Thread Options
#656050 - 12/21/06 10:22 PM Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment

Associated Press
Dec. 21, 2006 07:39 AM

HAGERSTOWN, Md. - A Maryland kindergarten student has been accused of sexual harassment and written up. The 5-year-old boy pinched a girl's buttocks.

A spokeswoman for Washington County public schools says the episode in a hallway at Lincolnshire Elementary School earlier this month fits the state Department of Education's definition of sexual harassment.

The definition in part describes sexual harassment as inappropriate physical conduct of a sexual nature directed toward others.

The spokeswoman says the reprimand is a learning opportunity for the boy even though he may not understand that what he is doing is sexual harassment.

But the boy's father says he doesn't know what to say to his son. He told The Herald-Mail of Hagerstown that the boy thinks of it as just playing and doesn't know anything about sex.

I think bureaucrats have lost their minds

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#656052 - 12/21/06 10:26 PM Re: Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment straw
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: straw
But the boy's father says he doesn't know what to say to his son.

This is the crux of the problem. The parent(s) never educated the child about (in)appropriate behavior.

Return to Top
#656055 - 12/21/06 10:28 PM Re: Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment straw
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Okay, people need to lighten up! I kind of remember elementary school, and all the kids would "play" like that. Pinching, tugging hair, looking up skirts. It's kids being curious and interactive. I don't think it has anything to do with harassment, much less sexual.

Return to Top
#656059 - 12/21/06 10:30 PM Re: Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment Bacon Boy
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
This is one of the more ridiculous things I've heard lately.
Sexual harassment and a 5 year old? Are you kidding me?

Return to Top
#656060 - 12/21/06 10:33 PM Re: Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment Becka Marr
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Becka Marr
But the boy's father says he doesn't know what to say to his son.

This is the crux of the problem. The parent(s) never educated the child about (in)appropriate behavior.
OK, assuming you're not being sarcastic, let's roll with this.

I'm supposed to tell my kids to be nice to others. I get that. Don't bite, don't hit, don't pinch, don't call names.

But now you're saying I have to say, "don't do this or that because that's sexual harrassment?" A five year old is not going to understand this.

This is just a case of the school engaging in CYA to protect itself from a lawsuit. It has nothing whatsover to do with "protecting" the kids involved.

Return to Top
#656061 - 12/21/06 10:33 PM Re: Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment MadisonCali
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
Sounds like he's off to a good start to me. :ducks for cover:

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#656064 - 12/21/06 10:34 PM Re: Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment MadisonCali
Lip Gloss Offline
Diamond Poster
Lip Gloss
Texas
OMG! He is just a kid. My son is 5 and I couldn't even imagine him bein accused of sexual harassment. Kids play different ways. Plus he is just a kid.

Return to Top
#656065 - 12/21/06 10:36 PM Re: Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment Becka Marr
Jaeger Schnitzel Offline
Gold Star
Jaeger Schnitzel
Oregon
I think that the dad needs to tell his son that it isn't okay to hit, push, or pinch people and that there are certain private places on people's bodies that he needs to be especially respectful of - people's bottoms being one of those places.

As for calling it sexual harassment, I think that's ridiculous. I don't see how you could say that the pinching was "sexual in nature" when the little boy doesn't even know what sex is. Give the little boy the appropriate punishment for being mean, or roughhousing in an inappropriate situation, or for bullying if that was the case. I just don't think it should be labeled as something which it very likely isn't.

Return to Top
#656067 - 12/21/06 10:42 PM Re: Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment Jaeger Schnitzel
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
These bureaucrats should have to watch the sex education episode of Southpark.

Return to Top
#656087 - 12/21/06 10:50 PM Re: Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment GuitarDude
PRiv#6 Offline
Power Poster
PRiv#6
Anywhere I want to be
This is just nuts. So, by that standard, if a doctor spanks a baby just after being born (normal practice), would that too be considered sexual harassment?

Return to Top
#656098 - 12/21/06 10:56 PM Re: Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment Jaeger Schnitzel
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: Jaeger Schnitzle
I think that the dad needs to tell his son that it isn't okay to hit, push, or pinch people and that there are certain private places on people's bodies that he needs to be especially respectful of - people's bottoms being one of those places.

This is what my point was getting at, Bugs. Jaeger said it better than I did. I agree the 'sexual harrassment' tag is nonsense.

Return to Top
#656108 - 12/21/06 11:10 PM Re: Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment Becka Marr
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Jaeger Schnitzle

This is what my point was getting at, Bugs. Jaeger said it better than I did. I agree the 'sexual harrassment' tag is nonsense.

OK. We're on the same page. Sorry I misunderstood.

Return to Top
#656144 - 12/22/06 03:19 AM Re: Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment Jaeger Schnitzel
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
I don't see how you could say that the pinching was "sexual in nature" when the little boy doesn't even know what sex is.

that's the crux right there imo. somebody needs to be sanctioned for bringing this case.

i say the judge should not be reelected if he doesn't sanction someone.

Return to Top
#656314 - 12/22/06 03:50 PM Re: Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
No judge Ron; just a school administrator.

Return to Top
#656406 - 12/22/06 05:36 PM Re: Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment straw
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
I just wonder where the kid learned that sort of behavior, and why he thought it was OK. I just don't accept the dad's lame excuse about not knowing what to say; I'd guess he's just having trouble explaining to the boy why something daddy does is inappropriate

Return to Top
#656411 - 12/22/06 05:40 PM Re: Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment straw
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
No judge Ron; just a school administrator.

hey, him, too.

Return to Top
#656412 - 12/22/06 05:40 PM Re: Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment Becka Marr
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Maybe Daddy pinched Mommy's butt, and she giggled and seemed to like it, and Sonny saw it, and tried to imitate Dad.

Return to Top
#656436 - 12/22/06 05:58 PM Re: Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment Becka Marr
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I just wonder where the kid learned that sort of behavior, and why he thought it was OK. I just don't accept the dad's lame excuse about not knowing what to say; I'd guess he's just having trouble explaining to the boy why something daddy does is inappropriate

And just how do you substantiate that this is something daddy does? What is your source of information for this fact?

Return to Top
#656440 - 12/22/06 05:59 PM Re: Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment RVFlyboy
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Mommy told him the other night when they were together.

Return to Top
#656444 - 12/22/06 06:01 PM Re: Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment Sinatra Fan
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Apart from being 'written up' (and obviously having his parents notified) does the article indicate what, if any, additional action will be taken against the boy? If this is the entirety of the school's response, then I think it's perfectly appropriate.

Return to Top
#656465 - 12/22/06 06:18 PM Re: Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment JacF
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: JacFSB
Apart from being 'written up' (and obviously having his parents notified) does the article indicate what, if any, additional action will be taken against the boy? If this is the entirety of the school's response, then I think it's perfectly appropriate.

Appropriate to write up a 5 year for sexual harassment? I agree with notifying the parents for slapping, but to call this sexual harassment is laughable.

Return to Top
#656473 - 12/22/06 06:21 PM Re: Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment straw
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Jim,

If you read my post, you'll notice the words "I'd guess" were included. And even if it were the situation Steve suggested, my point is still that there is no excuse for a parent not knowing how to discuss appropriate behavior with his child.

Return to Top
#656499 - 12/22/06 06:33 PM Re: Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment JacF
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Originally Posted By: JacFSB

jac, why on earth is bringing a 5 yr old up on sexual harassment charges "perfectly appropriate" or did i not understand your post?

Return to Top
#656520 - 12/22/06 06:48 PM Re: Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment Hated By Some
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
I have three grandchildren, and have raised three children. Never have I seen nor do I now see any indication that a 5 year old understands sexual advances or "misconduct". Being 'written up' is way beyond the proper handling of this. As indicated in previous posts, the father, or another responsible family member, should point out, now that the child is in school, what body parts are inappropriate to touch, and leave it at that! Sheesh!

Return to Top
#656542 - 12/22/06 07:19 PM Re: Boy, 5, accused of sexual harassment TINKerBell
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Ron,

Either you misunderstood my post, you misunderstood the original post, or both. I don't see where charges were mentioned in either.

The article, as provided (unless there's more- that's why I asked) leads me to believe that the school is handling this internally- and that's exactly what they should do!

So what exactly does it mean to be 'written up' at school? Sounds to me like a report of the incident in the student's file. Good! That will be helpful information in the event that future incidents require a more severe response from the school.

Karen,

Whether the child understands that his behavior is inappropriate or not, does the school not have the responsibility to document such behavior? I agree that the boy's parents should be the first to set him straight, but the school is powerless to enforce that. Any public school will invariably have to deal with children who simply have not been taught proper boundaries at home. In order to deal with them properly, they need to keep track of what is happening.

Truth be told, I'm convinced that incidents like this are not all that uncommon. And I'm sure most schools (at least the responsible ones) document such incidents and notify parents. The only reason we are discussing this particular incident is because someone decided to tell the press. I'm really curious as to who that someone was...

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3