Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#670203 - 01/23/07 04:19 PM Why Are There So Many Single Americans?
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Why Are There So Many Single Americans?
By KATE ZERNIKE
Published: January 21, 2007

THE news that 51 percent of all women live without a spouse might be enough to make you invest in cat futures.

But consider, too, the flip side: about half of all men find themselves in the same situation. As the number of people marrying has dropped off in the last 45 years, the marriage rate has declined equally for men and for women.

The stereotype has been cemented in the popular culture: the hard-charging career girl who gets her comeuppance, either violently or dying a slow death by late-night memo and Chinese takeout...

But when it comes to marriage, the two Americas aren’t divided by gender. And it’s not the career girls on the losing end. It’s their less educated manicurists or housekeepers, women who might arguably be less able to live on their own.

The emerging gulf is instead one of class — what demographers, sociologists and those who study the often depressing statistics about the wedded state call a “marriage gap” between the well-off and the less so.

Statistics show that college educated women are more likely to marry than non-college educated women — although they marry, on average, two years later.

Women with more education also are becoming less likely to divorce, or inclined to divorce, than those with less education. They are even less likely to be widowed all in all, less likely to end up alone.

Snip......... NY Times

______

Why are so many people single?

Simple: The Baby-boomers made it possible.

No-fault insurance, no fault-divorce, abortion on demand, everything is OK "as long as it doesn't hurt anyone." Does that sound familiar?

We were once a tough nation, we are now a country comprised of --- who can rationalize any action - so long as we benefit, and everyone else be damned.

How's that?

PS: And those darn Lawyers!

Last edited by Andy Z; 01/23/07 09:59 PM.
Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#670225 - 01/23/07 04:28 PM Re: Why Are There So Many Single Americans? °X°
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Don't you also think people are more cautious about entering into a marriage contract? (And this aligns with the lawyers, I guess)

Return to Top
#670227 - 01/23/07 04:29 PM Re: Why Are There So Many Single Americans? °X°
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Some of us just simply are not allowed to be married my friend.

Return to Top
#670228 - 01/23/07 04:30 PM Re: Why Are There So Many Single Americans? #Just Jay
Lip Gloss Offline
Diamond Poster
Lip Gloss
Texas
Allowed??

Return to Top
#670231 - 01/23/07 04:32 PM Re: Why Are There So Many Single Americans? Lip Gloss
Roger That Offline
Platinum Poster
Roger That
Penna.
Sounds like somebody listens to banjos a great deal.

Return to Top
#670235 - 01/23/07 04:33 PM Re: Why Are There So Many Single Americans? Lip Gloss
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
I actually think that more people rush into marriage these days, and then they get divorced and become single again.

Return to Top
#670239 - 01/23/07 04:35 PM Re: Why Are There So Many Single Americans? Sing A Little
RandomName Offline
Diamond Poster
Austin, TX
Mainly, I've been thwarted by various restraining orders.

Return to Top
#670240 - 01/23/07 04:36 PM Re: Why Are There So Many Single Americans? Sing A Little
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
I like the idea of having friends without contracts. Kind of like cell phones...once I'm tired of them I can upgrade.

Return to Top
#670242 - 01/23/07 04:38 PM Re: Why Are There So Many Single Americans? RandomName
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
TICG keeps stealing them from me...that's my problem...

and plus...I can't figure out what Church I'd be married in...hehe...
Last edited by NeophytePolitico; 01/23/07 04:39 PM.
Return to Top
#670245 - 01/23/07 04:42 PM Re: Why Are There So Many Single Americans? °X°
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
so what's the problem other than "living in sin"?

Return to Top
#670250 - 01/23/07 04:45 PM Re: Why Are There So Many Single Americans? Hated By Some
Lip Gloss Offline
Diamond Poster
Lip Gloss
Texas
Most people go into marriage with the thought that if it doesn't really work for them they can just divorce.

Return to Top
#670251 - 01/23/07 04:47 PM Re: Why Are There So Many Single Americans? Hated By Some
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Ron Mexico

Demographics, my friend, demographics.

Return to Top
#670252 - 01/23/07 04:48 PM Re: Why Are There So Many Single Americans? Lip Gloss
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Originally Posted By: Lip Gloss
Most people go into marriage with the thought that if it doesn't really work for them they can just divorce.

do they go into marriage because they think they need to because otherwise they'd be living in sin or something? i just don't get the beef.

Return to Top
#670253 - 01/23/07 04:49 PM Re: Why Are There So Many Single Americans? Jokerman
Lip Gloss Offline
Diamond Poster
Lip Gloss
Texas
My dad always says, "why buy the cow when the milk is free?!" I just laugh at him. I know alot of people think this way though.

Return to Top
#670255 - 01/23/07 04:49 PM Re: Why Are There So Many Single Americans? Jokerman
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Originally Posted By: -J-

Demographics, my friend, demographics.

please explain.

Return to Top
#670257 - 01/23/07 04:50 PM Re: Why Are There So Many Single Americans? Hated By Some
Lip Gloss Offline
Diamond Poster
Lip Gloss
Texas

do they go into marriage because they think they need to because otherwise they'd be living in sin or something? i just don't get the beef.

Maybe they think that marrying is the right thing to do or maybe they feel it will make their lives more complete somehow.

Return to Top
#670287 - 01/23/07 05:06 PM Re: Why Are There So Many Single Americans? Lip Gloss
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
so the bible says that humans are inherently imperfect which means they are capable of making bad decisions. but yet some members of the religious right (not you, in general) want to mandate that the decisions people make such as marriage must be held to an all-or-nothing-point-of-no-return standard. seems to be quite a paradox to me.

all i want to know is what the harm to society is.

Return to Top
#670301 - 01/23/07 05:17 PM Re: Why Are There So Many Single Americans? Hated By Some
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Apart from any legal/financial advantages, what is the point in marriage? If you get married and find out later that you don't want to be together, there's an unneccesary contract that complicates separating. If two people are truly in love, they would want to stay together forever anyway, so what purpose does the contract serve?

Return to Top
#670316 - 01/23/07 05:27 PM Re: Why Are There So Many Single Americans? The Incredible ComplyGuy
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I don't think that living with my fiance is a "sin", we are domestic partners, we have both been married once before, my son already has a father, we both have financial security independently from one another, we both are college educated, we both have wills, and we both have property. No need for the piece of paper.

Besides, he is a nice guy and a great companion, marriage though, eh, nope, been there done that.

Return to Top
#670317 - 01/23/07 05:28 PM Re: Why Are There So Many Single Americans? The Incredible ComplyGuy
Lip Gloss Offline
Diamond Poster
Lip Gloss
Texas
I guess that's one way to look at it.

Return to Top
#670321 - 01/23/07 05:30 PM Re: Why Are There So Many Single Americans? Lip Gloss
Lip Gloss Offline
Diamond Poster
Lip Gloss
Texas
Isn't the term fiance used for someone you plan on marrying??

Return to Top
#670325 - 01/23/07 05:31 PM Re: Why Are There So Many Single Americans? The Incredible ComplyGuy
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
Besides the legal/financial advantages (which are both practical and important) I believe that getting married shows a true committment. You're signing your name on the dotted line to be legally bound to that other person. It should be taken seriously, and it should be a committment for life.

The everyday logistics are also made much easier by being married instead of us co-habitating. Insurance, taxes, medical consent, wills/estates...all of these things are made easier with that little piece of paper.

Return to Top
#670327 - 01/23/07 05:32 PM Re: Why Are There So Many Single Americans? Lip Gloss
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Isn't the term fiance used for someone you plan on marrying??

I refer to it as a wolf-chasing mechanism...

Return to Top
#670332 - 01/23/07 05:35 PM Re: Why Are There So Many Single Americans? Retired DQ
Lip Gloss Offline
Diamond Poster
Lip Gloss
Texas
LOL

Return to Top
#670336 - 01/23/07 05:39 PM Re: Why Are There So Many Single Americans? Sing A Little
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Sing, the point is that if you are making a truly heartfelt commitment to a person, you don't need to sign a piece of paper. Placing importance on signing a dotted line reduces marriage to nothing more than a business transaction.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5