Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#666848 - 01/16/07 09:04 PM Bush Chides Iraq Over Hussein Execution
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Well...kudos to you President Bush...this might be the first time you and I agree on something since right after 9/11/01...

Quote:
"The message is that it's a confusing message," the president said. "It basically says to people, `Look, you conducted a trial and gave Saddam justice that he didn't give to others. But then, when it came to execute him, it looked like it was kind of a revenge killing.' And it sent a mixed signal to the American people and the people around the world."

"And it just goes to show that this is a government that has still got some maturation to do," Bush said in the interview, to be telecast Tuesday evening on PBS' "NewsHour With Jim Lehrer."

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/01/16/D8MMJGQ81.html

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#666855 - 01/16/07 09:11 PM Re: Bush Chides Iraq Over Hussein Execution Imagine
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
how is he such an idiot? what is confusing about saddam being the source of "law" before and when the rule of law is actually used instead, it is sending mixed signals? how is it revenge killing? it was an execution based on the law. from society's perspective (the one who create the rule of law) "revenge" or "punishment" is the purpose of executing him. there is no mixed signal from where i sit: the law provided justice, something he never did when he was in power. disagree with the ultimate outcome, but the process was necessary and warranted.

Return to Top
#666860 - 01/16/07 09:15 PM Re: Bush Chides Iraq Over Hussein Execution Hated By Some
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
The trial appeared just...but the rushed manner of the execution, as well as how it was carried out did give off the appearance of a revenge killing...and they "accidentally" beheaded Hussein's half-brother the other day...

Return to Top
#666864 - 01/16/07 09:18 PM Re: Bush Chides Iraq Over Hussein Execution Imagine
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Of course there were also all the Iraqis that were interviewed who specifically said they got revenge on Sadaam...........

Return to Top
#666872 - 01/16/07 09:28 PM Re: Bush Chides Iraq Over Hussein Execution Imagine
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: NeophytePolitico
The trial appeared just...but the rushed manner of the execution, ...

I still don't get what you mean by 'rushed' manner. It was known, and reported, that the sentence would be carried out within 30 days if the appeal was denied. No mystery, no surprise...

Return to Top
#666874 - 01/16/07 09:32 PM Re: Bush Chides Iraq Over Hussein Execution Hrothgar Geiger
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
perhaps the speed in which it was carried out isn't the primary concern...but HOW it was carried...so, I retract my comment about the rushed manner...

Return to Top
#666878 - 01/16/07 09:35 PM Re: Bush Chides Iraq Over Hussein Execution Imagine
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Well, sure it lacked the romantic charm of a horse and a tall cottonwood tree,....

Return to Top
#666887 - 01/16/07 09:42 PM Re: Bush Chides Iraq Over Hussein Execution Hrothgar Geiger
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
See, now if they would have just rehearsed the executions with Bush and Cheney's, then Sadaam's could have been much more dignified.

Return to Top
#666889 - 01/16/07 09:45 PM Re: Bush Chides Iraq Over Hussein Execution The Incredible ComplyGuy
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
You're not in enough trouble for cracks like that?

Return to Top
#666898 - 01/16/07 09:59 PM Re: Bush Chides Iraq Over Hussein Execution Hrothgar Geiger
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
seriously, im not sure what your qualm is, frank, other than you are anti-DP (just as i am though i think our logic differes).

SP, like i said, 'revenge' IS a part of rationale for rule of law. i never implied that revenge wasn't or couldnt be par tof rule of law.

Return to Top
#666909 - 01/16/07 10:10 PM Re: Bush Chides Iraq Over Hussein Execution Hrothgar Geiger
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Originally Posted By: AML-Barbarian
You're not in enough trouble for cracks like that?

Trouble is my middle name...

Return to Top
#666917 - 01/16/07 10:16 PM Re: Bush Chides Iraq Over Hussein Execution The Incredible ComplyGuy
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
You're talking about a seriously hated man here...they were probably so excited that he was going to be executed that they didn't know what to do, so they just did it. Where people emotional, of course, this man tortured a whole country.

Return to Top
#666930 - 01/16/07 10:33 PM Re: Bush Chides Iraq Over Hussein Execution Sing A Little
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
I think the thing that's bothering some Americans is that when we find a person guilty by the death penalty, it never happens. In these peoples case, it has happened extremely quick, althouth I believe it had to happen quickly given the possibilty of someone helping them escape. And again that they committed atrocities, I find hanging horrific, especially with the BIL that was decapitated. On the other hand, I find what they (the accused) did horrific. I've said many times that I live in a city with a huge muslim community, the biggest in the US and now we have Shi'ia businesses being destroyed. The latest question by the Shi'ia is, is it local non-muslims or Sunnis getting revenge for the Shi'ias celebrations? The local Shi'ias don't want to believe that they can't live here peaceably and seem to believe that it isn't a sunni retaliation. Seems that they are hoping that it is Christian-Americans that are stirring up the hate.

Return to Top
#666933 - 01/16/07 10:37 PM Re: Bush Chides Iraq Over Hussein Execution Hated By Some
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: Ron Mexico
seriously, im not sure what your qualm is, frank, other than you are anti-DP (just as i am though i think our logic differes).

SP, like i said, 'revenge' IS a part of rationale for rule of law. i never implied that revenge wasn't or couldnt be par tof rule of law.

My qualm is, is that if the President, who was all for bringing Saddam to justice, can admit that the Iraqi government is at fault...why do so many of us "civilized" people find nothing wrong the barbaric nature of how the execution was carried out.

Return to Top
#666990 - 01/17/07 12:02 AM Re: Bush Chides Iraq Over Hussein Execution Imagine
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
how can you possibly try to make W as an example to prove any point based on logic? but anyway...

i try not to make relativist judgments about methods and rationale but if you want to know why "civilized" people feel this way, the "barbaric" way saddam and his BIL were killed was far less atrocious than what they did. you will see arguments in exactly the same vein when you see domestic DP debates.

in MY society, there should be no DP. their's needs it perhaps for their own reasons and in this example, that reason is to prove that the rule of law is the basis for their new society.

Return to Top