Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#689130 - 02/19/07 12:00 PM Re: The Real Daytona 500... Imagine
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Iknow it was a shame- Mark Martin is such a great guy too. I like Harvick and he did what he was suppose to do- win the race- but Oh it would have been great to see Mark win.

Poor JR!!

I don't know why on the flag issue but my gosh they had so little to go and the crashes were outrageous at the end.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#689140 - 02/19/07 01:57 PM Re: The Real Daytona 500... pjs
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
What a wild finish, I would have loved to see Mark Martin win but it wasn't meant to be.

Return to Top
#689142 - 02/19/07 02:06 PM Re: The Real Daytona 500... Imagine
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
How come there was no caution for the "big one" on the last lap?

this is just spitballing, but wouldn't the yellow be effective on the following lap?

Return to Top
#689146 - 02/19/07 02:26 PM Re: The Real Daytona 500... Hated By Some
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Originally Posted By: Ron Mexico
Quote:
How come there was no caution for the "big one" on the last lap?

this is just spitballing, but wouldn't the yellow be effective on the following lap?

No Ron, as soon as the caution comes out, they freeze the field. Martin should have won that race. He even said in an interview, "I was waiting for the caution"

Return to Top
#689149 - 02/19/07 02:30 PM Re: The Real Daytona 500... Bimmer
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
obviously i have no idea as i never watch nascar but, being daytona, i was flipping back and forth and stopped to watch the last 8 laps.

i think the decision to not call a caution allowed them to settle the matter "on the field" but how often do they make such subjective interpretations of the rules?

Return to Top
#689151 - 02/19/07 02:35 PM Re: The Real Daytona 500... Hated By Some
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Any more, it seems that they have been changing their minds every race.

Return to Top
#689152 - 02/19/07 02:37 PM Re: The Real Daytona 500... Bimmer
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
What about the driver who crossed the finish line upside down and on fire. Wow.

Return to Top
#689153 - 02/19/07 02:45 PM Re: The Real Daytona 500... Creditcop
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
the last 8 laps was admittedly very exciting and the last lap was intense! i would totally be the upside-down-on-fire guy if i were in nascar.

Return to Top
#689171 - 02/19/07 04:24 PM Re: The Real Daytona 500... Hated By Some
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
This is another case of NASCAR creating/altering rules as they see fit...I remember a Pepsi 400 a few years back when the field was wrecking behind the leaders with like under 3 to go, and instead of letting them race back to the caution (as Rusty was in the process of passing Michael Waltrip), they threw the caution and gave DEI another win at Daytona.

And for you conspiracy theorists out there...Dale Earnhardt died at Daytona 6 years ago yesterday in the #3. The #29 won it yesterday...go figure.

Return to Top
#689205 - 02/19/07 05:31 PM Re: The Real Daytona 500... Bimmer
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Originally Posted By: Bimmer
Any more, it seems that they have been changing their minds every race.

I sometimes think that too, Bimmer.

One thing about Mark Martin he isn't whining about it like some others would. Yes, I wanted him to win and yes he was so so close.

Yeah, Daytona 500 is bittersweet to me- I hate it because Dale Sr died there and I'm still not over the anger part of that but I have to watch some of it every year because of Dale JR. Go figure.

Return to Top
#689376 - 02/20/07 02:56 PM Re: The Real Daytona 500... Imagine
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: NeophytePolitico
This is another case of NASCAR creating/altering rules as they see fit...I remember a Pepsi 400 a few years back when the field was wrecking behind the leaders with like under 3 to go, and instead of letting them race back to the caution (as Rusty was in the process of passing Michael Waltrip), they threw the caution and gave DEI another win at Daytona.

And for you conspiracy theorists out there...Dale Earnhardt died at Daytona 6 years ago yesterday in the #3. The #29 won it yesterday...go figure.

Frank, lol, you're not seriously stating that there is any conspiracy to let Harvick win (other than the random application of rules that vary by the moment and whatever fits Nascar's whim which is total BS)?

I would have loved to see MM win since he was on his 23rd try, but it's much more exciting to watch them race to the finish.

But, if the normal rule is that as soon as you would normally throw the yellow the field is frozen, then you shouldn't change from that just to make it more exciting.

Return to Top
#689379 - 02/20/07 03:00 PM Re: The Real Daytona 500... MB Guy
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
No no...I'm not saying NASCAR made Harvick win...
But I have seen NASCAR make BS calls in the past that have allowed certain drivers to win.

I remember Talladega a few years back with Jr. and Kenseth were dueling for the win, and Jr. most definetely went "out of bounds" and advanced his position. Where was NASCAR on that one?

Return to Top
#689418 - 02/20/07 03:49 PM Re: The Real Daytona 500... Imagine
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
All I have to say is out of Tony, JR, Jimmy and Jeff,
Jeff was the only one who finished the race (sure it was smashed against a wall, but he still crossed the finish line) Take that all you stewart and JR fans!! I was a little bummed that JR's engine didn't blow in the first few laps, but that wreck sure make up for it...

P.S. On that note, I got really excited when on the first few laps they were saying there was smoke coming from his car... Too bad it was just dust from the track or tire smoke...

Return to Top
#689423 - 02/20/07 03:52 PM Re: The Real Daytona 500... Clown Boy
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
Oh, and did anyone else think Nick Cage WAYYYYYYYY over did the national anthem? Just when I thought he couldn't make life any worse, he has to ruin the Daytona 500!!

Return to Top
#689590 - 02/20/07 05:50 PM Re: The Real Daytona 500... Clown Boy
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.

Return to Top
#689628 - 02/20/07 06:17 PM Re: The Real Daytona 500... MB Guy
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
That story is aweful... probably written by some jock strap that has never even watched a whole race.

Quote:
It’s why Johnny Benson wasn’t flagged for driving below the yellow line in Friday night’s Truck Series race, even though NASCAR has made that part of the track a strict no-no. But NASCAR deemed Benson’s move legal.

It’s why in a week that saw six people thrown out of the garage for cheating, Jeff Gordon received only a slap on the wrist when his car failed an inspection.

It’s why Elliott Sadler and Scott Riggs were penalized for infractions that car owner Ray Evernham insisted are not even addressed in the rule book.

And it’s why Michael Waltrip wasn’t kicked out of the Daytona 500 after NASCAR found a fuel additive in his new Toyota Camry. The transgression was so blatant Pemberton said he was personally insulted. NASCAR cracked down on Waltrip with stiff penalties, but his presence in the race infuriated rival drivers.

First with Benson, Nascar rules say that passing under the yellow line is illegal. you can drive under the line all you want if you're not passing anyone. Then there's my driver, Jeff. when you remove too many spring rubbers and the springs get hot (usually from driving about 200MPH) the springs sometimes lower the car... It's not intentional and has happened to almost every driver at one point or another. Sadler and Riggs, both used unconventional ways to increase their cars potential, and although I don't agree with the suspentions, I do think racing should be fair. And lastly there's Mikey. What hasn't already been said about him? He has taken ownership on something that he wasn't even part of. I say give him a friggen brake.

Thought to ponder... If you are driving a friends car that just happens to be turbo charged to the point it's no longer street legal, and get pulled over, would it be fair if you were arrested for driving it even if you didn't know it was modified?

Return to Top
#692976 - 02/26/07 05:40 AM Re: The Real Daytona 500... Clown Boy
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Originally Posted By: Slappy Happy Clown Boy
I'll be going for Jimmy and Jeff... However, if by some miracle one doesn’t win followed by the other in a close 2nd, I suppose I’ll be happy if Mikey won. So his team cheated a little… I remember one year were Stewart’s team was hammering the spoiler down during a pit stop so there was less drag… Everyone cheats. It’s part of racing. But seeing as how Jeff is gonna win, it doesn’t really matter. On a side note, I’m also hoping that Jr. blows an engine in the first few laps. That would really make my season start off on a good note.

I bet you enjoyed that race!!! Jr. blowing an engine was a good call, just a week too late.

So how about my man Jeff Gordon?!?!? He started the race with a car that he hadn't even tested! Wooo Hooo!!!!!

Return to Top
#692999 - 02/26/07 02:13 PM Re: The Real Daytona 500... Bimmer
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Well...since RW retired, I've been pulling for Robby Gordon, but I have not had a clear "favorite".

Having said that though, I'm involved in a NASCAR pool in which we're given a spot 1-10, and whomever qualifies in that position is our driver for that race.

At Daytona, I had Kurt Busch...had, in my opinion, the best car there...get's caught up in Stewart's mess.

At California, I had Kevin Harvick...was catching Kenseth, caution put him right on Kenseth's bumper...and a flat tire...

So...I've not had a "good" year so far...

Return to Top
#693017 - 02/26/07 02:42 PM Re: The Real Daytona 500... Imagine
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
What I can't believe is that Mark Martin is number one on the standings and he won't be running a full season. Then there is the fact that they send 8 cars home (or so) that do not qualify for nextel cup but they can fill the field for Busch and truck. Yesterdays race was good but would have been better if Jeff had been in victory lane!!!

Return to Top
#693021 - 02/26/07 02:46 PM Re: The Real Daytona 500... kms
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
I honestly would not want to be in Mark Martin's shoes.
Ginn Racing has said, that if Mark wants, they will find a way to field a car for him the entire season.
Mark only wanted a part time schedule, but if he is still leading the points come Bristol, when he is supposed to vacate the car, how can he just leave?

he has a week off to think about it, but do not be surprised to see Mark race the entire year.

Return to Top
#693077 - 02/26/07 03:52 PM Re: The Real Daytona 500... Bimmer
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
Originally Posted By: Bimmer
Originally Posted By: Slappy Happy Clown Boy
I'll be going for Jimmy and Jeff... However, if by some miracle one doesn’t win followed by the other in a close 2nd, I suppose I’ll be happy if Mikey won. So his team cheated a little… I remember one year were Stewart’s team was hammering the spoiler down during a pit stop so there was less drag… Everyone cheats. It’s part of racing. But seeing as how Jeff is gonna win, it doesn’t really matter. On a side note, I’m also hoping that Jr. blows an engine in the first few laps. That would really make my season start off on a good note.

I bet you enjoyed that race!!! Jr. blowing an engine was a good call, just a week too late.

So how about my man Jeff Gordon?!?!? He started the race with a car that he hadn't even tested! Wooo Hooo!!!!!

Ha ha ha... Two races into the season and JR has yet to finish one... but Jeff is driving like he's still got the rainbow worriors behind him. (Does anyone even remember them? ) My season has started out great!!

Sorry to all those Jr. fans... I guess he just can't hang in the big leagues...

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2