Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#676524 - 01/31/07 06:07 PM Signing in black ink vs blue
Sage Offline
Platinum Poster
No kidding- does it matter what color ink the customer signs the mortgage with in Indiana? I have a loan officer asking.

Return to Top
#676669 - 01/31/07 07:00 PM Re: Signing in black ink vs blue Sage
Tom at HOME Offline
Diamond Poster
Depending on the color blue, it does not copy or scan well. Black is therefore preferred by most filing officers. As far as required, I don’t know.

Return to Top
#677511 - 02/01/07 03:57 PM Re: Signing in black ink vs blue Tom at HOME
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
You will have to contact each county recording authority you deal with to ascertain if they will accept documents signed in blue ink. There is an IN Code, IC 36-2-17-2, that requires county recorders, county sheriffs, super intendants and other authorities to prepare and sign documents in black ink. Failure to do so can result in a Class C Felony. Therefore some recording authorities will only accept documents signed in black ink. However, I am not aware of any IN Code that requires the documents to be signed in black ink by the consumer, however I did not research it. Our County Recorder requires black ink, therefore we keep a supply of black ink pens at the closing tables.

Return to Top
#679692 - 02/05/07 05:10 PM Re: Signing in black ink vs blue Dan Persfull
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Not to horn in your state forum.... When I first started in the business, we were told to use black ink because it's permanet vs blue ink which is water soluable. The solubility could make the signature run and blurr. That was back when micro feche was the preferred method of scanning and original docs were kept in vaults.

Now that docs are scanned and housed on docubases, it probably doesn't matter as much but you still have to contend with laws, antiquated or not.

Return to Top