Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#677694 - 02/01/07 05:54 PM Appraisal per Lot for the Entire Parcel
Skyline Offline
Platinum Poster
Skyline
We are considering making a loan in excess of $250,000 and the collateral is an undeveloped parcel of land that will be divided up into ten lots for sale to home builders/consumers. The lots will be identical. Can we obtain an appraisal on one or two lots and use that figure as a basis X 10 to have a value of the entire parcel? I can see where the value of the one may not be the worth of the whole. They are wanting to do it this way to save $$$ on the appraisal. I suggested that they do ten loans, but I don't think that will fly.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#677903 - 02/01/07 08:03 PM Re: Appraisal per Lot for the Entire Parcel Skyline
Tom at HOME Offline
Diamond Poster
Who would purchase a lot in an undeveloped parcel? It is like having 5 acres of land that I plan to divide into 1/2 acre lots but I haven't yet subdivided the parcel. How can I then sell a lot until it is subdivided? Once the 5 acres is subdivided and developed, corner lots will have more value than non-corner lots and lots on a cul-de-sac will have more value than lots that are not so located. Lots with a view or that have a lot of trees or, or, or...will have more value. Until the property is developed it is a waist of time valuing the property per lot. Now, if this is a development loan and you will have a first lien position in the land, then you value the property per each anticipated lot and don't exceed 75% of the value of all lots in doing the development loan. But if it is just secured by the parcel don't value per lot, because there are no lots.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z