Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 34 of 38 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
Thread Options
#663455 - 01/09/07 06:12 PM Re: Weight Watchers Bailey.
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
Happy Kathy, I just started trying to lose weight through eating better and had to give up my many Mt Dew a day. After a week, I have had maybe 2 dews and I feel so much better, although I think I need additional sugar at this point, but doing without the caffeine has been great. I like Diet Squirt for pop, but really haven't even been able to finish one of those since I started. I don't intend to give up dew entirely, but to cut back as much as possible and without it in the house I have not felt like I needed to have it.

I also started entering what I eat on Myfooddiary.com. It keeps track of everything and has been quite an eye opener.

Return to Top
#663477 - 01/09/07 06:29 PM Re: Weight Watchers Countess Kiwi
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I hope I had my 'wake up call' this morning. I couldn't fit into a suit my husband bought me for Christmas. When I tried it on 2 weeks ago I was on steroids and so sick I couldn't eat. Then once I went off of the steroids I went back to my old eating habits and picked up every pound lost (8), plus an additional 2. That did it for me. I am now determined to lose 15-20 pounds and get to where I feel better about myself. Not eating chocolate is going to be the toughest for me, but once I stop (and I've done it before), after about a week or two I don't have the same cravings or 'need-to-eat-it-now' feelings.

Myfooddiary.com sounds interesting. I may have to check it out. Thanks Countess!
Last edited by Skittles; 01/09/07 06:36 PM.

Return to Top
#663512 - 01/09/07 07:48 PM Re: Weight Watchers Skittles
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
You may also want to look at http://www.fitday.com . I used this to track and chart my weight loss, but they have really neat tools for keeping track of calories and so forth.

I have never had an addiction to soda of any kind so this was never a problem for me. I stay away from all sodas including diet. I just know there are lots of nasty things in those drinks that I don't want or need (sodium, artificial colors, tons of sweeteners). I did start to drink the Crystal Light packets in my bottled water occasionally because my doctor wanted to see me have more citric acid.

I had posted a recipe for some smoothies a while back and have really been enjoying them. I started with strawberry and have since used pineapple and peach and they are all really good!

In a blender I combine 1 cup of fat free skim milk with a few drops of vanilla extract, three packets of Splenda sweetener, and about a cup of frozen fruit (strawberries, pineapple, peaches). Blend on high until the fruit is blended with the milk. You could drink it right then as a smoothie, but I put it in a ceramic bowl and put it in the freezer for an hour and a half or two hours - stirring it every 20-30 minutes or so - and it makes a wonderful sort of sherbert/ice cream type dessert. I have one of these almost every night after my work out. I hate dairy products so this is about the only way I get any kind of dairy.

By the way, I got my cholesterol number yesterday - Total Cholesterol = 142

Return to Top
#663534 - 01/09/07 08:04 PM Re: Weight Watchers thomasj
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Yeah for you thomasj!

I'm going to have to check out the two links above. I've done so well over the holidays (ate what I wanted, just watched the amounts and didnt OD on Coke) but I've had a head cold for the last 4-5 days and for some reason have been starving. I'm eating way too much and then feeling miserable. I only went to kickboxing twice last week, it's really hard to do when you cant breathe! Hopefully I've got this cold on the downhill slide and can get back on track.

Return to Top
#663539 - 01/09/07 08:05 PM Re: Weight Watchers thomasj
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
Way to go Thomas. The website I noted does let you track your exercise as well as your body measurements so you can actually print a chart on how you are doing.

I love dairy products, so I am trying to cut back a little and try to eat a variety instead of just cheese or just milk. I just hope in the end to lose some weight and I am already feeling better so that is a bonus. I just needed a little something to make me accountable and putting it into the computer every day is working, so far.

Return to Top
#663977 - 01/10/07 04:02 PM Re: Weight Watchers Countess Kiwi
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
SO tired today... this is when I usually use the sugar/caffeine one-two punch from the red can... any alternative suggestions?? (oh, and I'm not a coffee drinker)

Return to Top
#663999 - 01/10/07 04:26 PM Re: Weight Watchers Bailey.
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Try a bottle of water and an apple. I read somewhere that most of our fatigue is from being dehydrated and that an apple gives you more of a pick me up than an energy drink without the icky side affects. I've started keeping both on my desk for when I need something. If that's all I have I cant be that tempted (thank goodness we dont have a pop machine at this branch).

On a side note, I weighed in at kickboxing and hadnt gained anything even though I was sure I had.

Return to Top
#664001 - 01/10/07 04:29 PM Re: Weight Watchers Bailey.
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Protein. You need protein to help keep you going. It will satisfy you much longer than a high carb or high sugar fix will. If you don't already eat some form of low fat protein for breakfast, you should start. Canadian bacon or lean ham are good choices. Think of protein as logs on a fire, they burn and provide steady heat for a long time while carbs and sugars are like grass and twigs - they burn very hot but are gone very quickly.

Return to Top
#666345 - 01/16/07 02:02 PM Re: Weight Watchers thomasj
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
OK - I'm into my 'change of habits' (don't want to call it a diet) for 7 days and I'm down about 2 pounds or so. I'm going to the gym at least 3 times a week to walk on the treadmill and I'm doing stomach crunches on the bench at home about 5-6 times a week (after the initial soreness wore off). I'm pleased with my progress and am working hard to stick with it.

We went out to dinner at Outback on Sunday evening with my step-daughter, her boyfriend and my mother-in-law. There was a gorgeous Bloomin' Onion at our table and did I have any - NO! There was a warm loaf of bread and did I have any - NO! I ate broiled fish and steamed vegetables and had a glass of ice water to drink.

Two down and at least 18 more to go!!! I feel very motivated right now and hope it continues.

Return to Top
#666362 - 01/16/07 02:27 PM Re: Weight Watchers Skittles
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
Way to go Skittles! I didn't get to WI this week (ice storm kept me away), but my home scales says I lost 1lb. I am back OP and all the candy from Christmas is OUT of the house.

Return to Top
#666671 - 01/16/07 07:04 PM Re: Weight Watchers cheekEE
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Forgot to post after my WI last Wednesday. Have lost 15.8 pounds since joining WW in September. YEA!!!! It's been slow, but that's OK.

Return to Top
#666683 - 01/16/07 07:13 PM Re: Weight Watchers Bagweaver
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
Slow is good...it gives your skin time to catch up.

Return to Top
#666702 - 01/16/07 07:20 PM Re: Weight Watchers cheekEE
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Congrats CheekEE & Bagweaver. Losses are good.

I hope that posting in this thread helps keep me motivated. That and maybe soon I'll be able to fit into some clothes I couldn't previously. My wardrobe will increase dramatically if I can stick with this.

Return to Top
#666712 - 01/16/07 07:26 PM Re: Weight Watchers Snowqueen
HootOwl5 Offline
I started weight watchers yesterday!! i really like it so far! anyone have any good weight watchers recipes??

Return to Top
#666713 - 01/16/07 07:26 PM Re: Weight Watchers cheekEE
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Yesterday was my one year anniversary for my new eating habits. It is hard to believe. I feel like an entirely different person and my favorite foods and flavors today are completely different than they were last year.

I have lost a little over 100 pounds and have kept it off for the last couple of months. My weight now only fluctuates up or down about 2 pounds at the most.

I look at pictures from last year and barely recognize that person. Last week I was looking at pictures from last summer after I had dropped 80-85 pounds or so and thought, boy I was still heavy!

Keep up the good work guys, it is soooooo worth it.

Return to Top
#666842 - 01/16/07 08:56 PM Re: Weight Watchers Bailey.
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Originally Posted By: Happy Kathy
SO tired today... this is when I usually use the sugar/caffeine one-two punch from the red can... any alternative suggestions?? (oh, and I'm not a coffee drinker)

You might try the new Special-K "K20" Protein Water. I'm LOVING it, especially the lemon flavored one!!! Instead of soda or coffee with artificial sweetener, I'm trying one of those in the afternoons, and it's terrific for that little lift and I can feel good about 2 things I need more of - water and protein.

Good luck breaking the chains binding you to those little cans of soda - I'm trying to get over my addiction to soda, too (it's SO bad for us!), and I'm doing pretty well thus far... hooray! I've had only 1 can of diet pepsi in a week, and 4 or 5 of the Special K protein waters.

Return to Top
#666993 - 01/17/07 12:14 AM Re: Weight Watchers BurntSienna
Suzie Offline
Platinum Poster
Suzie
Far North
Went to my first WW meeting as a lifetimer last Sunday and that was cool. Was even down a couple more pounds.

My new thing, I put $44 in my savings account -- money I previously would have spent for a month of meetings. My new WW goal is to be under my goal weight each month and with the $ savings, new kitchen flooring by next holiday season!

As Thomas said, weight loss is so worth it! Just keep at it. Soon the weather will be more conducive to outdoor activities and with the pounds you have lost, you'll be ready to jump right in. I promise, weight loss is easier in the summer --

Good luck all-

Return to Top
#667103 - 01/17/07 03:21 PM Re: Weight Watchers Suzie
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
Yeah Suzie! One day I'll be a lifetimer! The meeting leader asked that I join the team after I hit my goal. I was so flattered.

Return to Top
#667696 - 01/18/07 01:15 PM Re: Weight Watchers cheekEE
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
I logged in for the free WW week online. I guess there are two programs to choose from - core (choose from groups) and flex (choose from points). I have a question about the flex/points - if I have, say, a 10 point allotment for the day - to use how I choose (it says) - don't I still have to pay attention to the types of food? For example - if I eat a whole pizza for lunch, and that's all I eat all day, and it totals exactly 10 points - an extreme example, I know, but go with this - I haven't overshot my points budget, but that can't be good for your body...

Return to Top
#667709 - 01/18/07 01:56 PM Re: Weight Watchers Bailey.
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Although I don't do WW, I have known a lot of people who did/do. That sounds correct HK.

My sister recommended that I read the book 'You - The Owners Manual'. She is trying to read it (she doesn't enjoy reading the way I do), and she says it's a real eye-opener about how your body works and what is good and bad for it. I started it last night. Next it's 'You - On A Diet'.

Return to Top
#667732 - 01/18/07 02:30 PM Re: Weight Watchers Skittles
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
I have read before in a book my gym gave me as well as with the online program I am using, that if you don't use all of the points/calories alloted for you your body will start storing fat because it thinks you are starving it.

Return to Top
#667737 - 01/18/07 02:35 PM Re: Weight Watchers Skittles
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Skittles
the book 'You - The Owners Manual'.

Is this a WW book? Who is the author?

Return to Top
#667750 - 01/18/07 02:50 PM Re: Weight Watchers Bailey.
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
No - it's by two doctor's. Their last names are Roizen and Oz. It's written in easy to understand language - not in doctor speak.

Return to Top
#667769 - 01/18/07 03:08 PM Re: Weight Watchers Bailey.
QueenBB Offline
100 Club
TX
HK, you are correct in theory about using your total points on one thing EXCEPT that the WW plan wants you to have 5 servings of fruits and/or vegetables each day and 2 or 3 servings of a milk or milk product. Those would enter into your points calculation. Fruits are usually 1 or 2 points; a lot of vegies are 0 points; milk is variable.

The WW plan (either core or flex) is designed to be a healthy way of eating. In our head we know that one piece of pizza just isn't real healthy! There are also 35 extra points per week to be used for those special times when we just need more or go over our daily allowance.

Return to Top
#667856 - 01/18/07 04:02 PM Re: Weight Watchers QueenBB
WesMantooth Offline
Gold Star
WesMantooth
San Diego
I have read both of the "You" books. Basically they say you should eat 5-6 small meals a day. It goes into a lot of details about the way your body uses food. Basically if you eat every 3 hours it will keep your metabolism high and prevent you from craving bad foods. Lots of protein. Carbs from good things like vegetables (not donuts). They say to eat a handful of nuts a day. It's not really a diet. Just eat right. I would recommend the books.

Return to Top
Page 34 of 38 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett