Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#635411 - 11/08/06 05:26 AM Tonight's Victory
steven1950 Offline
Diamond Poster
steven1950
San Francisco
It's 9:20 on the West Coast, and the Democrats have taken the House. Nancy will be the next Speaker of the House!!

In order for the Democrats to take the Senate, we now need three victories in either Montana, Missouri, Tennessee, or Virginia. Not to be a pessimist, but it looks daunting. At least we will have picked-up some seats and, in 2008, we'll take the Senate and the White House.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#635412 - 11/08/06 07:30 AM Re: Tonight's Victory
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
It's 11:26 on the West Coast and you were too pessimistic. Looks like the Dems got all but Tennessee (though VA is headed to a recount, it's hard to see that changing the outcome). Congratulations. Gloat for a day. Then get to governing! I hope your team makes something of the opportunity because the country sure needs it.

Return to Top
#635413 - 11/08/06 11:56 AM Re: Tonight's Victory
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Then get to governing! I hope your team makes something of the opportunity because the country sure needs it.

Amen. I guess the country, in general, was just a wee bit disenchanted with the current state of things.

Return to Top
#635414 - 11/08/06 12:43 PM Re: Tonight's Victory
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
I wonder if Democrats will simply treat the Republicans as they were treated while the Republicans enjoyed the majority, or if they will attempt genuine bipartisanship.

Return to Top
#635415 - 11/08/06 12:47 PM Re: Tonight's Victory
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I wonder what Bush's olive branch will look like... probably like Bob Barker's microphone is my guess...

Return to Top
#635416 - 11/08/06 01:12 PM Re: Tonight's Victory
Patriot Offline
Gold Star
Bush better leave the veto pen in the desk. The reason is spelled i-m-p-e-a-c-h-m-e-n-t.

Now Congress can get down to work on universal healthcare, a sensible immigration policy, an end to the Iraq nightmare, restoration of our civil liberties, and improving our safety and security by renewing our image and influence abroad. Did I miss anything?

Return to Top
#635417 - 11/08/06 01:38 PM Re: Tonight's Victory
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
yeah KevinT...reality. Univbersal healthcare will never come, and if the Dems create it, we will look like England and Canada, where it takes a mere 18 months to get a doctors appointment. We have a sensible immigration poicy, it just isn't being followed. I'm unaware that any of my civil liberties were missing. They will debacle Iraq as well. And our image abroad is creating saftey issues? Riggghhhhtttttt.....

Return to Top
#635418 - 11/08/06 01:56 PM Re: Tonight's Victory
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:

I wonder if Democrats will simply treat the Republicans as they were treated while the Republicans enjoyed the majority, or if they will attempt genuine bipartisanship.

That's a fair question. Of course a second question also has to be asked - I wonder if the Republicans will follow the Democrats' example and simply oppose for the sake of opposing, or will they attempt genuine bipartisanship?

Return to Top
#635419 - 11/08/06 01:59 PM Re: Tonight's Victory
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

simply oppose for the sake of opposing

did this really happen, west oast early bird?

Return to Top
#635420 - 11/08/06 02:03 PM Re: Tonight's Victory
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

yeah KevinT...reality. Univbersal healthcare will never come, and if the Dems create it, we will look like England and Canada, where it takes a mere 18 months to get a doctors appointment. We have a sensible immigration poicy, it just isn't being followed. I'm unaware that any of my civil liberties were missing. They will debacle Iraq as well. And our image abroad is creating saftey issues? Riggghhhhtttttt.....

Happy, thanks for bringing us back to reality, lol.

Return to Top
#635421 - 11/08/06 02:06 PM Re: Tonight's Victory
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

Happy, thanks for bringing us back to [conservative fear-mongering] reality

lol

Return to Top
#635422 - 11/08/06 02:22 PM Re: Tonight's Victory
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
?
Quote:

Quote:

That's a fair question. Of course a second question also has to be asked - I wonder if the Republicans will follow the Democrats' example and simply oppose for the sake of opposing, or will they attempt genuine bipartisanship

Unless the leadership in the Congress suddenly changed over night, it is difficult to see anything changing. Leading up to 1994, Republicans moaned and complained about how they were treated for 40 years while the Dems were in the majority. Then they came to power and and treated the Dems the exact same way.

The rhetoric if this campaign from the House Demcratic leadership makes me wonder what they will do. The rhetoric from the White House was not much better (if at all).

The key to progress is the President. We need to see the GWB that governed with the Democrats in Texas, not the go-it-alone, appeal-only-to-the-base man who ran the country for the past six years.

If either Congress or the President truly want to accomplish anything, watch to see if they tackle immigration reform first. The President's plan was not that far from the Dems'. If they truly want to be bipartisan, that's where they'll start.

Last edited by redsfan; 11/08/06 02:53 PM.
Return to Top
#635423 - 11/08/06 02:25 PM Re: Tonight's Victory
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Ron - no conservative fear mongering at all, just reality. The bottom line is that regardless of which party is the majority, the other works to constantly undermine anything they attempt. The elected leaders of this country have forgotten that they are here to serve the people, not an agenda. Sadly, we continue to allow them to do this...

Return to Top
#635424 - 11/08/06 02:28 PM Re: Tonight's Victory
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

Thanks for the laugh. You should know from all the posts in these threads there is no bipartisanship. From either side.

Return to Top
#635425 - 11/08/06 02:30 PM Re: Tonight's Victory
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Kevin, Please see the definition of Impeachment:

In the United States, impeachment can occur both at the federal and state level. At the federal level, different standards apply when the impeachment involves a member of the executive branch or of the judiciary (and dispute currently exists over the use of impeachment against members of the legislative branch.) For the executive branch, only those who have allegedly committed "treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors" may be impeached. Although treason and bribery are obvious, the Constitution is silent on what constitutes a "high crime or misdemeanor."

The President may not be impeached for exercising his right to veto bills. You would do well to read Redsfan's comments in this thread. No one in Washington is "clean" with unblemished records.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#635426 - 11/08/06 02:34 PM Re: Tonight's Victory
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Bush better leave the veto pen in the desk. The reason is spelled i-m-p-e-a-c-h-m-e-n-t.

Oh please. The reason he won't have to is spelled f-i-l-l-a-b-u-s-t-e-r. Why shouldn't the Republican minority use the same tactic as the Democrats?

Oh, and impeaching a President is not how you respond to a veto. You respond to a veto with a 2/3rds overide if I recall correctly. The President has done nothing to be impeached over.

Return to Top
#635427 - 11/08/06 02:35 PM Re: Tonight's Victory
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Well, I don't give a fig about how the Democrats treat the Republicans, or what the left thinks their victory is going to mean for universal healthcare, minimum wage hikes, or whatever their pet causes were. As I've said before, I think there is some hope that on domestic issues (e.g., spending), a dem takeover will be a good thing.

The only issue here is Iraq. We have now swept into power the party of "redeployment to Okinawa". Here is what Hezbollah thinks this means for those Iraqis who have allied with us there:

Quote:

[America] will leave the Middle East, and the Arab and Islamic worlds, like they left Vietnam. I advise all those who place their trust in the Americans to learn the lesson of Vietnam...

I truly hope that the Democrats, having used Iraq as a partisan football for the past two and a half years, will finally act like grownups on the issue.

Republicans certainly didn't deserve re-election, given how far they had strayed from the ideals that swept them into power twelve years ago. I just hope that our country will be able to afford taking them to the wood shed at this critical juncture in history.

Return to Top
#635428 - 11/08/06 02:36 PM Re: Tonight's Victory
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Quote:

Oh please. The reason he won't have to is spelled f-i-l-l-a-b-u-s-t-e-r. Why shouldn't the Republican minority use the same tactic as the Democrats?

Oh, and impeaching a President is not how you respond to a veto. You respond to a veto with a 2/3rds overide if I recall correctly. The President has done nothing to be impeached over.

Actually, it is spelled...f-i-l-i-b-u-s-t-e-r...

Return to Top
#635429 - 11/08/06 02:38 PM Re: Tonight's Victory
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, it is spelled...f-i-l-i-b-u-s-t-e-r...

Ok, it's spelled wrong. Now lets spend the next three months quoting the definition from the dictionary, and citing the recent uses of the tactic by Democrats. That should work to keep a vote away.

You should know how that works. It's how the democrats PREVENTED legislation on the things people are now saying they will fix.

Return to Top
#635430 - 11/08/06 02:40 PM Re: Tonight's Victory
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Cranky this morning, aren't we?

Return to Top
#635431 - 11/08/06 02:41 PM Re: Tonight's Victory
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

Ron - no conservative fear mongering at all, just reality. The bottom line is that regardless of which party is the majority, the other works to constantly undermine anything they attempt. The elected leaders of this country have forgotten that they are here to serve the people, not an agenda. Sadly, we continue to allow them to do this...

listen, happy, i agree with everything you just said. i am trying to be optomistic in thinking that there was a reason for bloodletting in congress and that "reality" ends with the last one as the new blood is hopefully cognizant of actually accomplishing things for our country. just because there was a conservative agenda for america doesn't mean there will necessarily be a liberal agenda for the nation. and i've said it before and i will say it again, i am scared of what pelosi will do. i don't want the pendulum to swing to the opposite end of the spectrum.

(for instance, despite the fear-mongering about what liberals do with taxes, i remember hearing at least 3 winning candidates say that this was a victory for the middle-class)

Return to Top
#635432 - 11/08/06 02:41 PM Re: Tonight's Victory
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Cranky this morning, aren't we?

Not really, but saying that Democrats should try to impeach the President if he uses his veto is, frankly, the kind of stupidity and gamesmanship I expect from that party.

Return to Top
#635433 - 11/08/06 02:42 PM Re: Tonight's Victory
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Oh, for Christ's sake, stop lumping everyone together. "that party", good grief.

Return to Top
#635434 - 11/08/06 02:46 PM Re: Tonight's Victory
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

only those who have allegedly committed "treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors" may be impeached

recent precedent says otherwise...

Return to Top
#635435 - 11/08/06 02:47 PM Re: Tonight's Victory
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

Oh, for Christ's sake, stop lumping everyone together. "that party", good grief.

Yikes.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3