Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#688576 - 02/16/07 05:54 PM Re: New Moderators? Becka Marr
XODUS Offline
Power Poster
XODUS
Originally Posted By: Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: XODUS
the whole myspace thread was deleted, i am assume it is because someone posted a list of proxy sites in the thread. However, nobody has confirmed that...

Your assumption is correct--which suggests that you are able to understand why it was inappropriate.

Sorry to see you go Thank you for the great game threads

actually I don't, if he had simply suggested that they look up a proxy site on the net and use it would that have been deleted? Was it just deleted because he actually listed sites? And why is posting proxy sites inappropriate? because it may lead to diversion from work? what is this place?

Return to Top
#688577 - 02/16/07 05:54 PM Re: New Moderators? °X°
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
I have been around for a couple of years and I can see how the site is different now than it was then, but I also realize it has a lot to do with the influx of younger people who's ideas of what is appropriate and professional are different than that of the "traditional" posters. While this causes some conflict BOL needs to realize who their future lies with. If you alienate the 20 somethings who is going to use this site in 10 years?

Xodus - you do realize that in 10 years today's 20-something will be tomorrow's 30-something, and they will have (hopefully) matured into a more well rounded person, and their view of what is "appropriate" and "professional" will be significantly different than it is today?

Return to Top
#688578 - 02/16/07 05:55 PM Re: New Moderators? Pale Rider
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
X, calling me or anyone a RINO when you don't know me is borderline offensive in my opinion; I simply tried to allay your concerns by providing some bona fides. My political or religious persuasion is a non sequitur, and you are not going to achieve your purposes, so----

have a good day

Calling someone a RINO is borderline offensive? Where is that outlined in the BOL guidelines? And that's the deal - your personal low threshold for feeling offended now has be to considered, as well as BOL guidelines. In other words, the inmates (you, for example) are now in charge of the asylum – a very bad event for posters.

Return to Top
#688581 - 02/16/07 05:56 PM Re: New Moderators? HappyGilmore
XODUS Offline
Power Poster
XODUS
sure but if you alienate them now then they aren't your customers then. I would guess this site functions largely based on traffic, so lessening it can't be good.

Return to Top
#688584 - 02/16/07 05:57 PM Re: New Moderators? MichelleDawn
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Here's my take on this whole thing. I think that the addition of the new moderators is a farce. This, in my opinion, is an example of what happens when a group of people make enough noise. They don't have to be right. They might not be wrong. But all it takes are for people to complain enough and they get something to pacify them and keep them calm. In my opinion, that is just plain wrong here.

Now, _X_ and I never agree on anything, but on this we do. Some of the new moderators have walked around here with a holier-than-thou attitude in regards to the amount of time people spend on here and the usefulness of some of the posts started on here. Yet, they are now moderating the forum and are in an authority position to individualistically purge threads they feel are detrimental to the professionalism of a non business discussion forum.

Now, I'm asking for the Moderators, to talk to us and guarantee us that we get a firm list of guidelines on what to post and a promise that their authority won't be used in a biased, subjective manner.

Regardless, I'm not going to go away. I'm going to keep posting here and I'm going to keep voicing my opinions on pop culture and/or the political landscape. I'm asking for those of you have are "leaving" to not leave because of the new "SWAT Team" of moderators. Stay here, keep posting, and let us keep this Cooler a place for all, and not for a very opinionated minority.

Return to Top
#688586 - 02/16/07 05:58 PM Re: New Moderators? XODUS
XODUS Offline
Power Poster
XODUS
Sing a Little, I know my bank looks at everything I post and how often I am here. They can decide how they want me to represent their institution, I don't need a proxy to do that for them.

Return to Top
#688587 - 02/16/07 05:58 PM Re: New Moderators? MichelleDawn
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Originally Posted By: Sweetpeas
Quote:
Also, when Sweetpeas starts passingly out compliments to moderators - something has become more than passingly strange in the cooler. Or, perhaps she is now bowing down and kissing rings!

I'm not kissing rings. More than one person has asked the moderators give a clear answer on what is considered inappropriate and Pale Rider is the only one who bothered to answer. While it is still not clear, I'm glad someone made the effort.

I had felt that my earlier post in this thread provied at least some insight into my thoughts on this. But I am happy to elaborate and clarify.

I think the two threads that have been removed in the past couple of days are a fair measure of what is inappropriate- graphic violence, and tools to undermine the bank's security measures. Of course, I think the overwhelmingly majority here would agree that posts that contain racism, blatant sexual innuendo, endorsement of criminal activity, and other obviously offensive material should and will be removed. Fortunately, the worst of the worst has been few and far between (with the exception of the anonymous spammers that had been infecting the threads before anon posting was reigned in- but that has nothing to do with actual regular posters).

As for how I, as a moderator, will measure what is appropriate when dealing with the gray areas- I'll take my lead from three sources:
-mod notification- if a poster requests a mod review, I'm happy to review it. I won't promise to remove everything that's reported, but I'll give it honest consideration.
-consulting with other mods- I don't own this corner of cyberspace, so I have no intention of making my decisions in a vaccuum, or based on my personal opinion. I'll defer to others if I'm on the fence. Most of the mods are people that I talk to regularly, so I have no problem approaching them for a second opinion.
-history- in my 5+ years of posting here, I've developed a pretty good feel for what is and is not acceptable use of the threads in the opinion of our hosts. And I intend to use that as a reference for future decisions.

I hope this answers your questions. If you have any more questions, feel free to post them or pm me.

Return to Top
#688589 - 02/16/07 05:58 PM Re: New Moderators? XODUS
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
However, Xodus, cluttering it with poop really doesn't provide much help when all that the vendors see are only the posts in the WC.
Last edited by Devil Queen; 02/16/07 06:07 PM.

Return to Top
#688590 - 02/16/07 06:00 PM Re: New Moderators? XODUS
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
everyone is making it sound like these people are in the cooler viewing every post and determining if it passes muster or not. in reality, most posts are deleted because someone has notified a moderator that a post in inappropriate...

Return to Top
#688591 - 02/16/07 06:00 PM Re: New Moderators? Sing A Little
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Originally Posted By: Sing A Little
I really don't know why so many people are upset about it. If you conduct yourself like a banking professional in the business threads and then and are able to have fun in a clean way in the cooler...then there is nothing to worry about.

Sure some people's opinions on what is offensive are going to differ, but most people know when they are walking the line. What is needed is not 9 moderators, just people exercising a little more self-control.

The cooler is:

Quote:
The spot to blow off steam and have fun.

Now, each of us - being human (at least most of us) have a different way of blow off steam and having fun. This is not a banking thread - it's listed seperately as a non-banking thread - it's a human thread for bankers (now that is something that the public would doubt, in some cases) so, the same standards do not apply. Now, what don't you understanding about that?

Return to Top
#688592 - 02/16/07 06:00 PM Re: New Moderators? XODUS
CAWorkingGirl Offline
Gold Star
It would be nice if a "Sticky" post was placed on the top of the Cooler Threads with some guidlines and the consequences for not following the guidelines...you know like most Forums have. That way we know what the officail rules of the BOL are, as opposed to the perceived rules of the moderators.

Return to Top
#688599 - 02/16/07 06:04 PM Re: New Moderators? Retired DQ
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Originally Posted By: Devil Queen
However, Xodus, cluttering it with poop really doesn't provide much help when all that the vendors see are only the posts in the WC.

Can a moderator post "poop"? - I'm offended, please eliminate your own post, ASAP! Yes, I'm serious! Vendors will also be offended by the word - it's not a banking term, you know.
Last edited by Devil Queen; 02/16/07 06:06 PM.
Return to Top
#688604 - 02/16/07 06:07 PM Re: New Moderators? JacF
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
So, all my posts are acceptable to me - I'm not really interested in second opinions. Therefore, stay off of my cloud or I'll report you to those vendors that you hold so dearly as most of them are also my vendors as well, so who's side will they be on?

Return to Top
#688605 - 02/16/07 06:07 PM Re: New Moderators? CAWorkingGirl
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Originally Posted By: CAWorkingGirl
It would be nice if a "Sticky" post was placed on the top of the Cooler Threads with some guidlines and the consequences for not following the guidelines...you know like most Forums have. That way we know what the officail rules of the BOL are, as opposed to the perceived rules of the moderators.

Check it out, as per your request.

Return to Top
#688607 - 02/16/07 06:09 PM Re: New Moderators? °X°
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Originally Posted By: _X_
Originally Posted By: Devil Queen

Can a moderator post "poop"? - I'm offended, please eliminate your own post, ASAP! Yes, I'm serious! Vendors will also be offended by the word - it's not a banking term, you know.

I'm also, most recently, offended by "poop" so please eliminate your post ASAP - poop is not a banking term and this is a banking site, very professional, very PC!

Return to Top
#688608 - 02/16/07 06:09 PM Re: New Moderators? Retired DQ
CAWorkingGirl Offline
Gold Star
wow that was fats...Thanks!! Actually I did a reload and saw it on top.

Can I ask where you go that from? It seems very short.

Return to Top
#688609 - 02/16/07 06:10 PM Re: New Moderators? °X°
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
X, give it a rest, dear. Thank you.

Return to Top
#688611 - 02/16/07 06:10 PM Re: New Moderators? Retired DQ
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
It is from the FAQs, CA.

Return to Top
#688616 - 02/16/07 06:12 PM Re: New Moderators? CAWorkingGirl
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
Originally Posted By: CAWorkingGirl
wow that was fats...

Now there is no reason for name calling!! Geez some people....

Return to Top
#688619 - 02/16/07 06:13 PM Re: New Moderators? Clown Boy
CAWorkingGirl Offline
Gold Star
Yea here in California when something is done really quick we say "hey that was Fats"..Okay only the three year old do this, but I think it's the next big trend.

Return to Top
#688621 - 02/16/07 06:15 PM Re: New Moderators? CAWorkingGirl
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
lol... CaworkingGirl... The next big trend setter.

Return to Top
#688625 - 02/16/07 06:26 PM Re: New Moderators? JacF
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
endorsement of criminal activity

what if we are arguing about the wrongness of the underlying criminality? seems pretty political to me.

Return to Top
#688642 - 02/16/07 06:44 PM Re: New Moderators? Imagine
CubDave Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By: NeophytePolitico
Here's my take on this whole thing. I think that the addition of the new moderators is a farce. This, in my opinion, is an example of what happens when a group of people make enough noise. They don't have to be right. They might not be wrong. But all it takes are for people to complain enough and they get something to pacify them and keep them calm. In my opinion, that is just plain wrong here.

Now, _X_ and I never agree on anything, but on this we do. Some of the new moderators have walked around here with a holier-than-thou attitude in regards to the amount of time people spend on here and the usefulness of some of the posts started on here. Yet, they are now moderating the forum and are in an authority position to individualistically purge threads they feel are detrimental to the professionalism of a non business discussion forum.

Now, I'm asking for the Moderators, to talk to us and guarantee us that we get a firm list of guidelines on what to post and a promise that their authority won't be used in a biased, subjective manner.

Regardless, I'm not going to go away. I'm going to keep posting here and I'm going to keep voicing my opinions on pop culture and/or the political landscape. I'm asking for those of you have are "leaving" to not leave because of the new "SWAT Team" of moderators. Stay here, keep posting, and let us keep this Cooler a place for all, and not for a very opinionated minority.
Lighten up - it's not a farce. It is what is is, more people available to make sure that offensive stuff isn't posted, and before you get on a soapbox and say that "what's offensive to some may not be..." - WHO CARES. Common sense will prevail, and regardless of if you are on the side of the moderator gang, or the side of what is bound to become "X's Anti-Moderator Posse", if everyone would just leave it alone, you will end up seeing there is no difference, aside from more eyes available to delete a post or thread that has gone too far across that admittedly subjective line.

If you don't like it - leave. BOL got rid of Anon postings because it got too uncontrollable, and they will most certainly ban posters who continue to push the limits. It is their house - they can do whatever they want, and if I don't like it or you don't like it, we can leave. It's really as simple as that.

If Amazon.com decided they no longer would accept Visa cards, and that's all you had, you would leave.

Don't forget that BOL is a business. As good of a resource as it is for bankers, they earn money by advertising on the site, and they can ask more for ad space based on how many registered users and how many hits they get. It's their business, and they can kick us out, or they can operate their business in a manner that may piss some people off and lose business because of it.

Bottom line is that the Watercooler belongs to them - not us - and they can make and change the rules any time they want to.

Return to Top
#688661 - 02/16/07 06:55 PM Re: New Moderators? Imagine
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Originally Posted By: NeophytePolitico

Frank-
I will agree with you in that topics such as politics, sports, etc are fair game in this cooler, as long as it doesnt turn into personal attacks, name calling, etc.(which frankly many of them do, but I digress). I also think that if a mod deletes a post or thread simply based on their personal disagreement of the topic (and not offensiveness), that is unacceptable and should be monitored.

However, I also truly think that we should all be able to determine what is offensive and not post that type of material...It is ridiculous to think every word or topic that BOL or the mods may consider offensive should be listed somewhere as a reference. We are all adults and should be able to distinguish what is and isn't acceptable on this site. I may not be offended by a thread discussing passing gas, but that doesn't mean it belongs on this site. There is a time and place for everything.

Return to Top
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6