BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#64934 - 03/03/03 07:01 PM Audit training
Loanshark Offline
New Poster
Loanshark
NC
I am looking for some basic audit training. I saw the ICBA Auditing Institute, but that covered somethings I don't need like starting a audit department and IT auditing. Does anyone have any other seminars to recommend? Thanks

Return to Top
Audit
#64935 - 03/03/03 10:06 PM Re: Audit training
wlavoie Offline
Gold Star
wlavoie
Hell's Canyon
I went to the ICBA classes and loved them. I think you can "opt out" of the sections you don't need. They have a certification program but I chose not to take the tests. I don't know about the "start up" section, but it gave you basic auditing skills including how to set up workpapers and it also had audit programs for different sections of the bank.

I guess it depends on your skill level, but I had limited banking experience and no audit experience (except whtat I needed to pass the CPA exam) and the ICBA classes made the world of difference.

Return to Top
#64936 - 03/05/03 03:10 PM Re: Audit training
TDW Offline
Gold Star
I am going to the Audit Institution in Missouri in May and I signed up the get the certification. Do you know of anybody who has taken the tests? I am curious as to the complexity of them!!

Return to Top
#64937 - 03/05/03 04:18 PM Re: Audit training
wlavoie Offline
Gold Star
wlavoie
Hell's Canyon
Most everyone took the tests when I went (except me!). They had to put in some extra study time, but as far as I know, everyone passed first time. The instructors have a review session after each section and discuss what areas will be on the test. You will be at a table with up to 7 other people for the week. Some will be more experienced...pick their brains. Try to set up a study session together and you should do fine!

Return to Top
#64938 - 03/05/03 04:58 PM Re: Audit training
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
I completed the program in 2001 and the tests are not a piece of cake, but if you are paying attention and do some review of the material provided, you will do just fine.

Return to Top
#64939 - 03/05/03 05:10 PM Re: Audit training
TDW Offline
Gold Star
Thanks for the input! I guess I won't be "out on the town" each night!!

Return to Top
#64940 - 03/06/03 03:30 AM Re: Audit training
c.a.r Offline
Gold Star
c.a.r
Texas, USA
I am sending in a request to attend this school in Kansas City MO also... Not sure about the test but I might just give it a try.

Return to Top
#64941 - 03/06/03 01:58 PM Re: Audit training
TDW Offline
Gold Star
Can't hurt to try, it is only another $75.00 per week! I am just taking the first week in MO and the second in MN in September, couldn't stay away from my family for TWO whole weeks, one is hard enough!!

Return to Top
#64942 - 03/06/03 02:39 PM Re: Audit training
Last Mango Offline
Gold Star
Too Far From the Beach
Try the following organizations.

Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) – many seminars at varied locations (although not always banking specific), on-line training, and an annual financial services conference - The IIA also has a certification - Certified Financial Services Auditor

MIS Training Institute has many seminars in general and IT auditing - also has on-line training

Americas Community Bankers (ACB) usually once a year training in one location but industry specific

Bank Administration Institute(BAI) industry specific seminars but few locations

Good Luck!

Disclaimer: My opinion above is not intended as legal advice because I am not a lawyer. If I were, I would be charging for my thoughts at the rate of $300 per hour in additional to fees for phone calls, copies, faxes etc. etc. My ramblings are certainly not the opinion of my employer and, if you ask my wife, not worth 2¢.

Return to Top
#64943 - 03/06/03 05:06 PM Re: Audit training
Walleye Woman Offline
Platinum Poster
Walleye Woman
The tests are not simple but if you attend the study session you should pass easily. If you do not pass the test the first time you are allowed to retake the test after reviewing your answers.

A word of caution. If you do test and certify, do not let your certification lapse. I did as my husband had a job transfer and I did not plan on getting another internal auditing job. Two years later I was offered the job and had to recertify. I had to attend a week of the Auditing Institute and retest plus pay back annual fees. Once you get that certification - keep it!

I'd rather be fishing.

Return to Top
#64944 - 03/07/03 02:07 AM Re: Audit training
c.a.r Offline
Gold Star
c.a.r
Texas, USA
It is going to be hard but I want to go ahead and complete both weeks. It will be hard to be away, but it will be harder to get me on a plane again. One plane trip every 20 years is good for me.

Return to Top
#64945 - 03/07/03 04:55 PM Re: Audit training
Anonymous
Unregistered

Taking both weeks together is tough and long. But I'm glad I did it that way. You'll be fine taking the tests as long as you attend the study review sessions and plan on spending some time at night reviewing your notes.

Return to Top
#64946 - 03/09/03 08:46 PM Re: Audit training
c.a.r Offline
Gold Star
c.a.r
Texas, USA
Have you made your reservations for Kansas yet?

Return to Top
#64947 - 03/11/03 04:05 PM Re: Audit training
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
Quote:

I am going to the Audit Institution in Missouri in May and I signed up the get the certification. Do you know of anybody who has taken the tests? I am curious as to the complexity of them!!

Is there a link to the Audit Institution that I could get to?

Thanks!

Return to Top
#64948 - 03/11/03 09:05 PM Re: Audit training
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota

Return to Top
#64949 - 03/21/03 05:25 PM Re: Audit training
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm also considering attending in May...how many test are given during the week?

Return to Top
#64950 - 03/21/03 05:27 PM Re: Audit training
Walleye Woman Offline
Platinum Poster
Walleye Woman
I just attended Week Two last fall and took three tests. The sessions begin Sunday afternoon and run until about 6:00pm each evening. It can get a little intense.

I'd rather be fishing.

Return to Top
#64951 - 03/21/03 07:41 PM Re: Audit training
TDW Offline
Gold Star
What did you think of the tests??

Return to Top
#64952 - 03/21/03 09:43 PM Re: Audit training
Walleye Woman Offline
Platinum Poster
Walleye Woman
The tests are fairly easy if you attend the study sessions and do a little studying. Don't plan on going to the class and then bolt to the lounge afterwards, although some people can do that and still pass. Keep in mind that they allow you to retake the test once that same day after reviewing your first test answers.

I'd rather be fishing.

Return to Top
#64953 - 03/21/03 10:20 PM Re: Audit training
1111 Offline
Platinum Poster
Internal Auditing: There is no better training than going through each position yourself, e.g. new accounts, teller, bookkeeper, loan clerk, etc.

Compliance Auditing: On the job, hands-on, Kirckman manual, and if you are lucky: classroom is the way to go.

Return to Top
#64954 - 03/21/03 11:02 PM Re: Audit training
Becker Offline
Iowa
Quote:

I'm also considering attending in May...how many test are given during the week?

Six tests were given last May (for the two week course).

Return to Top
#64955 - 03/24/03 12:49 PM Re: Audit training
TDW Offline
Gold Star
Quote:

Keep in mind that they allow you to retake the test once that same day after reviewing your first test answers.

That's great!! That makes me a little less nervous!

Return to Top
#64956 - 03/25/03 03:45 PM Re: Audit training
Anonymous
Unregistered

The tests are relatively easy, as they tell you what to study and what will be on the test.

Return to Top
#64957 - 03/25/03 03:51 PM Re: Audit training
Anonymous
Unregistered

I took the two weeks together. There are 3 tests each week. If you read the material, and review what they tell you you should be able to pass. There were many days we were finished by 4, not too many long days. You also get a break about every hour. The one instructor that made us go 2 hours was scolded harshly. It is worth the effort and being away.

Return to Top
#64958 - 03/28/03 11:29 PM Re: Audit training
Anonymous
Unregistered

I went to both weeks of the ICBA training last May. There were about 27 of us that signed up to get in all done at once. It was intense but the pitcher of margaritas on the way to the airport after we'd passed the last of the certifications sure was good! Seriously, I've been able to use the training, including the stuff I didn't think I'd need.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z