Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#67019 - 03/12/03 04:39 PM What do you do????
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
I'm curious, to those compliance officers out there, what other "hats" do you wear in the Bank? Marketing? Training? Everything? I'm not looking for things like BSA/OFAC etc, mainly other "departments" your responsible for like the 2 listed above. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#67020 - 03/12/03 04:49 PM Re: What do you do????
I Wear Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
I Wear Many Hats
the beautiful state of ME
I also oversee a staff of 3 in our HR and Training area as well as function as BSA officer and all that other stuff.

Return to Top
#67021 - 03/12/03 04:56 PM Re: What do you do????
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
It really depends on the size of your organization. When I was Compliance Officer for a $175MM bank, I was also the Loan Operations Manager, teller trainer, back up board secretary, CRA Officer, plus a lot of 'controller' responsibilities.

Now that I work for a $1.4 billion company, I manage compliance (with a staff that includes the BSA Officer, the CRA Officer and assistants), plus manage our outsourced internal audit.

Return to Top
#67022 - 03/12/03 05:32 PM Re: What do you do????
Anonymous
Unregistered

$820 million dollar bank - I run Marketing, Call Center, and am also CRA and Privacy Officer (as well as backup Indirect Auto underwriter )

Return to Top
#67023 - 03/12/03 05:34 PM Re: What do you do????
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
At $3 billion, our compliance department is responsible for CRA, Appraisal ordering management, loan review, quality control and compliance. The bank has a separate security officer for BSA/AML/OFAC, as well as separate training staff. Internal audit is a separate department and we both report to the EVP for Risk Management (which seems to be a growing trend in banking these days).

Return to Top
#67024 - 03/12/03 06:22 PM Re: What do you do????
Anonymous
Unregistered

We are a 1.6 bilion dollar operation.
I am resonsible for Compliance/CRA/ BSA/ Security with 1 full time clerk assistant. We do receive some support from the Corporate Director of Compliance and his full time AVP assistant.

Return to Top
#67025 - 03/12/03 07:32 PM Re: What do you do????
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
Internal Auditor/Compliance officer/Privacy manager. On top of that I sit on the IT Committee, head up a lot of "special projects" such as creating an Online Banking system, debit card programs, overdraft privilege programs, and anything else they can squeeze in.

Return to Top
#67026 - 03/12/03 07:45 PM Re: What do you do????
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I've said this a hundred times, but always like to say it when I get the chance. If you're a "big bank" (over $250MM) your CRA officer should be...a CRA officer and that's it! When you're rated with the big boys, but assign the duty to one person wearing 42 other hats...you're over burdening that person. One day...it will creep up and bite you in the bumm!

Can you guess what I do? CRA! That's it! Meeting the goals of the Act, or exceeding in them ot become Outstanding, is a full time job for myself and my assistant. We're looking at a 3rd staff in this area alone. We're a $2 billion bank.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#67027 - 03/12/03 08:32 PM Re: What do you do????
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
Dawnie - I hear you. Convincing management is another story.

We're $530+ million, and I do CRA, compliance, and privacy. Our new CEO set a high goal - outstanding in compliance & CRA, where now we're rated satisfactory. When I started here 4 years ago, I thought that separating the compliance / CRA functions in 3-5 years was a realistic goal. I still think that way, but accomplishing it is a whole different discussion.

The issue is, it takes vastly different skill sets to focus on detail issues like file reviews; and then spend time out of the bank on outreach activities. It's the time away from the bank that's killing me at present.

To answer the original poster, I've done CRA outreach exclusively for a $26 billion bank (as part of a group); and I've done compliance, CRA, security & BSA, marketing, info security / system access, and secretary to the Board of Directors for a $170 million community bank that was an affiliate of a super-regional bank. You are usually expected to wear more hats in the smaller institutions...

Return to Top
#67028 - 03/12/03 08:55 PM Re: What do you do????
Anonymous
Unregistered

We are a 2.4 billion bank in the mid-south with a combined Compliance/CRA Officer. This decision was made 5 years ago and has not been a problem. We have maintained satisfactory compliance ratings and have received SATs on our CRA.

If the desire is to get and outstanding, then I guess it may be worth it. For us, it isn't since there's no difference in the community whether we are a SAT our Outstanding. People on the street don't care.

Return to Top
#67029 - 03/13/03 01:18 AM Re: What do you do????
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I'm away from the office a great deal of the time, hence the need for a dedicated person to the post of CRA. You have a tough goal ahead of you Bart. I hope you can do it! I have explained to the board that Outstanding isn't a gift. If you want the rating, you have to invest in it, which means both people and time.

While folks might not think Outstanding matters (we used to think that) we've found upon receiving our first...that people actually really did care. When you're looking for municipal or governmental accounts, there is value to the rating.

Some thing the investment in Outstanding comes at a loss to profit. We are rated one of the top ten banks in the nation...we're also Outstanding.

Off subject of course, but when given the opportunity to harp on the value of the rating...I always do

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top