Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#663663 - 01/09/07 09:42 PM Re: Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars Imagine
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
And what is wrong with that? I saw the story too. All three parties involved did everything possible to close off every nook and cranny. Smoke still got through to both neighboring townhomes. Why should both neighbors have to suffer just because these two decide to smoke 8 packs a day between the both of them?

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#663675 - 01/09/07 09:54 PM Re: Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars *BUSTER*
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
Originally Posted By: Maximus
And what is wrong with that? I saw the story too. All three parties involved did everything possible to close off every nook and cranny. Smoke still got through to both neighboring townhomes. Why should both neighbors have to suffer just because these two decide to smoke 8 packs a day between the both of them?

I agree Max, the neighbors did everything they could before they took it to the next level. A non-smoker shouldn't have to deal with the smoke of smokers, especially serious chain smokers like these.

Return to Top
#663688 - 01/09/07 10:05 PM Re: Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars Sing A Little
Jaeger Schnitzel Offline
Gold Star
Jaeger Schnitzel
Oregon
Think of it this way, if your neighbors were spooning low levels of toxins into their childrens breakfast cereal every morning, would you still say that the authorities had no right to step in and say they couldn't do that? And if the neighbor of your townhouse has a thing for keeping pet skunks in their house, and the stink seeped into their neighbors apartments, would you still think it was ridiculous for a judge to step in and tell them they had to get rid of their skunks?

I'm fine with people smoking if that's something they want to do to themselves, but just as soon as it starts affecting other people, I'll support actions to make them stop.

Return to Top
#663694 - 01/09/07 10:14 PM Re: Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars Jaeger Schnitzel
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
Exactly, one person's freedoms end when they impede on the freedoms of another. Theese people all did everything possible to try and fix the situation, spray foam every crack, extra insulation, air freshners and air purifiers bought by the smoking couple. They refused to stop smoking, so the nieghbors took them to court argueing that the smoke is a public nuisence to them and everyone else. The judge agreed with the plaintiffs. If they don't want to stop smoking, the least they can do is go outside so it won't bother the nieghbors.

But 8 packs a day, they must be rolling in dough to afford that much cancer...

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#663697 - 01/09/07 10:18 PM Re: Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars Imagine
CubDave Offline
Diamond Poster
I was just in Bangor, and as a smoker, let me tell you, I was taken by surprise. No smoking anywhere. I asked the receptionist at the bank I was visiting where I should go smoke, and they said there was no smoking on the grounds, so I walked across the highway. Couldn't even smoke at the bar.

Hopefully, this won't be an issue anymore since I just started Chantix today (they say to keep smoking during week 1, so I am just following instructions).

Return to Top
#663700 - 01/09/07 10:23 PM Re: Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars Imagine
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Originally Posted By: NeophytePolitico
Quote:
BANGOR, Maine (AP) -- The Bangor City Council approved a measure Monday that prohibits people from smoking in vehicles when children are present.
When the law goes into effect next week, Bangor will become the first municipality in Maine to have such a law. Similar statewide measures have been adopted in Arkansas and Louisiana and are under consideration in several other states.

People who smoke with children present in the confined space of a car or truck might as well be deliberately trying to kill those children, said City Councilor Patricia Blanchette, who is a smoker.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/01/09/D8MHRQEO1.html

What the hell!?!?! Now we're legislating good parenting?

It's a law to have a baby in a child seat what's the difference? The law is to protect those who can't protect themselves. I'm all for it. I hope it becomes a national law.

Return to Top
#663704 - 01/09/07 10:35 PM Re: Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars D2Xs
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: D2Xs
I hope it becomes a national law.

Just as the framers intended!

Return to Top
#663755 - 01/09/07 11:41 PM Re: Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars *BUSTER*
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
Exactly, one person's freedoms end when they impede on the freedoms of another.

Well said Max.

As a non-smoker I don't have a problem with smokers...until their smoking (cigarette butts, smoke, etc.) is pushed upon me. Just have some courtesy for the people around you and these lawsuits and this legislation won't be necessary.

Return to Top
#663789 - 01/10/07 01:44 AM Re: Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars Retired DQ
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
Originally Posted By: Devil Queen
Well, I guess I am just curious about the millions of kids who grew up with parents (50s, 60s, 70s) who smoked and are in fine health, doesn't that defy the whole second hand smoke thing?

Well not to be the contradictory poster, but in Sept I was hospitalized with heart problems. The doctors kept asking about my smoking, which I don't do, but did indulge a little, and I stress little, in my younger years. I was born in the 50's and let them know that I "smoked" from the day I came home from the hospital. My dad was a huge smoker. Of course I can't remember the really early years, but from Kindergarten on I remember sitting at the dining room table every morning and him smoking. I even remember smoking one morning while we were having our cofee, yes, I drank coffee each morning before school. My mom totally freaked when she saw me smoking with him. My dad wasn't young and stupid, just uninformed, he was about 47 at the time, but they didn't know about the health hazzards back then. He died 10 years ago and I have one piece of furniture from the house and when I open it, I can still smell the smoke. And he didn't die of lung cancer or heart disease. Smoking played no part in his death, and ironically he was from Maine.

Return to Top
#663796 - 01/10/07 02:29 AM Re: Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars *BUSTER*
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine

because it is my home...my private dwelling...let me do what I want in it...as long as it doesn't break the law...

Return to Top
#663825 - 01/10/07 01:08 PM Re: Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars Imagine
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia

because it is my home...my private dwelling...let me do what I want in it...as long as it doesn't break the law...

That MAY have some validity if it were a private standalone home. But as a townhouse, it's not completely yours. There are common walls that are jointly owned with the neighbors. As such, you are going to have to deal with neighbor issues that may arise when what you do in your home affects those in the adjoining homes. They also own their home, their private dwelling. If what they want to do is to breath smoke free air (which I'm pretty sure doesn't break any laws), why shouldn't they be permitted to do so.

Return to Top
#663834 - 01/10/07 01:50 PM Re: Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars RVFlyboy
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: CessnaFlyboy (was MagicBanker)

That MAY have some validity if it were a private standalone home. But as a townhouse, it's not completely yours. There are common walls that are jointly owned with the neighbors. As such, you are going to have to deal with neighbor issues that may arise when what you do in your home affects those in the adjoining homes. They also own their home, their private dwelling. If what they want to do is to breath smoke free air (which I'm pretty sure doesn't break any laws), why shouldn't they be permitted to do so.

I guess I'm just a social libertarian...it is my life...and if I want to smoke...I will...

But I'm the kind of person who is considerate of others...so no smoking in a car if non smokers don't want me to...I will consider my neighbors...etc.

Return to Top
#663839 - 01/10/07 01:59 PM Re: Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars Imagine
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Having lived in a townhouse, there are plenty of annoying things a neighbor can do and you have no legal recourse for most of them.

Return to Top
#663853 - 01/10/07 02:17 PM Re: Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars MichelleDawn
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
That is quite true, Sweetpeas. I've lived in a townhouse (renting) with some of the worst neighbors. Noise was major issue as was smoking. My entire home smelled like cigarettes and I don't smoke. I called the police about the noise - there are laws about that. The drunk by my front door every day making rude comments was not illegal - I could only complain to the manager. It was a relief to move.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#663879 - 01/10/07 02:42 PM Re: Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars RVFlyboy
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: CessnaFlyboy (was MagicBanker)
That MAY have some validity if it were a private standalone home. But as a townhouse, it's not completely yours. There are common walls that are jointly owned with the neighbors.

Then it should have been addressed by the association. Maybe it was, and the judge was simply enforcing contract law. If so, I can't say that I have a problem with that.

Return to Top
#663891 - 01/10/07 02:52 PM Re: Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars waldensouth
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Originally Posted By: waldensouth
That is quite true, Sweetpeas. I've lived in a townhouse (renting) with some of the worst neighbors. Noise was major issue as was smoking. My entire home smelled like cigarettes and I don't smoke. I called the police about the noise - there are laws about that. The drunk by my front door every day making rude comments was not illegal - I could only complain to the manager. It was a relief to move.

I had some of the same issues (I rented, too) and was thrilled to move. Townhouses are tight living arrangements.

Return to Top
#663899 - 01/10/07 03:12 PM Re: Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars Imagine
A_G Offline
10K Club

So to play a little bit of devil's advocate here - if the city where the condo was located passed a similar law as Bangor did then people should not be allowed to do it - because then it would break the law? I'm a little confused by your logic...I think you are against such a law, but if it was a law then you agree with not being able to do it because then it would break the law?

Also, I have said before this is for sure a slippery slope, but someone did bring up the point of loud music. Usually there are noise ordinance laws after a certain time because the music affects other people (presumably trying to sleep). So how is limiting smoking when if affects other people any different? The noise law is telling you that you can't play loud music after 9pm in your own home, the smoking law says you can't smoke with a child in your own car...

(Also, I have absolutly nothing against people who smoke. I actually enjoy it when out drinking - so nothing is a personal attack on smokers from me.)

Return to Top
#663908 - 01/10/07 03:20 PM Re: Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars A_G
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Let me tell you ... noise ordinances don't mean much. I called the cops several times about the loud music next door when I rented my townhouse and they didn't do anything but tell me to get over it. Similarly, the landlord didn't want to deal with it. The neighbors also beat the hell out of each other (which I could hear vividly) and they cops didn't want anything to do with that, either.

Return to Top
#663912 - 01/10/07 03:23 PM Re: Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars MichelleDawn
A_G Offline
10K Club
Sound like you had a REALLY bad townhose experience, SP.

Return to Top
#663914 - 01/10/07 03:26 PM Re: Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars A_G
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Originally Posted By: AuditGuy
Sound like you had a REALLY bad townhose experience, SP.

Death threats, destruction of property and the whole she-bang. I'm in a duplex now and it's wonderful. The garages are in the middle so I don't hear anything unless my neighbor is outside. Bliss.

Return to Top
#663918 - 01/10/07 03:29 PM Re: Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars MichelleDawn
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Sweetpea...I had the same problem in my complex in DC...not so much with the loud music...but the fighting (verbal and physical), destruction of property, uncleanliness, and a "distinct" odor...

was fine for a 12 month stay to finish off college, but I ain't living there...

Return to Top
#663966 - 01/10/07 03:56 PM Re: Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars Imagine
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
What am I supposed to dowhen my neighbor cooks and the smells come through the walls. I find it offensive, should she dine out?

Return to Top
#663975 - 01/10/07 04:00 PM Re: Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars Retired DQ
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
Food smells would be a little different I would think. It's not like they had 8 limburger cheese wheels a day habit.

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#664016 - 01/10/07 04:48 PM Re: Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars *BUSTER*
Life of Riley Offline
Gold Star
In a pineapple under the sea
What if it were a neighbor with pets and I am allergic? Don't I have the right to enjoy the parks, beaches, etc. without fear of a major asthma attack because someone is walking their dog in the park? Where is the limit?

Return to Top
#664094 - 01/10/07 05:47 PM Re: Bangor Makes It Illegal to Smoke in Cars Life of Riley
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Actually, I am allergic to my neighbor, maybe I can force her to move.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3