Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#541352 - 05/02/06 01:20 PM Military ID question
Still Here Offline
Midwest
We are considering adding military ID's as acceptable primary ID's for CIP. Does anyone know where I can find out what it takes to get a military ID and how reliable they are?

Thanks

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#541353 - 05/02/06 01:33 PM Re: Military ID question
Pinkie CRCM Offline
Gold Star
KY
I'm not an expert, but I remember from when I was in the Navy....

Military ID's are issued to active/inactive/reservist or family of said person. Requirements are birth certificate, ssn and another photo ID. High school diplomas are accepted too.

They should have an issue and expiration date, dob and picture.

Return to Top
#541354 - 05/02/06 01:59 PM Re: Military ID question
Still Here Offline
Midwest
Thanks, Pinkie. That helps.

Return to Top
#541355 - 05/02/06 09:32 PM Re: Military ID question
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
On my son's military ID, he is active duty Air Force, he also has a barcode similar to a upc barcode.

Return to Top
#541356 - 05/03/06 04:49 AM Re: Military ID question
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
As a former dependant, servicemember and my parents and in-laws are retired. They have strict controls over issuance. I don't have written guidelines but I want to say marriage certificates and birth certificates are required. Also, I haven't heard of fake military IDs like driver licenses. That doesn't mean they don't happen, but I think it is rare.

This is my experience anyway.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#663707 - 01/09/07 10:43 PM Re: Military ID question Andy_Z
mobdiaz Offline
Are there any limitations on the use of the military IDs?

For example, a Voter's ID is a government issued ID that we can accept for CIP, however, we only use it as a secondary ID because the local voting law states that it may only be used for voting purposes and may not be requested for presentation under any other circumstances.

Can we request and accept a military ID for purposes other than military related services?

That's just if anyone knows...

Thanks!!

Return to Top
#663874 - 01/10/07 02:40 PM Re: Military ID question mobdiaz
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
I would think you would do so without any problems - military ID's meet all the requirements for accepting an ID. To wit:
- Identification number, issued by a governmental body
- Signature of the individual
- Photo of the individual
- Issuing agency is clearly identified
- Expiration - validity is determined for you.
Many of our military personal do not have current state drivers licenses because of recent deployments and/or transfers to bases in multiple states - these ID's serve to identify them, when necessary, just as your drivers license and mine do for us.
Please urge your staff to not make an undue hardship for these men and women in our armed forces.

Also, the ID Checking Guide, avaible in the BOL store, contains samples of military IDs if your staff are unfamilar with them.

All 3 of the banks that I've worked for have accepted military IDs as a form of primary ID.

Return to Top
#664191 - 01/10/07 07:02 PM Re: Military ID question RBanker
mobdiaz Offline
I agree with your comments. We definitely do not want to make anything more difficult for servicemen and women.

We want to accept it as a primary ID, but if the military says that it is only an official identification for purposes of receiving military benefits, then we would put it as a secondary ID and request another document in addition. This is what happened with the voter IDs. Our local regulator warned us that due to the limited purpose of the voter ID we should not accept it as a primary ID, but rather as a secondary ID. Local law states that the ID is considered official soley for voting purposes.

Return to Top
#664346 - 01/10/07 09:01 PM Re: Military ID question mobdiaz
NewTooBSA Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
We have Military IDs and Dependent Military IDs as a primary form of identification and there have been no problems during any of our audits for the past 4 years.

With it being a government issued identification, it meets all of the requirements for CIP and as Andy said, you never hear of them being forged. Sounds like they are safer than a drivers license in that aspect.

Return to Top
#664508 - 01/10/07 11:56 PM Re: Military ID question NewTooBSA
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I haven't had to keep up with the state laws and this may have changed with the web and many states capabilities of renewing a driver's license with a web site. But when I was an MP there were states where, when stationed outside of that state, didn't actually expire so long as the person was on active duty. So while it said it was expired, it wasn't. Again, I don't know if that is still the law in many states or not.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z