Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#691221 - 02/22/07 04:49 PM Prepaid/Stored Value Cards and FDIC Insurance
M&M Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
Is there any definitive guidance in the industry or from our regulators on these types of cards and whether or not they should/must be FDIC-insured? Is that mostly dictated by what the client wants? We don't necessarily want to set up individual deposit accounts for each cardholder, however the client is interested in the funds being insured. Not sure how to go about doing that, what needs to occur and the cost.

I have an FDIC proposed new rule from 7/19/05, however I haven't been able to find anything further that finalized this. HELP!

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#697580 - 03/06/07 09:49 PM Re: Prepaid/Stored Value Cards and FDIC Insurance M&M
Compliancer Offline
Gold Star
Compliancer
San Francisco, CA
You can't find a finalized rule because - surprise - there was no finalized rule issued. Therefore, FDIC insurance is not required on stored value cards.

Return to Top
#700120 - 03/12/07 08:37 PM Re: Prepaid/Stored Value Cards and FDIC Insurance Compliancer
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
If your bank is getting into this, consider signing up for Mary Beth's Stored Value Cards webinar on the 14th, or buy the CD.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z