Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#66449 - 03/10/03 05:55 PM Safe Deposit Boxes
HR Banker Offline
Diamond Poster
I'm curious on normal procedures when a safe deposit box is closed and both customer keys are returned. What I'm wondering is if it is a usual practice to rent that box with the same keys that were turned in or is it rekeyed before renting it again?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#66450 - 03/10/03 06:11 PM Re: Safe Deposit Boxes
I Wear Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
I Wear Many Hats
the beautiful state of ME
I think it greatly depends on bank policy. We do not rekey boxes when both keys are returned - primarily because of the time it would take to get someone here to rekey the boxes and the expense involved in doing so. I know, however, in many banks, that the standard policy is to rekey each time a box is surrendered.

Opinions are mine and mine alone.

Return to Top
#66451 - 03/10/03 07:07 PM Re: Safe Deposit Boxes
Moo Offline
New Poster
Moo
South East Kentucky
Our bank policy does not require us to rekey boxes either, when both keys are returned. There would be too much time and expense used.

Return to Top
#66452 - 03/10/03 07:26 PM Re: Safe Deposit Boxes
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
I think you'd have to evaluate the risk vs. cost. What are the chances of a person coming in with a key to a re-rented box that had been closed and not re-keyed and being granted access? If all procedures have been followed in verifying identity, I would think the risk would be minimal.

Return to Top
#66453 - 03/10/03 07:51 PM Re: Safe Deposit Boxes
mmason Offline
Gold Star
New England
We wait until we have a few empty boxes and then switch the locks ourselves. That way we save the expense of a locksmith but when the box is rented again it has different keys.

Return to Top
#66454 - 03/10/03 08:29 PM Re: Safe Deposit Boxes
Bobbie Offline
New Poster
Bobbie
Tennessee
We would actually use the same keys until the locks are scheduled to be rotated at our next drilling schedule, which is once a year.

Return to Top