Thought you all would enjoy this.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#636465 - 11/09/06 08:35 PM Re: This is really funny
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
It would be even funnier if I could open it.

Return to Top
#636466 - 11/09/06 08:44 PM Re: This is really funny
Beige Offline
Power Poster
Beige
can't open here either

Return to Top
#636467 - 11/09/06 08:55 PM Re: This is really funny
A_G Offline
10K Club
I can't either

Return to Top
#636468 - 11/09/06 08:57 PM Re: This is really funny
Quadspapa Offline
Power Poster
Quadspapa
Quadrupletville, Texas
Me either, ha ha ha in advance and anticipation.

Return to Top
#636469 - 11/09/06 09:04 PM Re: This is really funny
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Apologies to those of you who tried my link. I wasn't trying to single anyone in particular out, but I wanted to test a theory.

Many forms of viruses, malware, adware, spyware, keyloggers, etc, are now being installed on computers just by visiting a particular website with embedded coding. I continue to be amazed at the responses to posts here where someone will post a website and encourage others to visit it and they do without any regard to internet safety.

So my experiment was to set up a link to a site that even included the words "malware" in the site name. The link I provided goes to a non-existent website that I called "malwareisnotfunny.com". Even with that, sure enough some of you went right on ahead and clicked the link. If this truly had been a malware site, your computer would probably be infected now. More and more the bad guys are finding that they can use youtube video files, facebook pages, all sorts of places where lots of people will click to infect computers. The result of the infection may be increased popup ads, may be the use of your computer in zombie attacks, may be infection of viruses, all sorts of bad things.

Point is, be prudent about where you click.

Return to Top
#636470 - 11/09/06 09:08 PM Re: This is really funny
Beige Offline
Power Poster
Beige
Sorry Dad

I'm going to go sit in the naughty chair now

Return to Top
#636471 - 11/09/06 09:08 PM Re: This is really funny
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
jim, that is decidely UNfunny!

thanks for the tip though (seriously!) may i go back to making my employer's system vulnerable to attacks again?

Return to Top
#636472 - 11/09/06 09:11 PM Re: This is really funny
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
And that CF is the reason that people should use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. Firefox is less susceptible to the typical viruses and malware. Plus it's just a better browser with some great add-on features.

Just my thoughts

Return to Top
#636473 - 11/09/06 09:13 PM Re: This is really funny
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
That is, until hackers start to focus on Firefox more, since it is open source and all.

But I agree, Firefox is so much better than Internet Explorer ever wanted to be.

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#636474 - 11/09/06 09:16 PM Re: This is really funny
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
Sheesh...do I feel like a class one idiot.

In all fairness though, I would open links from someone that I know on this site because I trust the known posters here. If someone I didn't know just sent me a link, I would definitely think twice, or ten times!

Return to Top
#636475 - 11/09/06 09:23 PM Re: This is really funny
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Jim - I thought we could trust you.

Return to Top
#636476 - 11/09/06 09:28 PM Re: This is really funny
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Quote:

That is, until hackers start to focus on Firefox more, since it is open source and all.

But I agree, Firefox is so much better than Internet Explorer ever wanted to be.

Down at the Space Center we actually blocked everyone from running IE because of the security holes. Even the new IE7 doesn't compare to Firefox!

Return to Top
#636477 - 11/09/06 09:30 PM Re: This is really funny
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

Down at the Space Center we actually blocked everyone from running IE because of the security holes. Even the new IE7 doesn't compare to Firefox!

wow, the chicks must be lining up at your door.

Return to Top
#636478 - 11/09/06 09:35 PM Re: This is really funny
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Quote:

Quote:

You have no idea! A 5 series BMW and NASA security clearance. I can't keep them away!

Return to Top
#636479 - 11/09/06 09:43 PM Re: This is really funny
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You have no idea! A 5 series BMW and NASA security clearance. I can't keep them away!

If only I wasn't married!

Return to Top
#636480 - 11/09/06 09:54 PM Re: This is really funny
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If only I wasn't married!

See what I mean Ron????

Return to Top
#636481 - 11/09/06 10:00 PM Re: This is really funny
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Quote:

So my experiment was to set up a link to a site that even included the words "malware" in the site name. The link I provided goes to a non-existent website that I called "malwareisnotfunny.com". Even with that, sure enough some of you went right on ahead and clicked the link.

Jim, even if people had noticed the name of the site, there is nothing indicating anything dangerous about it (such as a bunch of nonsense characters). There are plenty of sites that include the word "malware," and it could just as easily have been something really informative. What people ought to be able to trust is the source, just like with spam e-mail: if you don't know who sent it, delete it.

Return to Top
#636482 - 11/09/06 10:27 PM Re: This is really funny
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
What do you want to bet that if I had created a brand new Bankers Threads ID, and then posted this very same post, that folks still would have clicked on the link? What do you want to bet that they still would have done it if the website had all kind of gibberish in the name, they still would have clicked on the link? And finally, just because I'm the one who posted the link and just because you trust me, why does that make it safe? Maybe the site already fooled me into clicking on it and already infected me and I didn't even know it because I was too preoccupied with watching the funny little video clip on the site, or looking at the funny photo and trying to think up a caption and didn't even realize that in the background the program was installing malicious software. Then I passed it right along to everyone else by posting a link here.

Return to Top
#636483 - 11/09/06 10:36 PM Re: This is really funny
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
You duped many of us. No doubt about it. Good exercise in paying closer attention to what we are looking at.

Return to Top
#636484 - 11/09/06 10:57 PM Re: This is really funny
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
I am proud of myself, I didn't do it. But not too proud as I have before without even thinking about it.

Return to Top
#636485 - 11/09/06 11:07 PM Re: This is really funny
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
What a great lesson! I expect to be teaching another online course on ID theft and Internet fraud next summer or fall. If you have no objection, I may "borrow" your idea and even credit you!

Return to Top
#636486 - 11/09/06 11:11 PM Re: This is really funny
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
I didn't click the link either, but it was because I knew that our web filters would have blocked it. Plus when I moused over and saw the URL, I didn't want to click it anyway.

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#636487 - 11/10/06 02:16 AM Re: This is really funny
Texas Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Wow! That was hilarious. Thanks for sharing the laughs!

Return to Top
#636488 - 11/10/06 03:08 AM Re: This is really funny
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Quote:

What do you want to bet that if I had created a brand new Bankers Threads ID, and then posted this very same post, that folks still would have clicked on the link? What do you want to bet that they still would have done it if the website had all kind of gibberish in the name, they still would have clicked on the link? And finally, just because I'm the one who posted the link and just because you trust me, why does that make it safe?

I'm not challenging the validity of your point. The internet is not secure technology, and it doesn't hurt to be reminded of this fact every once in a while. But it's not something most people are going to worry about (if they did, then they probably wouldn't use the internet). Even the most expert users can be duped.

Most internet users either don't recognize the risks, or they recognize the risks and accept them--which is why bloated file-sharing sites like MySpace are a huge success. The people trying to exploit weaknesses in the technology and take advantage of ignorant users are still a minority, IMHO.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2