Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#665953 - 01/12/07 09:34 PM Record Retention for Safe Deposit Boxes
lbcollins Offline
New Poster
Michigan
I am trying to update our record retention policy. My reference guide indicates that safe box access slips are required to be retained for 11 years after closing the box. Is this correct, and if so, how do you store them for destruction?
THANKS

Return to Top
#666149 - 01/15/07 03:00 PM Re: Record Retention for Safe Deposit Boxes lbcollins
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
Yes, 11 years is correct. In Iowa, most things relating to a "contract" have an 11 year retention period.

We treat them like signature cards and store them either onsite or offsite and pull them when closed to start the retention process.

We are in the process of implementing imaging which means that we won't have to keep the hard copies and can simply go into the system to set the retention date.

Return to Top
#666664 - 01/16/07 06:59 PM Re: Record Retention for Safe Deposit Boxes Rubaiyat
lbcollins Offline
New Poster
Michigan
Thank you for your response. How are you imaging? In speaking with our IT, it seems that one day's work from the three states we operate in is imaged together, which, I was told, means that all records have to be kept the same length of time. It seems like a very awkward system to me.

Return to Top
#666965 - 01/16/07 11:14 PM Re: Record Retention for Safe Deposit Boxes lbcollins
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
In our imaging system, we image the document without a retention date. Then when it closes we can go into the imaged document and set the retention date for an 11 year period.

Return to Top