Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#683612 - 02/08/07 10:05 PM Grand jury Subpoena and other Subpoena
LuvforBSA Offline
IL
What are other bankers doing in regards to subpoena's and GJ Subpoena's for BSA purposes. The other FI I was at never looked at them for BSA purposes. Any guidance anywhere?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#683642 - 02/08/07 10:25 PM Re: Grand jury Subpoena and other Subpoena LuvforBSA
GLKS Offline
Gold Star
Whenever we receive a subpeona, gj subpeona, summons, and the like, we do a review and determine whether or not a SAR should be filed for any activity which was not previously on our radar.

Return to Top
#683671 - 02/08/07 10:41 PM Re: Grand jury Subpoena and other Subpoena LuvforBSA
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
LuvforBSA: There is some guidance on page 65 of the BSA Exam Manual.

Return to Top
#683764 - 02/09/07 11:01 AM Re: Grand jury Subpoena and other Subpoena Ted Dreyer
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
From the Manual:
Mere receipt of any law enforcement inquiry, does not, by itself, require the filing of a SAR by the bank.
Nonetheless, a law enforcement inquiry may be relevant to a bank's overall risk assessment of its customers and accounts.
For example, the receipt of a grand jury subpoena should cause a bank to review account activity for the relevant customer.
It is incumbent upon a bank to assess all of the information it knows about its customer, including the receipt of a law enforcement inquiry, in accordance with its risk-based BSA/AML compliance program.
The bank should determine whether a SAR should be filed based on all customer information available.

Return to Top
#684074 - 02/09/07 04:32 PM Re: Grand jury Subpoena and other Subpoena MagicCity
Cmone Offline
Deep South
What about subpoenas related to civil claims? Or does this apply to just criminal subpoenas?

Return to Top
#684095 - 02/09/07 04:41 PM Re: Grand jury Subpoena and other Subpoena Cmone
AMLJobSecurity Offline
New Poster
AMLJobSecurity
Indiana
My institution does not receive an abundance of subpoenas, so I have time to review them all, both criminal and civil, for suspicious activity.

Return to Top
#685432 - 02/12/07 08:16 PM Re: Grand jury Subpoena and other Subpoena AMLJobSecurity
NewTooBSA Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
We have a separate department that handles the research of the subpoenas and then forwards a copy to the BSA Department for final review. If we determine that the customer has had suspicious activity then a SAR is filed. We never assume just because a subpoena is received that the account is suspicious.

Return to Top
#703222 - 03/19/07 08:00 PM Re: Grand jury Subpoena and other Subpoena MagicCity
PeterMcW Offline
New Poster
PeterMcW
Miami, Fl
My question relates to accounts that have been closed for a number of years- our Legal Department sends to the BSA Unit copies of Grand Jury Subpoenas so that the pertinent accounts can be reviewed for possible suspicious activity. However, there are a lot of subpoenas for accounts closed years ago- there is no longer any relationship in any way shape or form- so do we have to get out the old records and review? If it is felt that this is not necessary what should the number of years be that we do not conduct a review- e.g. accounts closed two years or more will not be reviewed.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z