BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#694781 - 02/28/07 09:19 PM Windows Vista
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
Is anyone having problems with Windows Vista? I purchased a new computer with Vista already installed, and I get freeze problems on the user account page. Not to mention that I have Vista premium and I keep getting a pop-up saying my color scheme is reverting to Vista Basic due to an incompatible program, which must be a pre-loaded program since I have downloaded no new programs since purchase. Anyone else having problems?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#694795 - 02/28/07 09:32 PM Re: Windows Vista TINKerBell
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
You should stay away from Vista, very, very far away!!!!

Return to Top
#695073 - 03/01/07 04:27 PM Re: Windows Vista Bimmer
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
I just got a new laptop with Windows Vista. Mine is working pretty well except that my flash drive doesn't work in it. The manufacturer won't be coming out with a new driver until later this year.

I also had issues with the laptop freezing during the shutting down process which started after I downloaded Open Office. Otherwise, it seems to work OK. I haven't had any of the problems that you have mentioned.

Return to Top
#695114 - 03/01/07 05:08 PM Re: Windows Vista Bimmer
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Originally Posted By: Bimmer

Can you explain why please?

I need a new PC at home and I thought now would be a good time.

Return to Top
#695125 - 03/01/07 05:17 PM Re: Windows Vista califgirl
Czargazer Offline
Gold Star
Czargazer
Pacific Northwest
Why stay away? Because as with any newly released major piece of software there are large numbers of bugs and incompatibilities that are yet to be worked out.

Don't get me wrong, it appears as though Microsoft has actually done pretty well with building this thing. It's more secure and has lots of potential. Still, with things like this it is always best to wait a good year or so before getting into it. There is only so much they can do in the labs.

Return to Top
#695133 - 03/01/07 05:22 PM Re: Windows Vista califgirl
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Originally Posted By: califgirl

If you need to get a new computer, I would suggest looking for one with Win XP, but also comes with an upgrade voucher to Vista. I have been evaluating and Beta testing Vista for over a year now. There are a whole lot of program and device driver incompatibilities, not to mention all of the security holes.

When Microsoft releases a new operating system and a new service patch for that operating system within a week of each other, it has issues.

Return to Top
#695212 - 03/01/07 07:09 PM Re: Windows Vista Bimmer
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: califgirl

If you need to get a new computer, I would suggest looking for one with Win XP, but also comes with an upgrade voucher to Vista. I have been evaluating and Beta testing Vista for over a year now. There are a whole lot of program and device driver incompatibilities, not to mention all of the security holes.

When Microsoft releases a new operating system and a new service patch for that operating system within a week of each other, it has issues.

bimmer--your pm thingy is full...i tried to add you, but it wouldnt let me...you just too dang poopular!

Return to Top
#695213 - 03/01/07 07:11 PM Re: Windows Vista Bimmer
Gregk Offline
100 Club
The Dark Side of the Moon
Download the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor from the Microsoft website and run it against your existing software for compatability issues. You'll be surprised how many compatability issues you'll end up with.

Return to Top