Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Thread Options
#693369 - 02/26/07 07:47 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming I Imagine
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Originally Posted By: NeophytePolitico
Originally Posted By: Bimmer
Benglas...I can sympathise with that...but Gore in his film shows that there are cyclical occurences...but in recent years there has been a sharp spike.

So...we will see...but I do believe it is my duty to do whatever I can to help stop global warming...

Did Gore talk about the UN report which states that cow farts put more CO2 in the atmosphere than all the cars combined???

See...like I said...I'm doing my part...I'm eating all the cows...

So, it's you and Gore looking about the same?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#693415 - 02/26/07 08:16 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming I °X°
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Nah...Gore is way ahead of me in terms of eating the 123lbs cheeseburgers...

Return to Top
#693583 - 02/26/07 11:13 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming I Imagine
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
POWER: GORE MANSION USES 20X AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD; CONSUMPTION INCREASE AFTER 'TRUTH'
Mon Feb 26 2007 17:16:14 ET

The Tennessee Center for Policy Research, an independent, nonprofit and nonpartisan research organization committed to achieving a freer, more prosperous Tennessee through free market policy solutions, issued a press release late Monday:

Last night, Al Gore’s global-warming documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, collected an Oscar for best documentary feature, but the Tennessee Center for Policy Research has found that Gore deserves a gold statue for hypocrisy.

Gore’s mansion, [20-room, eight-bathroom] located in the posh Belle Meade area of Nashville, consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).

In his documentary, the former Vice President calls on Americans to conserve energy by reducing electricity consumption at home.

The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy. In 2006, Gore devoured nearly 221,000 kWh—more than 20 times the national average.

Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh—guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year. As a result of his energy consumption, Gore’s average monthly electric bill topped $1,359.

Since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore’s energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006.

Gore’s extravagant energy use does not stop at his electric bill. Natural gas bills for Gore’s mansion and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year.

“As the spokesman of choice for the global warming movement, Al Gore has to be willing to walk to walk, not just talk the talk, when it comes to home energy use,” said Tennessee Center for Policy Research President Drew Johnson.

In total, Gore paid nearly $30,000 in combined electricity and natural gas bills for his Nashville estate in 2006.

For Further Information, Contact:
Nicole Williams, (615) 383-6431
editor@tennesseepolicy.org

Return to Top
#693602 - 02/27/07 12:20 AM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming I Bimmer
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Well Bimmer, get ready for the argument that it is better for him to get many people to do what's right than for him to just do that himself. See, it's better (and much more "convenient") to talk the talk and change other people than it is to walk the walk and make any changes yourself. By millions of people decreasing energy consumption and using alternative fuels, it more than counteracts Al Gore's negative effects. And that is how the defense of hypocrisy goes...
Last edited by GuitarDude; 02/27/07 12:22 AM.

Return to Top
#693637 - 02/27/07 01:54 AM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming I GuitarDude
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: GuitarDude
Well Bimmer, get ready for the argument that it is better for him to get many people to do what's right than for him to just do that himself. See, it's better (and much more "convenient") to talk the talk and change other people than it is to walk the walk and make any changes yourself. By millions of people decreasing energy consumption and using alternative fuels, it more than counteracts Al Gore's negative effects. And that is how the defense of hypocrisy goes...

While that may be his defense, it seems a rather weak one. Seeing one live that lifestyle speaks far more volumes than talking about it. Analogy----> Ralph Waldo Emerson had all of the insight imagineable, but when it came down to it, it was Henry David Thoreau that actually lived what Emerson taught, and that is why he is noted for his existentialism moreso than Emerson.

Return to Top
#693661 - 02/27/07 10:43 AM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming I TheManofSteel
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
The earth came home, screeching his car into the driveway, and ran into the house. He slammed the door and shouted at the top of his lungs,

"People, pack your bags. I won the lottery!"

The human race said,"Oh my God! What should I pack, beach stuff or mountain stuff?"

"Doesn't matter," he said. "Just get the heck out."

Return to Top
#693721 - 02/27/07 02:08 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming I TheManofSteel
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Originally Posted By: AMLFella

While that may be his defense, it seems a rather weak one. Seeing one live that lifestyle speaks far more volumes than talking about it. Analogy----> Ralph Waldo Emerson had all of the insight imagineable, but when it came down to it, it was Henry David Thoreau that actually lived what Emerson taught, and that is why he is noted for his existentialism moreso than Emerson.
Do you mean a la Walden Pond, where he lived outside his mothers house, and his meals and laundry were done for him?

Return to Top
#693790 - 02/27/07 03:05 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue TheManofSteel
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
http://www.fairviewobserver.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070227/NEWS01/702270382/1321/MTCN06

• Gore purchased 108 blocks of "green power" for each of the past three months, according to a summary of the bills.
  • They use compact fluorescent light bulbs and are in the midst of a renovation project that includes having solar panels installed on their home to reduce fossil fuel consumption, she said.
  • Their car? A Lexis hybrid SUV.
    • Seems like Gore is "walking the walk" while "talking the talk"
    Last edited by NeophytePolitico; 02/27/07 03:05 PM.
    Return to Top
    #693806 - 02/27/07 03:14 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue Imagine
    TheManofSteel Offline
    10K Club
    TheManofSteel
    Fortress of Solitude
    http://www.fairviewobserver.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070227/NEWS01/702270382/1321/MTCN06

• Gore purchased 108 blocks of "green power" for each of the past three months, according to a summary of the bills.
    • They use compact fluorescent light bulbs and are in the midst of a renovation project that includes having solar panels installed on their home to reduce fossil fuel consumption, she said.
    • Their car? A Lexis hybrid SUV.
      • Seems like Gore is "walking the walk" while "talking the talk"

Took enough yelling about his lack of practicing what he preaches. But if he has finally done so, then I'd back away from any further criticism if his habits with respect to it.

Return to Top
      #693807 - 02/27/07 03:15 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue TheManofSteel
      Imagine Offline
      Power Poster
      Imagine
      How do you know how much yelling it took?
      Maybe people started yelling before they knew the facts.
      I doubt the Gore's are a "reactionary" family...

Return to Top
      #693817 - 02/27/07 03:24 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue Imagine
      TheManofSteel Offline
      10K Club
      TheManofSteel
      Fortress of Solitude
      How do you know how much yelling it took?
      Maybe people started yelling before they knew the facts.
      I doubt the Gore's are a "reactionary" family...

They had more than one multii-million dollar home that were not yet equipped with environmentally friendly faculties. It is only recently that his home in Tennessee was equipped as such. Why did it take him so much time, if he is the world spokesperson against global warming?

However, this is just in response to your last sentence. I will not harp on it because, as I said in the prior post, if he has taken the steps to walk the walk, there is no reason (other than political) to criticize him further on that aspect of the topic.

Return to Top
      #693828 - 02/27/07 03:33 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue TheManofSteel
      Imagine Offline
      Power Poster
      Imagine
      Did you live with the Gores, Fella? Who says their previous homes were not yet equipped with environmentally friendly facilities?

I'm not saying they weren't...I'd just like to know who says they weren't...

OH! And here's a hypothesis for you to contemplate. You say the homes were not equipped with environmentally friendly facilities. Perhaps that was because those environmentally friendly facilities were not yet available, and it took the direction of men like Al Gore to get these environmentally friendly facilities available?

Return to Top
      #693836 - 02/27/07 03:43 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue Imagine
      TheManofSteel Offline
      10K Club
      TheManofSteel
      Fortress of Solitude
      Did you live with the Gores, Fella? Who says their previous homes were not yet equipped with environmentally friendly facilities?

I'm not saying they weren't...I'd just like to know who says they weren't...

OH! And here's a hypothesis for you to contemplate. You say the homes were not equipped with environmentally friendly facilities. Perhaps that was because those environmentally friendly facilities were not yet available, and it took the direction of men like Al Gore to get these environmentally friendly facilities available?

From USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2006-08-09-gore-green_x.htm

Return to Top
      #693850 - 02/27/07 03:58 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue TheManofSteel
      Imagine Offline
      Power Poster
      Imagine
      Fair enough...

Return to Top
      #693851 - 02/27/07 04:02 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue Imagine
      TheManofSteel Offline
      10K Club
      TheManofSteel
      Fortress of Solitude
      Fair enough...

Neo, I need to emphasize though, that if he has taken the steps to walk the walk, it is no longer an issue to me. This came up yesterday on Hannity and Colmes, and Daryl Hannah stated such to him; he needs to get over it too.

Return to Top
      #693858 - 02/27/07 04:06 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming I Imagine
      Bimmer Offline
      Diamond Poster
      Bimmer
      Wherever the plane lands
      So, the U.S. average carbon footprint is 18.58 tonnes of CO2 per year. It is said that Al Gore's energy use is 20 time the national average. If that is correct it would put his carbon footprint at 371.60 tonnes of CO2 per year.

What is your carbon footprint? According to this calculator, mine is 33 tonnes per year.

http://www.bp.com/extendedsectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9008204&contentId=7015209

Return to Top
      #693865 - 02/27/07 04:09 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue TheManofSteel
      Imagine Offline
      Power Poster
      Imagine
      Hannity and Colmes...the Radical Nut and the Fake Liberal...always a great source for news...

Return to Top
      #693874 - 02/27/07 04:17 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue Imagine
      TheManofSteel Offline
      10K Club
      TheManofSteel
      Fortress of Solitude
      Hannity and Colmes...the Radical Nut and the Fake Liberal...always a great source for news...

But they do get parties that have very diverse opinions on the show, and to me that says alot. You simply will not see that on Olberman. You might on Chris Matthews.

I just do not like when they talk over eachother and you cannot hear them.

Return to Top
      #693910 - 02/27/07 04:39 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue TheManofSteel
      Imagine Offline
      Power Poster
      Imagine
      again...I don't look at Olbermann for news...if I want news...I'll watch PBS or the BBC...

Return to Top
      #693914 - 02/27/07 04:41 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue Bimmer
      Jokerman Offline
      10K Club
      Originally Posted By: Bimmer
      What is your carbon footprint? According to this calculator, mine is 33 tonnes per year.

Mine is 12 "tonnes" per year. And that's without getting any credit for my high-efficiency Trane, or the temperature I set it to.

Return to Top
      #693919 - 02/27/07 04:47 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue Jokerman
      GuitarDude Offline
      Power Poster
      GuitarDude
      So Cal
      ...I doubt the Gore's are a "reactionary" family...

Ever hear of the PMRC?

Return to Top
      #693921 - 02/27/07 04:48 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue GuitarDude
      Imagine Offline
      Power Poster
      Imagine
      actually Guitar...no...what is it?

Return to Top
      #693923 - 02/27/07 04:48 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue Jokerman
      TheManofSteel Offline
      10K Club
      TheManofSteel
      Fortress of Solitude
      Between my better half and myself, 52 tonnes per year. I probabaly account for over 50% of that.

Return to Top
      #693938 - 02/27/07 05:03 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue TheManofSteel
      GuitarDude Offline
      Power Poster
      GuitarDude
      So Cal
      Without hijacking the thread , the PMRC, or Parental Music Resource Center is an organization founded by Tipper Gore to try to get certain music banned because of its lyrical content. Also, In the 80's and early 90's, musicians were put on trial for the lyrics in their music. Judas Priest, Ozzy Osbourne and Twisted Sister were sued (unsuccessfully) by parents claiming that their lyrics were the reason their kids were, shall we say, "less than over-achievers." The rap group "2-Live Crew" was arrested for performing their music uncensored in concert.

Return to Top
      #693940 - 02/27/07 05:05 PM Re: More Dissenting Debate on the Global Warming Issue GuitarDude
      TheManofSteel Offline
      10K Club
      TheManofSteel
      Fortress of Solitude
      Without hijacking the thread , the PMRC, or Parental Music Resource Center is an organization founded by Tipper Gore to try to get certain music banned because of its lyrical content. Also, In the 80's and early 90's, musicians were put on trial for the lyrics in their music. Judas Priest, Ozzy Osbourne and Twisted Sister were sued (unsuccessfully) by parents claiming that their lyrics were the reason their kids were, shall we say, "less than over-achievers." The rap group "2-Live Crew" was arrested for performing their music uncensored in concert.

Good 'ol Freedom of Speech Tipper Gore

Return to Top
      Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12