BOL Conferences
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options Tools
#66051 - 03/07/03 09:25 PM Re: Friday frivolity
RGS Offline
Platinum Poster
RGS
Home of the 8 time NCAA Champ ...
I am lucky with my commute, around 4 miles and 5-8 minutes depending on traffic and lights. I go home for lunch every day. Well, actually I go home to either see my wife or let the dogs out if she's not home. The great thing about living in a small town (other than the fact that I'm not in a MA and therefore am non-HMDA ) is that it doesn't take very long to get anywhere. Besides, who needs culture, entertainment, or a variety?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#66052 - 03/07/03 09:28 PM Re: Friday frivolity
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice to see another Missouri banker. I have quite an interesting comute as well. I live in the Ozarks and travel 36 miles from Tablerock lake to Crane Missouri. Talk about windy and hilly its quite a ride when its snowy, which has been about avery other week here.

Return to Top
#66053 - 03/07/03 09:33 PM Re: Friday frivolity
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Rebekah,
I too was shocked by Ken's post, but only where he mentioned that he swerved for armadillo's. I never knew anyone who did that! Then, I realized that he was from Oklahoma. Texans just refer to armadillos as "speed bumps." Michenor put a whole chapter about them in his book, "Texas" and it's hysterical.

Return to Top
#66054 - 03/07/03 09:43 PM Re: Friday frivolity
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
We don't have armadillo up here for target practice. We have deer and the occassional moose. Believe me -- you don't want to see what happens when you hit a moose. You might as well have hit a semi...you would have a better chance of survival.

Return to Top
#66055 - 03/07/03 09:51 PM Re: Friday frivolity
juliad Offline
Gold Star
juliad
Dallas, TX
Quote:

Julia - that is exactly why we moved.

True, true. The price I pay for choosing to live where there are goats and chickens just down the road. But honestly, I'd rather be in the car for 2 hours everyday than move into the Metroplex. We're comfortably situated on the western side of the Mid-Cities. Way more affordable, culture and entertainment just a short drive east or west, and a "small town" feel in our community - almost the best of both worlds

Return to Top
#66056 - 03/07/03 09:56 PM Re: Friday frivolity
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had a deer hit my car this year, it was not pretty, they can do some damage too. $2600.00+ in damages!
My husband goes to Vermont every year and we have some picture of moose, they are very big.
WOuld not want to experience one in the road.:)

Return to Top
#66057 - 03/07/03 09:56 PM Re: Friday frivolity
JulesB Offline
Gold Star
JulesB
A Designated Tree City in OK, ...
Quote:

Quote:

78 miles each way. Little traffic. I swerve for armadillos, but will take 'target practice' if I'm in the pick-up.
One hour and ten minutes. Books-on-tape and Sean Hannity help.

Good heavens! Do you own stock in an oil company?? If not, you should - at least you might get something back for all the moola you are pouring into the tank!!

What's your price of gas up to now, anyway?

If it were me, I'd have to buy stock in David Sunflower Seeds - they are as necessary as gasoline for a long trip!

BTW, I drive about 8 miles each way. No armadillos, but the deer and ice are things to watch for. Thankfully the buffalo are about 90 miles south, in Yellowstone.

Gas here in Oklahoma can still be found for around $1.469 to $1.609 per gallon. We have the deer down here too - and occasional ice (esp. the past few weeks). The buffalo down here are on ranches - fenced up.

Return to Top
#66058 - 03/07/03 09:57 PM Re: Friday frivolity
LoisLane Offline
Diamond Poster
LoisLane
Wisteria Lane..
Quote:

Ok, so is Dallas not responding?

Plano to Walnut Hill/Central: 20 minutes on the light rail. The time is used to do some non-compliance reading!

Return to Top
#66059 - 03/07/03 10:12 PM Re: Friday frivolity
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Now it takes me 5-8 minutes depending on whether or not I stop for cappachino.

When I lived in New Orleans, I went to an interview downtown at the end of Canal Street (yes, all the way to the river). Halfway into town (& 45 minutes later) I started wondering about this job. By the time I walked into the office, I had made up my mind, I did not want to commute 1-2 hours every morning, pay a fortune for the honor of parking 8 blocks away, and eat out everyday before trekking 1-2 back at the end of the day. I started my interview by apologizing for wasting his time, but that I was definitly not interested. He was a little surprised, but we had a nice visit about New Orleans for the next 30 minutes. Ended up with a 5-10 minute commute and the choice of going home for lunch everyday.

Loved Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, and Night Gallery. Does anyone remember Weird (looonnng time ago), I was in Houston at the time.

Return to Top
#66060 - 03/07/03 10:26 PM Re: Friday frivolity
Walleye Woman Offline
Platinum Poster
Walleye Woman
Quote:

Rebekah,
I too was shocked by Ken's post, but only where he mentioned that he swerved for armadillo's. I never knew anyone who did that! Then, I realized that he was from Oklahoma. Texans just refer to armadillos as "speed bumps." Michenor put a whole chapter about them in his book, "Texas" and it's hysterical.

We refer to our speed bumps as squirrels.

I'd rather be fishing.

Return to Top
#66061 - 03/07/03 10:36 PM Re: Friday frivolity
Michelle M Offline
Gold Star
Michelle M
"Armadillo - Texas unofficial State hood ornament" - Coffee mug my Texas born husband owns

My comute - 1-2 min or 20 min depending on weather I drive or walk.

Return to Top
#66062 - 03/07/03 10:38 PM Re: Friday frivolity
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
Quote:

but will take 'target practice' if I'm in the pick-up

Since we're on a 'sensitive' streak today on BOL (read "Picture Link Violations') I believe a proper legal disclaimer is warranted here . . . Please - I am by no means condoning the discharge of firearms from a moving vehicle EXCEPT by an experienced marksman. Please take this in the context of a rural rather than urban setting. Thank you. Happy Hour has begun - Adios!

Return to Top
#66063 - 03/07/03 11:10 PM Re: Friday frivolity
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
I have about a 10 minute drive in the morning and a 20 minute drive in the evening. I would love to live away from the city on Lake Michigan about 45-60 minutes north of Milwaukee. Close enough to downtown, even closer still to the nice golf courses.

Return to Top
#66064 - 03/07/03 11:46 PM Re: Friday frivolity
cbinder63 Offline

Platinum Poster
cbinder63
Colorado
I'm 1 to 2 minutes. 2 if I take my daughter to school first.

Return to Top
#66065 - 03/08/03 05:02 AM Re: Friday frivolity
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
And here I thought my commute was short. Carl, when I work at home I don't know that I get downstairs, past the coffee pot and to my den that fast.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#66066 - 03/09/03 06:41 AM Re: Friday frivolity
cbinder63 Offline

Platinum Poster
cbinder63
Colorado
Of course it helps when my wife has the truck warmed up for me, first.

Return to Top
#66067 - 03/09/03 09:13 PM Re: Friday frivolity
c.a.r Offline
Gold Star
c.a.r
Texas, USA
I may have about 4 - 5 min drive.. if i miss the lights.

Return to Top
#66068 - 03/10/03 05:16 PM Re: Friday frivolity
Buddy the Elf Offline
Platinum Poster
Buddy the Elf
first lily pad on the right
Quote:

I'm 1 to 2 minutes. 2 if I take my daughter to school first.

Do you just slow down a little and make her jump out?

Return to Top
#66069 - 03/10/03 05:31 PM Re: Friday frivolity
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I had to laugh out loud at that one. It takes me approximately 10 minutes when I take my son to school. Only 7 when I don't. I live in Indiana and worked in Louisville, KY for 22 years. When there's an accident on one of the bridges (there are 3) or it's snowing it can take hours to go 10 miles. I'm absolutely loving this!!!

Return to Top
#66070 - 03/10/03 06:09 PM Re: Friday frivolity
yy2say Offline
Gold Star
yy2say
PA
You've heard about going "postal" ...now we have our own going "314(a)"

Return to Top
#66071 - 03/10/03 06:16 PM Re: Friday frivolity
yy2say Offline
Gold Star
yy2say
PA
Quote:

I wonder who out there has the longest comute?

I work in Atlanta ...need I say more? There was a toxic waste spill on Friday. My normal 1 hour trek took me almost 4 hours ...Yikes!

Return to Top
#66072 - 03/10/03 06:17 PM Re: Friday frivolity
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I think I'll be going 314(a) soon...

Return to Top
#66073 - 03/10/03 06:22 PM Re: Friday frivolity
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
My fiance lives 2 hours from Atlanta (Augusta). He has been in Atlanta during rush hour and says he'd never work there.

Return to Top
#66074 - 03/10/03 08:27 PM Re: Friday frivolity
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
I live 2 miles away, or 6 minutes by car, 25 minutes by bus (not counting waiting for the bus to come time). I'm suprised every one lives close by to their job. I guess as a "city girl" I thought unless you lived in the big city, it was a hike to the job. I live in the "bedroom" borough so mostly everyone lives "here" but works "there".

Return to Top
#66075 - 03/12/03 01:42 AM Re: Friday frivolity
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Quote:

Quote:

I wonder who out there has the longest comute?

I work in Atlanta ...need I say more? There was a toxic waste spill on Friday. My normal 1 hour trek took me almost 4 hours ...Yikes!

I used to have this little rule...three hours in the car one way and I would turn around and go home. A couple of times this turn around was within a mile of the office, but a girl has to have standards!

I commuted over 60 miles every day for 12 years. The worst commute I had was a 48 mile drive (40 mins to an hour) to the commuter bus, half an hour on the bus, an hour on the ferry, another bus for 15 mins...and then back home 8 hours later. Then there was the commute to Mount Vernon from Quilcene WA. 2 and a half hours each way, with an average of about 30% of the days not resulting in the actual event of an "arrival" at home at the end of the day. For one year I did this...pretty much living at a B&B in Coopeville WA. (Stay at the Rose House if you're in town)

I moved to the remote land of Alaska...and have a 5 min commute when traffic really sucks...or I'm following a moose. People think this place is remote..they need to visit podunk Washington! The moose wandering down main street was a bit of a change though!

(PS: I don't break for racoons when traveling in the states...I'll be in Oregon next week...if you have a mask on and you're under a foot tall..beware!)

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4