crazy things like child molesters and illegal drugs around, why is this even on the forefront of judicial issues?

Why is it on the forefront of congressional issues to ban it?

Return to Top
#629413 - 10/26/06 03:36 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

With the war on terror and all of the other crazy things like child molesters and illegal drugs around, why is this even on the forefront of judicial issues?

Why is it on the forefront of congressional issues to ban it?

Exactly. That's all I heard about for months leading up to this election. The little buggers even leave it on my answering machine.

Return to Top
#629414 - 10/26/06 03:41 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
There are people that are committed to one another who happen to be the same sex, without the rights as a married couple have. I don't care what you decide to call the union, but there are practical rights that all committed couples should have, like insurance, medical decisions, etc.

Return to Top
#629415 - 10/26/06 03:46 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

There are people that are committed to one another who happen to be the same sex, without the rights as a married couple have. I don't care what you decide to call the union, but there are practical rights that all committed couples should have, like insurance, medical decisions, etc.

Exactly, and I don't see how that weakens any heterosexual union.

Return to Top
#629416 - 10/26/06 04:07 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Maxx Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
I agree with you sing. If you are a married couple, same sex or not, you should have rights as a married couple.

Return to Top
#629417 - 10/26/06 04:05 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
I don't even think marriage should be a legal construct. Marriage should be considered a rite of the church and defined by your own faith, as are things like baptism. Legal and financial entitlements such as survivorship, health insurance, etc. should be defined by parameters such as cohabitation and financial dependence, not by one's sexual arrangements. In fact, why shouldn't two people living together have those rights even in a totally non-sexual relationship, such as siblings or close friends who choose to live with each other?

Return to Top
#629418 - 10/26/06 04:07 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
This is a perfect example of why somebody has to step up and start using the checks and balances inherent in the constitution to put these judges who decide to make law from the bench out of business.

I don't care if the issue is homosexuality or taxes, the COURT is not there to MAKE laws up. They are there to interpret cases put before them.

This is a perfect example of forcing legislation from the bench.

Return to Top
#629419 - 10/26/06 04:11 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:

If we are talking marriage then I would say any combination of two people.

2 cousins? 2 siblings? divorced parent and adult child? Those kinds of couples deserve equal protection, right?

Return to Top
#629420 - 10/26/06 04:13 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

This is a perfect example of why somebody has to step up and start using the checks and balances inherent in the constitution to put these judges who decide to make law from the bench out of business.

I don't care if the issue is homosexuality or taxes, the COURT is not there to MAKE laws up. They are there to interpret cases put before them.

Was this not a ruling as a result of a case brought before the NJ Supreme Court? I have not been following it that closely, but courts generally don't just make rulings without some action that puts the issue before them.

Return to Top
#629421 - 10/26/06 04:16 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
ThePaul Offline
Diamond Poster
ThePaul
Dallas, TX
Quote:

I don't even think marriage should be a legal construct. Marriage should be considered a rite of the church and defined by your own faith, as are things like baptism. Legal and financial entitlements such as survivorship, health insurance, etc. should be defined by parameters such as cohabitation and financial dependence, not by one's sexual arrangements. In fact, why shouldn't two people living together have those rights even in a totally non-sexual relationship, such as siblings or close friends who choose to live with each other?

I've never really thought about that before but that actually makes alot of sense...

Return to Top
#629422 - 10/26/06 04:19 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Non Ron anon Offline
Gold Star
Quote:

They are there to interpret cases put before them.

They did. They were asked to decide whether the equal protection clause of the New Jersey constitution required equal legal rights for same sex couples. They ruled that it did.

Your idea that judges that make rulings that you disagree with should be "put out of business" has frightening implications for our constitutional rights.

Return to Top
#629423 - 10/26/06 04:19 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Quote:

Was this not a ruling as a result of a case brought before the NJ Supreme Court? I have not been following it that closely, but courts generally don't just make rulings without some action that puts the issue before them.

Yes, 7 couples brought suit.

Return to Top
#629424 - 10/26/06 04:59 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Pepper's Sister Offline
Platinum Poster
Pepper's Sister
Midwest
Quote:

This makes an incredible amount of sense! (TICG --- I think I love you.)

Return to Top
#629425 - 10/26/06 05:04 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It seems like it's about time there is some equity in this country for all families.

What is your definition of "all families"?

All families. Pretty self-explanatory.

No it is not "pretty self-explanatory". Is it a man and woman; two men; two women; two women and a man; two women and two men? Any combo just as long as they call themselves a "family"?

And who gets to decide what a "family" is? Judges? State Legislators who are represent the people?

Welcome to the slippery slope.

OK, I would say a family is any group of people who live together and co-mingle their lives and/or finances. If we are talking marriage then I would say any combination of two people.

Why limit marriage to between two people? Isn't that being narrow-minded and intolerant. Aren't you imposing your view of marriage on others by limiting it to 2 people. If you are going to redefine marriage where do you stop and how do you justify stopping anywhere based on equal protection?

Return to Top
#629426 - 10/26/06 05:06 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Quote:

I don't even think marriage should be a legal construct. Marriage should be considered a rite of the church and defined by your own faith, as are things like baptism. Legal and financial entitlements such as survivorship, health insurance, etc. should be defined by parameters such as cohabitation and financial dependence, not by one's sexual arrangements. In fact, why shouldn't two people living together have those rights even in a totally non-sexual relationship , such as siblings or close friends who choose to live with each other?

So we're back to talking about "marriages" now!?

Return to Top
#629427 - 10/26/06 04:56 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
CC, I think that the individuals themselves make a committment to each other. Although a different lifestyle, it is still monogamous. Don't be absurd, it doesn't suit you.

Return to Top
#629428 - 10/26/06 04:59 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Chiquita Banana Offline
Diamond Poster
Chiquita Banana
The banana bin
First, I'm happy to see that there is a civil discussion about this. (Of course, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop)

My dad was gay (came out of the closet when I was a year old) and with his partner for 23 years until he died in 1999. I grew up with my mom mostly but lived with my dad and his partner off and on growing up as well.

When my dad died, I found a whole bunch of stuff that dad had saved (he saved everything that I had ever made or written). One thing that I found was a little book I made in school called 'All About Me'. I think I was five or six at the time.

On one page was a drawing of my family. I drew myself, my mom, my dad, his partner, and the dog. While my mom didn't live with us at the time and I never called my dad's partner "dad" (I called him by his name), I knew at the age of five that these people were my family. It wasn't something I questioned...it's what I knew.

It wasn't until I was about 11 until I realized that other people didn't view my family as a family. It was then that I was told that it was wrong and immoral. What a terrible burden to be placed on a child. It is something that has shaped my life tremondously as I can't, even now, understand why people have such a hard time with it.

A family is easily defined by a child. Why is that adults have a hard time with the concept?

Return to Top
#629429 - 10/26/06 05:05 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Non Ron anon Offline
Gold Star
Quote:

Why limit marriage to between two people? Isn't that being narrow-minded and intolerant. Aren't you imposing your view of marriage on others by limiting it to 2 people. If you are going to redefine marriage where do you stop and how do you justify stopping anywhere based on equal protection?

Equal protection is involved because some people have legal rights that others do not have. Same sex couples cannot get the same legal benefits as opposite couples get by marrying.

No one is allowed to marry more than one person, so no one is unequally treated in that regard. To put it another way, same sex couples can say that: opposite sex couples get the benefits of marriage but they can not. How would you finish the following: :______________ can marry more than one person but I can not."?

Return to Top
#629430 - 10/26/06 05:07 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Lip Gloss Offline
Diamond Poster
Lip Gloss
Texas
Although I do think homosexuality is wrong, my Mom came out to me about 2 months ago. It was a secret she kept from me for 24 years. I still love her and her being gay doesn't change the fact that she is my mom. I don't support it but I do accept it. I think that this world is going to just have to accept it because people can't change who they are just to make narrow minded people happy.

Return to Top
#629431 - 10/26/06 05:10 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Lip Gloss Offline
Diamond Poster
Lip Gloss
Texas
How do men in Utah get by with marrying more than one woman?

Return to Top
#629432 - 10/26/06 05:15 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

How do men in Utah get by with marrying more than one woman?

Masochism

Return to Top
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16