Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#66345 - 03/08/03 04:29 AM COPA Unconstitutional
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
This is COPA, not COPPA. I thought I'd post this in an effort to help folks avoid confusion.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#66346 - 03/08/03 01:48 PM Re: COPA Unconstitutional
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
We've discussed this before, but this is a good reminder, Andy. It's a perfect illustration of the importance of being precise and paying attention to details.

Both of these laws were passed in the same omnibus package of legislation, so you can easily mistake COPA (pronounced with a long 'o', like in 'cold') for COPPA (pronounced with an 'ah', like in 'Congress').

The names are confusing, too. COPA's full name is "Child Online Protection Act", while COPPA is the "Children's Online Privacy Protection Act." It's very easy to pick up pieces of the names and mistake one for the other.

COPA was struck down because it prohibits speech. COPPA will survive because it simply requires disclosure and opt-in--like ESIGN and other familiar laws.

Return to Top
#66347 - 03/09/03 01:21 AM Re: COPA Unconstitutional
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I recall however long ago it was that you went on the quest to figure out that difference for us, Richard. It caused so much confusion. With this in the press again, I wanted to ensure we didn't have part II.

While COPA is being struck down, COPPA is still garnering fines. .
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z