Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#68708 - 03/20/03 09:38 PM Two Weeks Vacation Rules
Anonymous
Unregistered

I hope one of you HR experts can tell me where to find the OCC, FDIC, and FRB rule that requires Bank employees to take two weeks vaction each year.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#68709 - 03/20/03 09:42 PM Re: Two Weeks Vacation Rules
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
This generally regarded as a good practice, but, for OCC related banks anyway, not a written requirement. It is a good fraud detector.

Also, absence is a better description than vacation. You could go to a school and add some vacation time to it or cross-train in another part of the bank (totally NOT doing you old job) to meet the intent here.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#68710 - 03/20/03 09:42 PM Re: Two Weeks Vacation Rules
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If you do a search of threads on this you will find we have discussed this a number of times.

Return to Top
#68711 - 03/20/03 09:42 PM Re: Two Weeks Vacation Rules
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN

Return to Top
#68712 - 03/20/03 10:04 PM Re: Two Weeks Vacation Rules
Anonymous
Unregistered

And as usual, always check with your state code too.

Return to Top
#68713 - 03/20/03 10:11 PM Re: Two Weeks Vacation Rules
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Andy and Randy, what were you doing at 4:42 P.M. on 3/20/03?

Return to Top
#68714 - 03/20/03 10:15 PM Re: Two Weeks Vacation Rules
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Looks like the exact same thing as you

Return to Top
#68715 - 03/20/03 10:26 PM Re: Two Weeks Vacation Rules
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
As I understand this, it isn't a requirement, but it is recommended. As Andy said, it's a good way to detect fraud (since many fraud schemes need the perpetrator there constantly to keep it going). Some banks can't afford to have someone away for two weeks. I have had a consultant tell me that a good alternative is maybe one week of vacation with the second week spent in an unrelated part of the bank, or in training.

Return to Top
#68716 - 03/20/03 10:32 PM Re: Two Weeks Vacation Rules
Michelle M Offline
Gold Star
Michelle M
I'm not in compliance so tell me if I wrong, but I thought the BBA required 1 week consecutive leave.

Return to Top
#68717 - 03/21/03 02:07 PM Re: Two Weeks Vacation Rules
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
BBA?

Return to Top
#68718 - 03/21/03 02:58 PM Re: Two Weeks Vacation Rules
1111 Offline
Platinum Poster
Quote:

I hope one of you HR experts can tell me where to find the OCC, FDIC, and FRB rule that requires Bank employees to take two weeks vaction each year.

The FDIC "Letter" covering this issue is HERE and it refers back to the Internal Routine and Controls Section of the FDIC's Manual of Examination Policies.

In addition, D&O policies virtually always include a question as to whether or not the financial institution has a two weeks off policy. If you have that policy, exception approval should be documentation to the employee file.

Return to Top
#68719 - 03/21/03 03:01 PM Re: Two Weeks Vacation Rules
Michelle M Offline
Gold Star
Michelle M
BBA = Bank Bribery Act

Return to Top
#68720 - 03/21/03 08:03 PM Re: Two Weeks Vacation Rules
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
To my knowledge the BBA addresses a code of conduct, receipt of gifts, etc. but I am not aware of any required absence from working in a position. Do you have a cite?
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#68721 - 03/21/03 08:09 PM Re: Two Weeks Vacation Rules
Michelle M Offline
Gold Star
Michelle M
No, sorry I don't, as I said compliance isn't my area, I just thought had heard something about the vacation rule having to do with BBA.

Return to Top
#68722 - 03/22/03 07:55 AM Re: Two Weeks Vacation Rules
Deepa C Offline
Deepa C
Dubai, UAE
The new BIS II Accord for Operational Risk (to be enforced by 2006) looks at Key Risk Indicators that have to be reported by banks to the Central Bank of each country. One of the requirements is :
"Employees in commercial banks should be encouraged to take an annual break of two weeks or more. Failure to do so may be out of a desire to conceal internal fraud or poor work practices which would be otherwise detected by staff cover. This is especially important where the leave taken does not span a month end, when key internal reports and MIS are prepared.

Banks should report the numbers of staff not taking 2 consecutive months of leave (including a month end), as a % of the total workforce."

Return to Top
#68723 - 03/22/03 01:11 PM Re: Two Weeks Vacation Rules
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
This week I was told that FDIC has reduced its vacation requirement from 2 weeks to 1 week, but I can't find anything newer than the 1995 FIL indicating the traditional 2 weeks. Has anyone else heard of this change?

Return to Top
#68724 - 07/22/03 10:56 PM Re: Two Weeks Vacation Rules
RFitzpatrick Offline
Gold Star
RFitzpatrick
Pacific NW
I was asked about the two-week requirement again today. I have the 95 FIL, but also have "heard" the FDIC has relaxed their stance on this since then. Anyone know of anything more definative?

Return to Top
#68725 - 07/23/03 02:52 AM Re: Two Weeks Vacation Rules
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
I haven't heard anything else. Maybe one of you FDIC banks can contact FDIC and ask the question directly?

Return to Top
#68726 - 07/23/03 07:01 AM Re: Two Weeks Vacation Rules
wavewatcher Offline
Diamond Poster
wavewatcher
Hawaii
We are an FDIC bank. We didn't hear about the reduction. In fact we just went through a long risk assessment to have some staff switch from 2 weeks to 1 week. We were told (in May 2003) that we needed to document document document about why we wanted the change and how the 1 week would still provide us with the opportunity to "see" what the staff person on vacation "doing honest dealings."

Return to Top
#68727 - 07/23/03 03:13 PM Re: Two Weeks Vacation Rules
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
I don't remember the two week vacation rule ever coming from the FDIC. For us in Indiana, I remember that the state used to require 2 weeks in a row, but that has been relaxed. We require at least 1 week.

Return to Top