Thread Options
#633430 - 11/03/06 06:05 PM Re: Crystal Ball 2006: THE PREDICTIONS
steven1950 Offline
Diamond Poster
steven1950
San Francisco
Quote:

Quote:

Do you really think Hastert has told the truth about what he knew and when he knew it concerning Foley?

I think if Hastert had known the contents of the messages that he was forced to resign over, he would have been forced to resign sooner. The party didn't care about him - any Republican could win that seat under normal circumstances. The more likely scenario is that operatives in the Democrat party knew about this earlier and held it for an opportune moment.

A very foolish comment, not well considered, lacking in sound judgment.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#633431 - 11/03/06 06:15 PM Re: Crystal Ball 2006: THE PREDICTIONS
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Considering the source, Che, that's a badge of honor.

Return to Top
#633432 - 11/03/06 06:17 PM Re: Crystal Ball 2006: THE PREDICTIONS
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

Quote:

AGENDA FOR THE DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION 2008

Ted Kennedy, Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, Barney Frank, Saddam, Cindy Sheehan, Susan Sarandon, Jacques Chirac, Osama Bin Laden, Sean Penn, William Jefferson Clinton, Dan Rather, Michael Moore, Howard Dean, Hillary Rodham Clinton, Mahmud Ahnadinejad, Al Gore, John Kerry

All my heroes in one room!!

Wow. That one sentence says volumes, and is extremely disturbing.

Return to Top
#633433 - 11/03/06 06:17 PM Re: Crystal Ball 2006: THE PREDICTIONS
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

To win? I guess that depends on your perspective - if you are not quite sure what the purpose is, can you win?

Probably not. But, if you are not quite sure what the purpose is, have you been paying attention? The mainstream media hasn't, I know. The question is, have you?

Return to Top
#633434 - 11/03/06 06:29 PM Re: Crystal Ball 2006: THE PREDICTIONS
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Quote:

Quote:

To win? I guess that depends on your perspective - if you are not quite sure what the purpose is, can you win?

Probably not. But, if you are not quite sure what the purpose is, have you been paying attention? The mainstream media hasn't, I know. The question is, have you?

My point was based on the article's quote from a soldier saying that a lot of her friends (I assume are in the military) are not sure what the purpose or focus is.

I agree, we have to look beyond mainstream media. A friend recommended I read The Guardian; here's a quote from an article in their U.S. Special Report:

"An American general in Baghdad called Iraq a "work of art" in progress yesterday in one of the most extraordinary attempts by the US military leadership to put a positive spin on the worsening violence."

Return to Top
#633435 - 11/03/06 08:02 PM Re: Crystal Ball 2006: THE PREDICTIONS
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

A friend recommended I read The Guardian

You need better friends.

Return to Top
#633436 - 11/03/06 09:09 PM Re: Crystal Ball 2006: THE PREDICTIONS
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Quote:

You need better friends.

Are you volunteering?

Return to Top
#633437 - 11/04/06 08:08 PM Re: Crystal Ball 2006: THE PREDICTIONS
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I'd like to be friends with everyone on BOL, including you, Becka Marr.

Return to Top
#633438 - 11/05/06 06:04 PM Re: Crystal Ball 2006: THE PREDICTIONS
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Below is a list of bills currently sponsored by democrats that are being blocked because the GOP runs the house. So this should be a little preview for anyone curious as to what the dems would do if they return to power, and some examples as to why you can't let that happen.

Department of Peace and Nonviolence Act — H.R. 3760: Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) and 74 Democratic cosponsors propose a new “Department of Peace and Nonviolence” as well as “National Peace Day.” Cosponsors include three would-be Democratic Chairmen: John Conyers (Judiciary), George Miller (Education and the Workforce), and Charlie Rangel (Ways and Means).

Gas Stamps — H.R. 3712: Jim McDermott (D-WA) and eight Democratic cosponsors want a “Gas Stamps” program similar to the Food Stamps program to subsidize the gasoline purchases of qualified individuals.

Less Jail Time for Selling Crack Cocaine - H.R. 2456: Charlie Rangel (D-NY) and 23 Democratic cosponsors want to eliminate mandatory minimum sentences for possessing, importing, and distributing crack cocaine. John Conyers, the would-be Chairman of the Judiciary Committee, which has jurisdiction over the bill, is a cosponsor.

Voting Rights for Criminals - H.R. 1300: John Conyers (D-MI) and 32 Democratic cosponsors, and H.R. 663: Charlie Rangel (D-NY) and 28 Democratic cosponsors would let convicted felons vote. Rep. John Conyers is the would-be Democratic Chairman of the Judiciary Committee which would consider this legislation.

Expand Medicare to Include Diapers — H.R. 1052: Barney Frank (D-MA) supports Medicare coverage of adult diapers. Barney Frank is the would-be Chairman of the Financial Services Committee.

Nationalized Health Care - H.R. 4683: John Dingell (D-MI) and 18 Democratic cosponsors want to expand Medicare to cover all Americans. John Dingell is the would-be Democratic Chairman of the Energy and Commerce Committee who along with cosponsors Charlie Rangel, would-be Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, and Henry Waxman, would-be Chairman of the Government Reform Committee, would have jurisdiction over the proposal.

Federal Regulation of Restaurant Menus — H.R. 5563: Rosa DeLauro (D-CT) and 25 Democratic cosponsors authorize federal regulation of the contents of restaurant menus.

Taxpayer Funded Abortions & Elimination of all Restrictions on Abortion, Including Parental Notice - H.R. 5151: Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) and 66 Democratic cosponsors want to overturn even minimal restrictions on abortion such as parental notice requirements. The bill would also require taxpayer funding of abortions through the various federal health care programs. John Conyers, the would-be Chairman of Judiciary Committee which has jurisdiction over the bill, is an original cosponsor.

Bill of Welfare Rights — H.J. Res. 29-35: Jesse Jackson, Jr. (D-IL) proposes a Soviet-style “Bill of Welfare Rights,” enshrining the rights of full employment, public education, national healthcare, public housing, abortion, progressive taxation, and union membership. On some these measures, Rep. Jackson is joined by up to 35 Democratic cosponsors, including would-be Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers.

Justice for the Unprotected against Sexually Transmitted Infections among the Confined and Exposed Act (JUSTICE) Act (Lee, D-CA)—H.R. 6083. Requires community organizations to be allowed to distribute sexual barrier protection devices (e.g. condoms) in federal prisons. Also prohibits a federal prison from taking adverse action against a prisoner who possesses or uses a sexual barrier protection device.

End the War in Iraq Act (McGovern, D-MA)—H.R. 4232. Defunds the War in Iraq, forcing immediate troop withdrawal.

Universal National Service Act (Rangel, D-NY)—H.R. 4752. Makes it an obligation of every U.S. citizen, and every other person residing in the U.S., between the ages of 18 and 42, to perform a two-year period of national service, either as a member of an active or reserve component of the armed forces or in a civilian capacity that promotes national defense.

Tupac Shakur Records Release Act of 2006 (McKinney, D-GA)—H.R. 4968. Enshrines copies of government records concerning rapper Tupac Shakur in a specially created collection at the National Archives.

Antibullying Campaign Act (Nadler, D-NY)—H.R. 3787. Creates a new federal grant program aimed at reducing bullying in public schools “based on any distinguishing characteristic of an individual.”

Not listed is Raise your taxes, Cut the Millitary, and retreat against terrorism.

Return to Top
#633439 - 11/06/06 02:38 PM Re: Crystal Ball 2006: THE PREDICTIONS
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Most of those sound pretty good, X. Thanks for the info.

Return to Top
#633440 - 11/06/06 03:19 PM Re: Crystal Ball 2006: THE PREDICTIONS
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
I'm split pretty evenly on those, X. I like National Peace Day, Medicare coverage for diapers (I'm sure they get expensive for adults, too), national health care (although it has to be pricy), welfare rights, STD protection, Universal National Service Act and the anti-bullying. Not so hot about gas stamps, regulating menus or taxpayer funded abortions (although I consider myself pro-choice). Never really thought too much about Tupac, so I'll go either way on this.

Return to Top
#633441 - 11/06/06 04:29 PM Re: Crystal Ball 2006: THE PREDICTIONS
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Sounds good to me, Bacon Boy - now, could you arrange to send in your money to pay for all the plans that you like? Surely, you and Sweetpeas don't want our money for your stuff, right?

Return to Top
#633442 - 11/06/06 04:35 PM Re: Crystal Ball 2006: THE PREDICTIONS
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
I hope they hurry up with those restaurant menus, I can barely make a decision on what to eat without government intervention. Thanks X.

Return to Top
#633443 - 11/06/06 05:04 PM Re: Crystal Ball 2006: THE PREDICTIONS
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Sounds good to me, Bacon Boy - now, could you arrange to send in your money to pay for all the plans that you like? Surely, you and Sweetpeas don't want our money for your stuff, right?

Well, my money goes toward things I don't like. Why shouldn't everyone share the fun?

Return to Top
#633444 - 11/06/06 07:00 PM Re: Crystal Ball 2006: THE PREDICTIONS
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Some of those programs seem like good ideas. Some don't. I'm more of a "free will" Democrat, meaning I like think of myself in the old-school style of Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, Andrew Jackson, etc.

I'm in favor of any legislation that would protect our fundamental human rights, and I do believe that as humans we have the fundamental right to many of the things Congressman Jackson is proposing.

I am against any outrageous spending by the government, so I am in full favor of the defunding of the Iraq war.

I am also against any attempt to legilsate what people have the choice to eat.

But...I look at tomorrow as a choice. We can "stay the course" or "vote for change". I don't like the road I'm travelling on, so I'm up for a little detour. If it fails, well, we've only got another 2 years before we can do it all over again.

Return to Top
#633445 - 11/06/06 07:08 PM Re: Crystal Ball 2006: THE PREDICTIONS
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
I would need more info on the restaurant thing, but I thought it was more along the lines of allergy warnings and information like that, not determining what food can be served.

Return to Top
#633446 - 11/06/06 07:14 PM Re: Crystal Ball 2006: THE PREDICTIONS
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

now, could you arrange to send in your money to pay for all the plans that you like?

could you provide a list of GOP earmarks that we are currently funding out of thin air, X? i mean, who needs tax when we can just create money? it's the best of both worlds!

Return to Top
#633447 - 11/06/06 07:16 PM Re: Crystal Ball 2006: THE PREDICTIONS
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Quote:

I would need more info on the restaurant thing, but I thought it was more along the lines of allergy warnings and information like that, not determining what food can be served.

In NYC...the Bloomberg Administration has an advocate who is fighting for the elimination of trans-fat in all NYC eateries...

A state legislator here in NJ is trying to follow suit and outlaw it in the entire state of NJ...

That is where I have problems...

Return to Top
#633448 - 11/06/06 07:19 PM Re: Crystal Ball 2006: THE PREDICTIONS
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

In NYC...the Bloomberg Administration has an advocate who is fighting for the elimination of trans-fat in all NYC eateries...

A state legislator here in NJ is trying to follow suit and outlaw it in the entire state of NJ...

I completely understand. I wouldn't support that, but it would be nice to have some allergy info or ingredients listings for those with severe food allergies. I've found the wait staff has no idea when you ask them. Luckily I"m just allergic to Nutra Sweet so if I stay away from diet pop I'm usually Ok when I eat out.

Return to Top
#633449 - 11/06/06 07:20 PM Re: Crystal Ball 2006: THE PREDICTIONS
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Quote:

Quote:

now, could you arrange to send in your money to pay for all the plans that you like?

could you provide a list of GOP earmarks that we are currently funding out of thin air, X? i mean, who needs tax when we can just create money? it's the best of both worlds!

I send funds to pay for those earmarks, but you need to pony up for all the new stuff if your fellow democraps take over. So, just send extra each week - like around $1K per week will do it for now, but more later.

Return to Top
#633450 - 11/06/06 07:23 PM Re: Crystal Ball 2006: THE PREDICTIONS
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I completely understand. I wouldn't support that, but it would be nice to have some allergy info or ingredients listings for those with severe food allergies. I've found the wait staff has no idea when you ask them. Luckily I"m just allergic to Nutra Sweet so if I stay away from diet pop I'm usually Ok when I eat out.

I agree with you on that...like I said, I'm a beginning to view myself as a libertarian (little "l" because I still agree with some of the things the big "L" Libertatians disagree with), so I believe in protecting our fundamental human rights. We have the right to be healthy and not be in fear of dying from food allergies out at dinner with friends...so tell me what is in the food...but don't tell me what I can't have...

Return to Top
#633451 - 11/06/06 07:24 PM Re: Crystal Ball 2006: THE PREDICTIONS
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
oh, so since they are GOP earmarks they MUST be worthy of tax dollars? why not just confront the issue i raised?

or is election season and your lexicon only knows fear? fear of terrorism, fear of actually paying for what you spend, etc...

Return to Top
#633452 - 11/06/06 07:29 PM Re: Crystal Ball 2006: THE PREDICTIONS
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Sounds like someone watched 60 minutes last night where they did a story on earmarks.

Return to Top
#633453 - 11/06/06 07:30 PM Re: Crystal Ball 2006: THE PREDICTIONS
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
If Peace Day means a day off, I am all for it. Otherwise, those are a waste of $ and time. I really don't need Uncle Sam running health care (Medicaid and Medicare are running very well) or getting involved in any of those areas....

Return to Top
#633454 - 11/06/06 07:33 PM Re: Crystal Ball 2006: THE PREDICTIONS
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

Sounds like someone watched 60 minutes last night where they did a story on earmarks.

i did catch parts. i was playing WoW at the time. actually, i was onto the whole earmark fiasco as a result of watching the "broken government" series on cnn last week. (did i catch a smile out of you?! am i back in the circle of trust?)

Return to Top
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7