Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#666727 - 01/16/07 07:33 PM The Grand Canyon and the Creationists
steven1950 Offline
Diamond Poster
steven1950
San Francisco
The National Park Service employees at the Grand Canyon are not allowed to tell visitors how old the Grand Canyon is for fear of alienating creationists. The administration is still requiring that a book be sold in the Grand Canyon gift shop that states the Grand Canyon was formed during Noah's great flood despite scientific evidence to the contrary.

More proof that bush and his cronies are morons.

http://www.peer.org/news/news_id.php?row_id=801

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#666732 - 01/16/07 07:37 PM Re: The Grand Canyon and the Creationists steven1950
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
That's funny, the rangers didn't have a problem answering the question for me when I was there last year. We even bought some books on the history of the Grand Canyon...that Noah wasn't in them. LOL

Side note, everyone should make it a point to visit the Grand Canyon...it's amazing to see in person.

Return to Top
#666797 - 01/16/07 08:23 PM Re: The Grand Canyon and the Creationists steven1950
buggs Offline
Power Poster
If this is true, it's about as stupid as suspending a kindergartener for sexual harassment.

Return to Top
#666802 - 01/16/07 08:28 PM Re: The Grand Canyon and the Creationists buggs
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
ROFL I agree with you Woodsy. Any place you go in the Grand Canyon talks about the errosion and the age of each rock level, and the fossils discovered there.

Return to Top
#666809 - 01/16/07 08:34 PM Re: The Grand Canyon and the Creationists Sing A Little
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Don't misunderstand, Sing. I'm not saying creationist theory is wrong, I'm saying the practice of supressing scientific theory in favor of creationist theory is wrong. They should be promoted side-by-side and let the best theory prevail. People are not as stupid as the PC police (on both sides of the issue) presume.

Return to Top
#666816 - 01/16/07 08:37 PM Re: The Grand Canyon and the Creationists buggs
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
who would win a fight, woodsy: you or mcgruff the crime dog?

Return to Top
#666840 - 01/16/07 08:56 PM Re: The Grand Canyon and the Creationists buggs
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
I totally agree with you Woodsy. People just be allowed to make up their own minds. I just didn't see any information on the creationsist point of view while I was at the Grand Canyon.

Ron ROFL!

Return to Top
#666845 - 01/16/07 09:01 PM Re: The Grand Canyon and the Creationists Sing A Little
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
assuming woodsy wins, how does he fair in his next match against mr. yuck?

Return to Top
#666854 - 01/16/07 09:11 PM Re: The Grand Canyon and the Creationists Hated By Some
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Ron Mexico
assuming woodsy wins, how does he fair in his next match against mr. yuck?

You’re jumping the gun in assuming Woodsy wins.

My first thought was that McGruff would be fat and slow. However, most police departments around here encourage their officers to workout, even providing them with a gym.

Now, if McGruff also has these resources available and has kept in shape, he has a fighting chance.

Sure, Woodsy has the advantage of being able to almost completely turn his head around and see an attack coming, but my belief is that McGruff has toughened over the years. His weight advantage and ability to take a shot or two should help him prevail over claws and a beak.

I’m willing to wager that McGruff wins (but then I also took the Chargers this weekend and look how that turned out).

Return to Top
#666955 - 01/16/07 11:07 PM Re: The Grand Canyon and the Creationists Peepers
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Hey guys, Ol' Woodsy ain't that slim and trim his own self. But I do have a couple of major advantages over McGruff. (1) I can see pretty good in the dark. (2) I can fly. I can just wait until McGruff goes outside some night to answer the call of nature and I'll fly over and drop a big rock on his head. He'll think twice about leaving the office after experiencing that headache.

But I'd never do that to McGruff. We're good friends. He takes a bite out of crime, and that includes polluters. So, you see, we're actually on the same side.

Return to Top
#667365 - 01/17/07 07:24 PM Re: The Grand Canyon and the Creationists buggs
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: Woodsy Owl
They should be promoted side-by-side and let the best theory prevail.

Hmmm...you might appreciate Education in Federal Way

Return to Top
#667411 - 01/17/07 08:01 PM Re: The Grand Canyon and the Creationists Becka Marr
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Becka, that's too cute!

Return to Top
#667623 - 01/17/07 11:07 PM Re: The Grand Canyon and the Creationists Bacon Boy
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Originally Posted By: Bacon Boy
Becka, that's too cute!

I agree, cute, but kinda biased in it's own way, don't you think?

Return to Top
#667854 - 01/18/07 04:01 PM Re: The Grand Canyon and the Creationists homestar
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
I don't see a bias, Homestar; but I understand why it might appear that way.

The artist isn't suggesting that either Science or Religion is more/less important than the other. He is simply showing that it is ridiculous to think they contribute to the human experience in the same way. It's comparing the proverbial apples & oranges.

If you want to give people the opportunity to consider alternate theories, there are differing scientific opinions that can be compared to each other; and there are diverse religious myths that can be studied.

Return to Top
#668010 - 01/18/07 05:32 PM Re: The Grand Canyon and the Creationists Becka Marr
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
A fascinating book is "The Science of God." The author was raised Jewish, is now agnostic, and I think is a scientist. The concept of the book is that the Bible and science do not have to be mutually-exclusive, but rather, by using some out-of-the box thinking, they can be reconciled. Among the topics covered are the origin of the universe and that of man. It's been awhile since I read the book, but the theory he uses to explain the six days of creation is that it is six "days" as perceived by a being outside the universe (i.e., God).

All theory, but fascinating if read with an open mind.

Return to Top
#668036 - 01/18/07 05:55 PM Re: The Grand Canyon and the Creationists The Incredible ComplyGuy
steven1950 Offline
Diamond Poster
steven1950
San Francisco
I think we're all missing the point on what's happending at the Grand Canyon. National Park Service employees, for political reasons, are not allowed to discuss the age of the canyon in scientific (geological) terms for fear of alienating the creationists who might be within earshot. Rather, the bookstore is evidently being required to stock a book that says the Grand Canyon was formed by Noah's flood and is less than six thousand years old.

This is even less than putting religous and scientific information together. Rather, the US Park Service, which is an agency of the Department of the Interior and reports up to the White House, has rejected scientific evidence of the age of the Grand Canyon and is actively promoting its religous age.

Anyone who agrees that this is evidence of good public policy is a fool.

Return to Top
#668041 - 01/18/07 06:07 PM Re: The Grand Canyon and the Creationists steven1950
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Never mind that is not true.

Return to Top
#668068 - 01/18/07 06:28 PM Re: The Grand Canyon and the Creationists Blade Scrapper
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
You can sign a petition, if you feel strongly opposed to what's occuring. It's a small step, but you're not alone in your convictions:
http://www.demaction.org/dia/organizatio...-a-petition.dwt

Return to Top
#668080 - 01/18/07 06:40 PM Re: The Grand Canyon and the Creationists Bacon Boy
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
I signed. It's a small step, but the only one in my power to take.

Return to Top
#668082 - 01/18/07 06:41 PM Re: The Grand Canyon and the Creationists Bacon Boy
Maxx Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
This is ridiculous. Creationist can believe what they want about when the Grand Canyon was formed and how, others can follow science. What would be wrong with the park guides having points for both sides of the arguement? This just confirms that we as a people have gotten out of control about offending each other.

Return to Top
#668105 - 01/18/07 06:53 PM Re: The Grand Canyon and the Creationists Maxx
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
BJ..I'm offended.

Return to Top
#668107 - 01/18/07 06:55 PM Re: The Grand Canyon and the Creationists Miscuit
Maxx Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
I knew you would be Ms. B.

Return to Top
#668120 - 01/18/07 07:03 PM Re: The Grand Canyon and the Creationists Maxx
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Oh you two -- kiss and make up...

Return to Top
#668129 - 01/18/07 07:07 PM Re: The Grand Canyon and the Creationists The Incredible ComplyGuy
Maxx Offline
Diamond Poster
USA

Return to Top
#668136 - 01/18/07 07:10 PM Re: The Grand Canyon and the Creationists steven1950
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: steven1950
Anyone who agrees that this is evidence of good public policy is a fool.

That's quite a statement, Steve. I say anyone who is so convinced of their personal rightness on this issue is an even bigger fool.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2