Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#69546 - 03/25/03 03:11 PM Fees to cash checks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Any problems with charging a 2% fee to cash checks for non-customers - thought process is we might encourage them to open an account.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#69547 - 03/25/03 03:15 PM Re: Fees to cash checks
yy2say Offline
Gold Star
yy2say
PA
I don't think there is a problem with it as long as it is disclosed; however, you may want to check your state regs.

Return to Top
#69548 - 03/25/03 03:21 PM Re: Fees to cash checks
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Look to your state's laws. Texas just finished some legal maneuvering where it was prohibited and then overturned. The thought process is the same as yours, get customers and don't fill the lines with non-customers slowing your service delivery to those who pay you to bank there.

The problem is that I pay the guy that mows my yard with a check. He goes to my/your bank to cash it. You charge him a fee. Next time he mows, he bumps up my fee because you charged him.

There is other discussion on this we have had in the past. Some keyword searches will turn them up if you want to dig.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#69549 - 03/25/03 07:37 PM Re: Fees to cash checks
bankergrul Offline
bankergrul
SW US
Our bank has been charging such a fee. It really has not increased number of new accounts at all. A lot of bad will is generated over the fee and customer complaints are constant.

Return to Top
#69550 - 03/25/03 07:40 PM Re: Fees to cash checks
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
In theory this should force some of those noncustomers to deposit these in their own banks. Are the complains coming from customers in a scenario such as I described above?
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#69551 - 03/26/03 04:21 AM Re: Fees to cash checks
c.a.r Offline
Gold Star
c.a.r
Texas, USA
We charge fees for non-customers that have checks not drawn on us. If a non-customer has a check drawn on us and they have proper ID we may cash without a fee.

Return to Top
#69552 - 03/26/03 03:56 PM Re: Fees to cash checks
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
We charge noncustomers for cashing checks that are not drawn on our bank (certain exceptions apply). If the check is drawn on our bank, there is no charge.

Return to Top
#69553 - 03/26/03 03:57 PM Re: Fees to cash checks
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I'm surprised that you would cash checks for non-customers that aren't drawn on your bank. Isn't that setting up potential for losses?

Return to Top
#69554 - 03/26/03 04:05 PM Re: Fees to cash checks
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
We always make certain to verify the identity of the person cashing the check and record their drivers license number, SSN, etc. on the back of the check. Treasury checks and certain other checks are not drawn on our bank and we still cash them with proper ID. It is considered to be a way of building up a good community image and possibly obtaining new customers in the future. There is risk involved, but I have found that in banking that seems to always be the case.

Return to Top
#69555 - 03/26/03 04:48 PM Re: Fees to cash checks
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

I'm surprised that you would cash checks for non-customers that aren't drawn on your bank. Isn't that setting up potential for losses?

There may be losses, but there is also income, potential goodwill, CRA services and hopefully an opportunity to gain an account.

Return to Top
#69556 - 03/26/03 06:11 PM Re: Fees to cash checks
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Thanks Andy! Our thoughts exactly.

Return to Top
#69557 - 03/26/03 07:45 PM Re: Fees to cash checks
bankergrul Offline
bankergrul
SW US
Yes we run into situations like you mentioned. A lot of these non-customers are not able to have or open accounts because of negative chex systems information.

Return to Top
#69558 - 03/27/03 02:11 PM Re: Fees to cash checks
PABanker Offline
Gold Star
PABanker
Blue Ball, PA 17506
I do highly suggest you look at your state's laws on this issue. Our state just allowed check cashing charges to non-customers coming to the bank the check is drawn on to cash the check.

Return to Top
#69559 - 03/27/03 02:51 PM Re: Fees to cash checks
c.a.r Offline
Gold Star
c.a.r
Texas, USA
that is how we fell also.

Return to Top
#69560 - 03/27/03 07:04 PM Re: Fees to cash checks
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Quote:

Yes we run into situations like you mentioned. A lot of these non-customers are not able to have or open accounts because of negative chex systems information.

You could offer an ETA account to some of these clients for monthly benefits. Good CRA credit as well as goodwill with the Treasury Department (they're pushing them hard). First Accounts (See the Treasury Guidelines as well) are a good option for folks in this circumstance. Again, another good CRA program with limited exposure.

Now, about those fees: I recently went into a bank in Texas while on vacation to cash a check my sweetie had written to me. It was written on this bank from a private banking account, but I was still told I would be charged a fee or had to open an account with them. One staff member even went so far as to suggest I open an account and then close it the next day so I could cash the check without a fee.

I rationally explained that their good client had written me a check because my debit card strip had been demagnitized. I was having one fed ex'd to me, but trying to cash a check on an Alaska bank is akin to writing a check off of your Russian funds account...it wouldn't happen anywhere! So to make my life easier (and encourage my shopping) he wrote me a check and I wrote him a check. Opening an account seemed silly, and was cost prohibitive to the bank, given the certainty that I would open and close it immediately. Their man hours alone were more expensive than waiving the fee. I also held a mortgage at their bank, which technically did make me a customer, but they couldn't look up Alaskan mortgages, nor would they take a payment stub to prove it. Now...for all that hassle..was the stupid $5 bucks worth it? I certainly left with bad will, and when I do move to Texas, I won't be opening an account with them. My sweetie moved his private banking relationship...he was peeved that he'd written a check to someone who couldn't cash it without a fee.

Is the fee really worth it? I've heard of others having the same issues. You don't always know why accounts are closed, but it could be silly stuff like this. His account, and my future account were worth more than $5 bucks.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#69561 - 03/28/03 04:37 PM Re: Fees to cash checks
I Wear Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
I Wear Many Hats
the beautiful state of ME
We charge a flat fee to non-customers cashing checks (a little easier to train and code on our system than a percentage). The only checks we exempt from the fee are state and federal government checks (why charge someone cashing an unemployment check a fee in this economy). We also only cash state, federal government or payroll checks from known employers for noncustomers. No personal checks unless drawn on our bank. If they balk at paying a fee or we feel uncomfortable cashing the check we send them to the local grocery or convenience store who seems willing to accept a bit more risk for less money.

Opinions are mine and mine alone.

Return to Top
#69562 - 06/26/03 04:05 PM Re: Fees to cash checks
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
What do you think the CRA implications might be if we start charging a fee ($2-$3) for cashing goverment checks for non-customers?

Return to Top
#69563 - 06/26/03 04:36 PM Re: Fees to cash checks
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Devil's Advocate:

Unless there is a state mandate, why cash government checks for non-customers at all?
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#69564 - 06/26/03 05:21 PM Re: Fees to cash checks
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
John,
I see your point exactly. But management has asked me a specific question about charging a fee for this service. I'm still somewhat concerned that there might be some possible CRA implications if we start charging such a fee.

Return to Top
#69565 - 06/26/03 05:24 PM Re: Fees to cash checks
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
You have some risks and you have costs. How would this compare to others in your area? If your cost is less, it is a service and an advantage to them.

CRA doesn't say you have to lose money.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett