Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16
Thread Options
#629558 - 10/27/06 03:58 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:

Quote:

Or it comes down to other people wanting "christian-based people" to call their unions "marriage" (which hasn't been the case before and requires a change in the law).

I'm not sure I follow what you are saying. Can you elaborate, please?

Ron's comment was that it all comes down to "christian-based people" not wanting other people to call their unions marriage. I think it's probably more accurate to say that it all comes down to other people demanding that "christian-based people" call the unions marriage. I mentioned above that one of the plaintiffs said that just having the same legal rights isn't sufficient - they want the same name for that set of rights. In other words, the goal is more than tolerance; it's approval.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#629559 - 10/27/06 04:11 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Chiquita Banana Offline
Diamond Poster
Chiquita Banana
The banana bin
See, that's one thing that I wish the GLBT community would compromise on. Don't get me wrong. I don't care what you call it...marriage or civil union.

In order to get the end result that you need, first fight for civil unions. Let's not tweak the nose of the conservatives and religious just yet.

Because then once that is said and done...it is just semantics.

Return to Top
#629560 - 10/27/06 04:33 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

See, that's one thing that I wish the GLBT community would compromise on. Don't get me wrong. I don't care what you call it...marriage or civil union.

In order to get the end result that you need, first fight for civil unions. Let's not tweak the nose of the conservatives and religious just yet.

Because then once that is said and done...it is just semantics.

For thousands of years, marriage, wedlock, call it whatever you will, has been defined as a union of man and wife. Why are we suddenly having to change our languages? The idea of a same sex marriage is new. Don't act like it isn't.

Return to Top
#629561 - 10/27/06 05:06 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
CAWorkingGirl Offline
Gold Star
I am very late to the party...but purely from my own viewpoint.

I think adults can do whatever they want with their lives, fornicate all over the place, be gay, be straight, be promiscuous, be comminted...whatever. BUT when you bring children into the picture game over!! Children benefit from having a Mother and a Father in a "family unit" full time.

That being said I know divorce happens, I know parents die, I know bad stuff happens...but no one had children with the intent of these things happening.

My main concern is children and the adults they become based on the choices of their parents, and in turn when they become adults the society they create.

Return to Top
#629562 - 10/27/06 05:09 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Chiquita Banana Offline
Diamond Poster
Chiquita Banana
The banana bin
And the point being what?

Just because something has been a certain way for thousands of years means that it can't change at all?

Well, maybe I should just stick my rear end back in the kitchen and not have an opinion since a woman had no voice for most of those thousands of years.

Or maybe slavery as a general principle should also be reintroduced to the masses because it's something that has been done for thousands of years.

I don't care what anyone calls it...marriage, wedlock, civil unions...whatever. As long as the "union" is legally binding and has equal status under the law. The religious implications of it are different depending upon the religious community.

Return to Top
#629563 - 10/27/06 05:02 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Or it comes down to other people wanting "christian-based people" to call their unions "marriage" (which hasn't been the case before and requires a change in the law).

I'm not sure I follow what you are saying. Can you elaborate, please?

Ron's comment was that it all comes down to "christian-based people" not wanting other people to call their unions marriage. I think it's probably more accurate to say that it all comes down to other people demanding that "christian-based people" call the unions marriage. I mentioned above that one of the plaintiffs said that just having the same legal rights isn't sufficient - they want the same name for that set of rights. In other words, the goal is more than tolerance; it's approval.

But I guess what I get hung up on is that marriage between a man and woman isn't necessarily a "Christian based union" but Christians have no trouble still calling it a marriage.

Return to Top
#629564 - 10/27/06 05:02 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I appreciate your viewpoint, CB, and the manner in which you have presented it.

Unfortunately, the hate you describe is all too easy for me to believe you experienced.

The bottom line as I see it is the internal struggle many people have accepting something they believe is (I'm at a loss for a better word) wrong. I think a large number of them can empathize with those seeking civil unions. But they still feel that granting these unions equates to condoning them and for many that's further than they can go.

Return to Top
#629565 - 10/27/06 05:06 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Maxx Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
Truffle...I think you said that very well.

Return to Top
#629566 - 10/27/06 05:22 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Chiquita Banana Offline
Diamond Poster
Chiquita Banana
The banana bin
TR I understand the internal conflict. The fact that there are people that have internal conflicts about civil unions while still addressing empathy is, in my opinion, a step forward. Twenty years ago the GLBT community didn't even have that.

I have grown up around tremendous change and civil discussions about this topic is another step forward. If it helps people evaluate what marriage really means or helps evaluate a loving relationship then it's great. At the very least I always strive to dispel misconceptions about the GLBT community and what it's like to grow up in a non-traditional (I hate that phrase) family. It's amazing still the misconceived notions that exist.

On the flip side, I try and calm down the "militaristic" approach of some of the community. I totally agree that some are a little too agressive in their approach. Minds aren't changed overnight and they won't be done if it's done so "in your face" either.

Just my opinion.

Return to Top
#629567 - 10/27/06 05:14 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
CB,

What I think is that all these people who fight giving basic rights to gay couples create a culture that allows the cruelty you have experienced to fester and grow. I hope one day our nation can move past things as insignificant as who we each choose to love and share our lives with and focus on real problems in our nation.

Return to Top
#629568 - 10/27/06 05:23 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

all these people who fight giving basic rights to gay couples create a culture that allows the cruelty you have experienced to fester and grow.

Because I oppose homosexual marriage, I am responsible for the fact that people are cruel?

Return to Top
#629569 - 10/27/06 05:25 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

all these people who fight giving basic rights to gay couples create a culture that allows the cruelty you have experienced to fester and grow.

Because I oppose homosexual marriage, I am responsible for the fact that people are cruel?

I think my statement was pretty clear.

Return to Top
#629570 - 10/27/06 05:26 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
As mentioned above, adults can do whatever they want with their lives.
The reality is that the GLBT community is seeking a cultural change.
Calling marriage and spousal insurance 'basic rights' just doesn't work for a lot of people for a lot of reasons.
And that makes this a very real problem for our nation.

Return to Top
#629571 - 10/27/06 05:29 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think my statement was pretty clear.

Clearly wrong.

Return to Top
#629572 - 10/27/06 05:41 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Chiquita Banana Offline
Diamond Poster
Chiquita Banana
The banana bin
Not necessarily. But it is a delicate balance between being a respectful person and one who is full of righteous indignation.

An example: your religious beliefs might say that gays are going to [censored]. That's your religious belief...fine. Where it gets cruel is when you look dead in the eyes of a child and tell them that their parent is going to [censored] because they're gay.

That religious person believes what they are saying, however, in their "moral message" forgot about empathy. That is where cruelness (in any facet of our lives) breeds cruelty.

Return to Top
#629573 - 10/27/06 05:41 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:

What I think is that all these people who fight giving basic rights to gay couples create a culture that allows the cruelty you have experienced to fester and grow.

And I think that stereotyping and demonizing those who oppose homosexual marriage contributes to the culture of namecalling and position-hardening, reducing the chance that acceptable resolutions can be worked out. (BTW, I think the same is true of those on the right who stereotype and demonize people in favor of same-sex marriage.)

Return to Top
#629574 - 10/27/06 05:43 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:

Not necessarily. But it is a delicate balance between being a respectful person and one who is full of righteous indignation.

An example: your religious beliefs might say that gays are going to [censored]. That's your religious belief...fine. Where it gets cruel is when you look dead in the eyes of a child and tell them that their parent is going to [censored] because they're gay.

That religious person believes what they are saying, however, in their "moral message" forgot about empathy. That is where cruelness (in any facet of our lives) breeds cruelty.

Amen, Chiquita, amen.

Return to Top
#629575 - 10/27/06 05:43 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Chiquita Banana Offline
Diamond Poster
Chiquita Banana
The banana bin
I didn't realize that the "land down under" would be censored. Ooops.

Return to Top
#629576 - 10/27/06 05:33 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
As long as we single groups out as being unworthy of basic rights in society we support an atmophere that breeds cruelty and hatred. My opinion. Someone saying it's wrong is euqally just an opinion.

Return to Top
#629577 - 10/27/06 05:44 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
If someone told me I couldn't marry a man because I'm white and he's black, I'd consider it racial discrimination.
If someone told me I couldn't marry a woman because I'm a woman, I'd consider it gender discrimination.

What bothers me most about this issue is people who let their personal prejudices obscure consideration and respect for people who love each other and just want to have the same recognition that others are afforded. JMO

Return to Top
#629578 - 10/27/06 05:56 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Lip Gloss Offline
Diamond Poster
Lip Gloss
Texas
"The unrighteous shall not inherit God's kingdom. Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who lie with men, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous..."

Return to Top
#629579 - 10/27/06 05:58 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Lip Gloss Offline
Diamond Poster
Lip Gloss
Texas
I think that is what Christians base the beliefs they have on gays by. 1 Cor. 6:9

Return to Top
#629580 - 10/27/06 06:01 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

CB,

What I think is that all these people who fight giving basic rights to gay couples create a culture that allows the cruelty you have experienced to fester and grow. I hope one day our nation can move past things as insignificant as who we each choose to love and share our lives with and focus on real problems in our nation.

See here's the problem, it's not just about "who you love". It's HOW you love and what KIND of love. It's fine for a man to love a man or a woman to love a woman. It is fine for a mother to love her son. It is NOT fine for a mother to marry her son. This is an abomination against God. Allowing our government to say incest is just fine and dandy shouldn't happen. Homosexual marriages are the same.

Love all you want, but do not give out kudos for sex with whatever you want or marriage to whatever you want.

Return to Top
#629581 - 10/27/06 06:02 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Chiquita Banana Offline
Diamond Poster
Chiquita Banana
The banana bin
Well great! So which legislator is going to ban adultery? Or from being covetous? (That means I'll have to work really hard at not coveting my next door neighbor!)

Does that mean the idoltry of Hollywood's celebrity can be illegal or not allowed? Which is great because I'm getting sick and tired of Jessica Simpson.

Return to Top
#629582 - 10/27/06 06:05 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Does that mean the idoltry of Hollywood's celebrity can be illegal or not allowed? Which is great because I'm getting sick and tired of Jessica Simpson.

That would be wonderful. I'm so sick of her I could spit. While you are at it do something about Jennifer Anniston, too.

Return to Top
Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16