Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options Tools
#64564 - 02/28/03 04:20 PM Geocoding: Legal address
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
Anyone out there have a good system to find out the geocoding information when all you have is a legal description for a plot of land out in nowhere land. The one we have right now is in a county that we don't normally do business in, so I don't have a plat book handy. That means that unless I can find a better solution I will be running to the library this afternoon to page through a plat book to find the SW1/4 of tract 12 in the township of wherever. Please tell me there is an easier way!!!!

Return to Top
General Discussion
#64565 - 02/28/03 04:24 PM Re: Geocoding: Legal address
Patsy Cline Offline
Diamond Poster
Patsy Cline
On the road...
Do you know the city, state and zip code? Go to the FFIEC's website and select geocoding. Type in "main" for the street address, enter the city, state and zip code then search. It will come back address not found BUT it will give you the option to get a map of the zip code area.

This might help!

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" ~ unknown

Return to Top
#64566 - 02/28/03 04:28 PM Re: Geocoding: Legal address
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
Thanks Michelle....I did try that unfortunately this is not a small town where all outlying areas are in one tract. It is an MSA with many, many, many tracts

Return to Top
#64567 - 02/28/03 04:30 PM Re: Geocoding: Legal address
hmdagal Online
Power Poster
hmdagal
I've got census maps for all of the Wisconsin counties that are not in an MSA. What county/what town are they? Do you have information on any crossroads or nearby lakes/rivers etc?

Return to Top
#64568 - 02/28/03 04:37 PM Re: Geocoding: Legal address
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
I agree with Michelle's advise, but I'll give you another resource. While FFIEC's site is pretty good, the maps can be sometimes be rather, well, lacking. The detail sometimes stinks.

Here's a site from American Fact Finder, through the US Census Bureau. It is pretty quick and accurate. Just keep clicking into the area you need to zoom into. Odds are, if your property is "in nowhere land", there won't be a census tract boundary running flat down the middle of it, so as long as you get pretty close, the census tract will be easy to determine. You may have to contact the customer to find out some info on the property location (i.e. just SW of Littleville, between Dirtdigger Lane and Deadman's Ave.)

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/AdvancedGeoSearchMapFramesetServlet?_lang=en&_command=getPlacenames

Also, on FFIEC's site, there is a "FFIEC census reports" link at the bottom of this page. http://www.ffiec.gov/geocode/default.htm

If you click in it, you can at least find the state and county codes to go with your census tract code from American Fact Finder.

Granted, with this method you have to do a bit of on-line searching, but in my book, at least you still have your cushy chair, background music, etc., and no dusty plat books!

Good luck!

Return to Top
#64569 - 02/28/03 04:44 PM Re: Geocoding: Legal address
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
Quote:

unfortunately this is not a small town where all outlying areas are in one tract. It is an MSA with many, many, many tracts

Shoot. I'm afraid my suggestions may not work then, either. Sorry about that! Heck, you may still want to try the American Fact Finder site, though. The detail may be good enough to pinpoint your property if you find out some of the crossroads.

Return to Top
#64570 - 02/28/03 04:46 PM Re: Geocoding: Legal address
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
To find general areas, I have used this successfully a number of times, when in a pinch. It is good when you know where, but 911 addresses are hard to come by.

http://plue.sedac.ciesin.org/plue/ddviewer/
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#64571 - 02/28/03 05:07 PM Re: Geocoding: Legal address
RGS Offline
Platinum Poster
RGS
Home of the 8 time NCAA Champ ...
Although not a perfect solution, I've found that the maps on http://www.census.gov/geo/www/maps/CP_MapProducts.htm
help me to find "where" a tract is, but I generally have to quiz the lender to find out "where" (in relation to other locations that I can locate on the map) in order to make the maps work for me. Luckily for me our lenders are expected to know the "where" and they are cooperative in helping me "play Sherlock Holmes".

Return to Top
#64572 - 02/28/03 06:26 PM Re: Geocoding: Legal address
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
Hmdagal,

Here is what I have:
The SE1/4 of the SE1/4 of Section 34, Township 17 North, Range 4 East, Town of Germantown, Juneau County, Wisconsin, lying South of County Trunk Highway "G", except lands used for Petras Lane.

Thanks for all the help everyone! Maybe I won't have to spend the afternoon at the library!

Return to Top
#64573 - 02/28/03 06:54 PM Re: Geocoding: Legal address
Tina A Sweet Offline
Diamond Poster
Tina A Sweet
Marysville, Ca.
Jennifer,

If you only have a lot, you may need to use the business address. In my area that is usually the house. Ag is usually like that. BIG Ag area.

Return to Top
#64574 - 02/28/03 07:05 PM Re: Geocoding: Legal address
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
HMDAGAL - Why is it you only have a legal description? Is this a construction loan, or a construction-perm loan? If it's construction only, then you don't need to report it.

If it's a construction perm, or any other type of HMDA reportable, and you only have a legal description, then you have my sympathies.

Return to Top
#64575 - 02/28/03 07:08 PM Re: Geocoding: Legal address
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
If it is East of 19th ave (I believe it is) The tract is 9903.00. If its West it 9904.00

I'm e-mailig you a map

Return to Top
#64576 - 02/28/03 07:14 PM Re: Geocoding: Legal address
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
OOps Need you e-mail address. Its not on your profile

Return to Top
#64577 - 02/28/03 07:15 PM Re: Geocoding: Legal address
I Wear Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
I Wear Many Hats
the beautiful state of ME
Was there an appraisal? Our appraisers put the geo code on one of the first pages of the appraisal - where there is lots of information in teeny, tiny type. Is the county in your assessment area? I had an OCC examiner tell me I didn't need to geo code loans made out of our assessment area because they weren't going to count them anyway. Now, for out of area loans, I don't bother unless I can easily find it.

Opinions are mine and mine alone.

Return to Top
#64578 - 02/28/03 08:59 PM Re: Geocoding: Legal address
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
Thank you all so very much. This was a small business (CRA) loan where this plot of land was taken for collateral. No construction, no appraisal. The lender seems to think that it is easier for me to spend an hour at the library than to have someone disturb his customer with such trivial information such as the exact location of the property! No offense to any commercial lenders out there...but come on, my feeling is you took the collateral, now you tell me where it is! Ok Rant over...maybe it is these pregnancy hormones

I just finished e-mailing Don a very nice thank you for all his hard work. I have never personally used his services before but WOW if his customer service is anything like his responses here on BOL that is definitely a place I want to do business with!

Return to Top
#64579 - 02/28/03 09:17 PM Re: Geocoding: Legal address
Lu Offline
Platinum Poster
Hey R.G.! Love your picture!
Go cats!

Return to Top
#64580 - 02/28/03 09:19 PM Re: Geocoding: Legal address
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Just curoius - If the LO has not seen the property, how does he know that the bank isn't in line to own a toxic waste dump? I hope there is other collateral or the borrower has other strengths. Lending on property sight unseen is not a sound lending practice. Depending on the value of the transaction, the appraisal rules are not limited to improved real property either.

I'm with you, most good credit officers would know the collateral's whereabouts.

Return to Top
#64581 - 02/28/03 09:25 PM Re: Geocoding: Legal address
RGS Offline
Platinum Poster
RGS
Home of the 8 time NCAA Champ ...
Quote:

Hey R.G.! Love your picture!
Go cats!

Thanks lhf. I don't remember where I found it, but it's my favorite so far!

Return to Top
#64582 - 03/01/03 12:02 AM Re: Geocoding: Legal address
complyguy Offline
Gold Star
complyguy
PA
Quote:

Just curoius - If the LO has not seen the property, how does he know that the bank isn't in line to own a toxic waste dump? I hope there is other collateral or the borrower has other strengths. Lending on property sight unseen is not a sound lending practice. Depending on the value of the transaction, the appraisal rules are not limited to improved real property either.

I'm with you, most good credit officers would know the collateral's whereabouts.

Thanks for bringing that up. I was thinking CERCLA/SARA, too, but I'm strange that way.

Return to Top
#64583 - 03/01/03 01:20 AM Re: Geocoding: Legal address
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Just a thought (too late to be thinking) the loan was on raw land? That wouldn't be reported as a commercial and industrial loan right? (Call report instructions: Exclude from commercial and industrial loans: (1) Loans secrued by real estate, even if for commercial and industrial purposes (report in Schedule RC-C, part 1, item 1). ????

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#64584 - 03/01/03 01:38 AM Re: Geocoding: Legal address
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Sue,

In regard to "I had an OCC examiner tell me I didn't need to geo code loans made out of our assessment area because they weren't going to count them anyway. Now, for out of area loans, I don't bother unless I can easily find it."
Are you a Large Bank for HMDA?

Return to Top
#64585 - 03/01/03 03:50 AM Re: Geocoding: Legal address
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

I had an OCC examiner tell me I didn't need to geocode loans made out of our assessment area because they weren't going to count them anyway. Now, for out of area loans, I don't bother unless I can easily find it."

CA, I am hoping she is not and this is supported by the fact that small banks are judged partially on loans in and out of their area. If her bank is a large bank, HMDA reporter, consider re-evaluating this position.

ยง203.4 Compilation of loan data (e) Data reporting under CRA for banks and savings associations with total assets of $250 million or more and banks and savings associations that are subsidiaries of a holding company whose total banking and thrift assets are $1 billion or more. As required by agency regulations that implement the Community Reinvestment Act, banks and savings associations that had total assets of $250 million or more (or are subsidiaries of a holding company with total banking and thrift assets of $1 billion or more) as of December 31 for each of the immediately preceding two years, shall also collect the location of property located outside the MSAs in which the institution has a home or branch office, or outside any MSAs.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#64586 - 03/01/03 03:59 AM Re: Geocoding: Legal address
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Andy, that is exactly what I was thinking. You know, I hope there is life after HMDA. I'm going home. I bet you are at home, playing with those kewl toys, right.

Return to Top
#64587 - 03/01/03 04:34 AM Re: Geocoding: Legal address
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Wireless in the easy chair. You betcha!

Return to Top
#64588 - 03/01/03 09:54 PM Re: Geocoding: Legal address
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
For the large bank folks, I geocode everything. If you can show that you're more than meeting the needs of your assessment area you can get "extra" credit for meeting the needs of low and moderate income deals outside of your assessment area as well on the lending and service test.

The Rural Native Distressed Communities Program I get so many nifty awards for is entirely OUTSIDE of my assessment area. Because the needs are so high and the level of service provided in these areas is low to nothing, I can swing from Satisfactory to Outstanding on these deals.

So...I geocode everything You never know what you might find out you're doing!

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2