BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#63126 - 02/24/03 03:39 PM HB 4250 - electronic terminal receipts
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
Do any of you still have paper merchants (who run an imprinter over your credit / debit card & impress the image on a carbon form)? This recent legislation may force them into the electronic age...

The following was INTRODUCED to the Michigan Legislature

HOUSE BILL No. 4250

February 19, 2003, Introduced by Reps. Daniels, Accavitti, Hager, Cheeks, Reeves, Hunter, Kolb, Whitmer, Hardman, Wojno, Woodward, Anderson, Waters, Zelenko, Clack, Gieleghem, Stallworth, Bieda, Farrah, Vagnozzi and McConico and referred to the Committee on Commerce.

A bill to amend 1931 PA 328, entitled "The Michigan penal code," (MCL 750.1 to 750.568) by adding section 411t.

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN ENACT:
Sec. 411t. (1) If a credit card or debit card is used for payment in a consumer transaction, a person engaged in the conduct of trade or commerce shall not issue or deliver a eceipt to the consumer that displays any part of the xpiration date of the card or more than the last 4 digits of the consumer's account number.
(2) A person who violates subsection (1) is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not more than $1,000.00.
(3) As used in this section, "trade or commerce" means that term as defined in section 2 of the Michigan consumer protection act, 1976 PA 331, MCL 445.902.

Return to Top
#63127 - 03/27/03 04:43 PM Re: HB 4250 - electronic terminal receipts
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
Do you know when this might be in effect? My car dealership just charged my oil change to my debit card and the whole number appeared. Maybe I can collect the $1000 fine (just kidding!!).

Return to Top
#63128 - 03/27/03 07:22 PM Re: HB 4250 - electronic terminal receipts
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
No - here's what you do...tell the merchant that the fine is $1000, and offer to take $750 in exchange for not reporting him. Or is that extortion??

Seriously, HB 4250 is in the committee on commerce at the House, as of 2-19. I haven't heard anything since. Next compliance committee meeting is in June. If I hear something sooner, I'll advise.

Return to Top