Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#634251 - 11/03/06 09:19 PM Are there no more secrets?
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
This must be Al Gore's fault for inventing the internet!

U.S. Web Archive is Said to Reveal a Nuclear Primer

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#634252 - 11/03/06 09:25 PM Re: Are there no more secrets?
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Of course there are! But we can't tell you, or they won't be secrets anymore!

Return to Top
#634253 - 11/03/06 10:22 PM Re: Are there no more secrets?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

But I thought Iraq didn't have any WMD programs that were a threat? If that's true, how could any information from their records be any help at all to another rogue state?

Return to Top
#634254 - 11/03/06 10:23 PM Re: Are there no more secrets?
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
I have a secret.

Return to Top
#634255 - 11/03/06 10:35 PM Re: Are there no more secrets?
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

Quote:

But I thought Iraq didn't have any WMD programs that were a threat? If that's true, how could any information from their records be any help at all to another rogue state?

From Fox News

Report: No Iraq WMDs Made After '91
Thursday, October 07, 2004

E-MAIL STORY RESPOND TO EDITOR PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION Story tools
sponsored by

WASHINGTON — The chief U.S. arms inspector in Iraq has found no evidence of weapons of mass destruction (search) production by Saddam Hussein's (search) regime after 1991.

But the final report by Charles Duelfer (search) concluded that, although the weapons stockpiles were destroyed, Saddam’s government was looking to begin a WMD program again.

Click here to read Key Findings Report.

Click here to read Vol. 1.

Click here to read Vol. 2.

Click here to read Vol. 3.

The Bush administration invaded Iraq in March 2003 on the grounds that its WMD programs posed a threat to American national security.

In his report, Duelfer concluded that Saddam's Iraq had no stockpiles of the banned weapons, but he said he found signs of idle programs that Saddam could have revived once international attention waned.

Return to Top
#634256 - 11/03/06 10:45 PM Re: Are there no more secrets?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

idle programs that Saddam could have revived...

No, No, NO! Bush lied, people died; we only went to war for oil; we only went to war because Bush was trying to get the man who tried to kill his daddy; we only went to war because Haliburton wanted to; we only went to war to help the Republican party; we only went to war for Israel...

Return to Top
#634257 - 11/03/06 11:28 PM Re: Are there no more secrets?
CubDave Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:

I have a secret.

What is it?

Return to Top
#634258 - 11/03/06 11:47 PM Re: Are there no more secrets?
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Quote:

In his report, Duelfer concluded that Saddam's Iraq had no stockpiles of the banned weapons, but he said he found signs of idle programs that Saddam could have revived once international attention waned.

So, there was no evidence of stockpiled weapons, and no evidence of any active program to create weapons; and our president decided it would be a good idea to publicize documents that could help other nations to build weapons?

Return to Top
#634259 - 11/03/06 11:59 PM Re: Are there no more secrets?
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

Quote:

So, there was no evidence of stockpiled weapons, and no evidence of any active program to create weapons; and our president decided it would be a good idea to publicize documents that could help other nations to build weapons?

I may be wrong, but I thought the info was released after a FOIA request.

Return to Top
#634260 - 11/04/06 12:24 AM Re: Are there no more secrets?
Non Ron anon Offline
Gold Star

Quote:

No, as the story said, this was the brainchild of Congressional Republicans.

Return to Top
#634261 - 11/04/06 12:59 AM Re: Are there no more secrets?
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Quote:

Quote:

I have a secret.

What is it?

If I told you it wouldn't be a secret. Unless you kept it a secret and then it would be your secret.

Return to Top
#634262 - 11/04/06 08:02 PM Re: Are there no more secrets?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Quote:

No, as the story said, this was the brainchild of Congressional Republicans.

Hmm...you mean Republicans wanted nuclear blueprints on the internet? Or, did they maybe want the information that was made available to have this type of thing removed?

Return to Top
#634263 - 11/06/06 03:30 PM Re: Are there no more secrets?
steven1950 Offline
Diamond Poster
steven1950
San Francisco
Three reasons were given for invading Iraq. One, WMD. Two, Iraq purchase of uranium ore from Niger. Three, Iraqi ties to alQaida. All proved to be lies.

This administration cannot be trusted to tell the truth.

Return to Top
#634264 - 11/06/06 03:39 PM Re: Are there no more secrets?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I'd like to see where anyone claimed that Iraq had purchased uranium ore from Niger.

Return to Top
#634265 - 11/06/06 03:39 PM Re: Are there no more secrets?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:

This administration cannot be trusted to tell the truth.

I did not have sex with that woman, ms. lewinsky

i think that turning control of the canal back to panama is a good idea

i am not a criminal

happy birthday mr president

this tax reform package will benefit all taxpayers, not just the wealthy

gee, please tell me what administration can be trusted to tell the truth.

Return to Top
#634266 - 11/06/06 04:21 PM Re: Are there no more secrets?
doubledown21 Offline
100 Club
Planet Earth
Can any politician be trusted to tell the truth? I'm pretty sure being a convincing liar is a job requirement no matter what side of the aisle they sit on.

Return to Top
#634267 - 11/06/06 05:31 PM Re: Are there no more secrets?
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
As I'd understood the story; the portal *was* the brainchild of conservative Republicans. The goal was to encourage research to show, as posted above, evidence of interest in or programs to develop WMDs, to counterbalance the, ah actual lack of physical evidence.

There were millions and millions of pages in Arabic, a dearth of translators and a lot of pressure to get the documents up on the portal. The results were predictable.

The interesting things is, that about a year ago, a group found some pretty sophisticated formulations for weaponized nerve agents, expressed their dismay and the pages in question were taken down. No one, however, took that as a cue to review or control what *else* was on the site.

Return to Top
#634268 - 11/06/06 06:02 PM Re: Are there no more secrets?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
As I understand, the idea that the public ought to have an accurate picture of what Saddam was up to was the brainchild of conservative Republicans, who also said that any information that would damage US security should not be made public. What is so hard to understand about that? The blame for posting these documents rests with the DNI - or his underlings, if you prefer - not anybody in Congress. That's like blaming individual Congressional representatives for that letter sent after 9/11 to Muhammed Atta approving his visa. It is a mistake of implementation, not policy.

Return to Top
#634269 - 11/06/06 06:17 PM Re: Are there no more secrets?
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
J-man, save your typing, some individuals will never believe anything but pure evil about Republicans.

Return to Top
#634270 - 11/06/06 06:21 PM Re: Are there no more secrets?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

J-man, save your typing, some individuals will never believe anything but pure evil about Republicans.

Gee, if I make comments like this it's called piling on and adding nothing to the discussion.

Return to Top
#634271 - 11/06/06 06:22 PM Re: Are there no more secrets?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Quote:

Gee, if I make comments like this it's called piling on and adding nothing to the discussion.

See, there you go again, SP. Now stop it!

Return to Top
#634272 - 11/06/06 06:24 PM Re: Are there no more secrets?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

See, there you go again, SP. Now stop it!

I know, my sense of justice gets me into trouble again.

Return to Top
#634273 - 11/06/06 06:45 PM Re: Are there no more secrets?
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Quote:

As I understand, the idea that the public ought to have an accurate picture of what Saddam was up to was the brainchild of conservative Republicans, who also said that any information that would damage US security should not be made public. What is so hard to understand about that? The blame for posting these documents rests with the DNI - or his underlings, if you prefer - not anybody in Congress. That's like blaming individual Congressional representatives for that letter sent after 9/11 to Muhammed Atta approving his visa. It is a mistake of implementation, not policy.

The blame lies with Congressman Peter Hoekstra. As chair of the House Intelligence Committee, he grew more and more frustrated that John Negroponte would not declassify information that Hoekstra thought would justify the war in Iraq.

Now...he is blaming Negroponte for posting these items on the Operation Iraqi Freedo document portal. In reality, this was the brainchild of Rep. Peter Hoekstra and Senator Pat Roberts, chair of the Senate Intelligence committee.

http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/001941.php

http://www2.ljworld.com/blogs/kansas_congress/2006/nov/03/nuclear/

Return to Top
#634274 - 11/06/06 07:06 PM Re: Are there no more secrets?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
So, where did Hoekstra and Roberts advocate for putting this particular document, or any that would compromise US security, on the internet? Thanks in advance for the link.

Return to Top
#634275 - 11/06/06 07:11 PM Re: Are there no more secrets?
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Jokerman...no one, Dem or GOP, would advocate putting a document on the internet that would compromise US security.

The problem is, these two officials, as well as many others in the GOP leadership, have become so zealous in regards to the War in Iraq, that they have used many unthinking responses in regards to judgement.

They didn't advocate posting documents that would compromise our security, but they did not use sound judgement in not reviewing the documents first before demanding the DNI make them available to the public.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2