Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#697974 - 03/07/07 05:29 PM Need Sports Fans
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
What's the story with Wade Boggs and KFC? Is this really the only meat he eats? Is this another urban legend?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#697994 - 03/07/07 05:42 PM Re: Need Sports Fans Bailey.
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
I know chicken was his meal of choice, but I don't know if it was the only meat he ate.

Return to Top
#697999 - 03/07/07 05:49 PM Re: Need Sports Fans TB 12
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
The rumor (I'll call it as such now) was, more specifically, that he eats a bucket of KFC before gametime, and that bucket-chicken is the only meat he eats...

I know athletes have their rituals, but this one sounds quite far-fetched to me.

Return to Top
#698005 - 03/07/07 05:56 PM Re: Need Sports Fans Bailey.
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
God bless him if he could eat that much KFC on a regular basis and stay in shape!!

Return to Top
#698009 - 03/07/07 06:01 PM Re: Need Sports Fans TB 12
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
The only meat he would eat on game day was chicken. However, he cooked it in a variety of different ways. I remember seeing a list of the different recipes, but I don't remember seeing KFC on the list. It may have been; I just don't remember seeing it.

Boggsy was a very superstitious ballplayer. And one heck of a hitter.

Return to Top
#698042 - 03/07/07 06:36 PM Re: Need Sports Fans Sinatra Fan
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Yeah, I heard the same thing about Boggs. A bucket of chicken before each game. I hear he did include KFC in his ritual, but it didnt have to be KFC.

Return to Top
#698080 - 03/07/07 07:11 PM Re: Need Sports Fans ACBbank
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I do know that Chad Johnson always eats McDonalds on game day...

Return to Top
#698114 - 03/07/07 07:46 PM Re: Need Sports Fans B_F
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan
I do know that Chad Johnson always eats McDonalds on game day...

That's a good thing Bengals, because it'll clog his arteries for the 2 games against Pittsburgh next season

Return to Top
#698263 - 03/07/07 10:10 PM Re: Need Sports Fans TheManofSteel
Peepers Offline
10K Club
He’s just trying to eat good now, before he goes to jail.

Return to Top
#698438 - 03/08/07 02:50 PM Re: Need Sports Fans Peepers
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Hah hah, sorry to burst your bubble peepers, but while Chris Henry leads the league in individual arrests for stupid little things, other teams have FAR more arrests and convictions than the Bengals.

Return to Top
#698456 - 03/08/07 03:15 PM Re: Need Sports Fans B_F
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Are the Jail Blazers still the King of arrests?

Return to Top
#698460 - 03/08/07 03:16 PM Re: Need Sports Fans B_F
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
name these teams for me. why have i only heard the bungles recently and consistently?

Return to Top
#698473 - 03/08/07 03:33 PM Re: Need Sports Fans Hated By Some
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Ron Mexico
name these teams for me. why have i only heard the bungles recently and consistently?

Try looking at San Diego for starters.

Why are you hearing about the Bengals? Quite simply, Chris Henry. When a young guy like this is arrested as many times for dumb little things in a row as he was, attention is drawn to the team.

Return to Top
#698481 - 03/08/07 03:40 PM Re: Need Sports Fans B_F
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: Ron Mexico

Try looking at San Diego for starters.

Why are you hearing about the Bengals? Quite simply, Chris Henry. When a young guy like this is arrested as many times for dumb little things in a row as he was, attention is drawn to the team.

BengalsF, I hate to break balls, but since you guys take enough beatings from my Steelers, I'm not going to add to it by pointing out the teams character woes. The real issue here is the fact that the NFL in general, across all the teams, is far too tolerant of the players' misdeeds off the field. Does anybody think that the uproar raised in baseball over steroid use would be raised in the NFL the same way? Look at Shawn Merriman. Similarly in the NBA I think.

The NFL has a double standard compared to the average joe on the street, that is so sickeningly obvious, and yet the fact that we ourselves love the sport so much, and the demand we generate, gives the league this ridiculous impetus to give players slaps on the wrist.

Thoughts?

Return to Top
#698490 - 03/08/07 03:50 PM Re: Need Sports Fans TheManofSteel
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
This is from an article on CBC.CA, dated 3/6/07:

"Nicholson was one of nine Bengals arrested during a nine-month span."

I honestly don't recall any other team (NFL or otherwise) having that many issues...

I agree with Fella, but I would say it seems the NBA has a bigger "off the field/court" problem....

Return to Top
#698497 - 03/08/07 03:54 PM Re: Need Sports Fans TB 12
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Originally Posted By: sox in '04

I honestly don't recall any other team (NFL or otherwise) having that many issues...
I agree with Fella, but I would say it seems the NBA has a bigger "off the field/court" problem....

The infamous viking party boat issue is a close seond though.

Return to Top
#698500 - 03/08/07 03:57 PM Re: Need Sports Fans ACBbank
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Good point ACBbank-I had forgotten about that. Just seems like every couple weeks another Bengal is in the news-kind of stays fresh....

Return to Top
#698586 - 03/08/07 05:04 PM Re: Need Sports Fans TB 12
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH

The thing is, most of those Bengals arrests were MINOR. Compare that to San Diego and see what you see.

I totally agree that it is the NFL as a whole. Heck, even a certain someone's Steelers have had issues this year. I don't think there is a single team in the LEAGUE that has been all good.

Return to Top
#698778 - 03/08/07 07:53 PM Re: Need Sports Fans B_F
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude

The thing is, most of those Bengals arrests were MINOR. Compare that to San Diego and see what you see.

I totally agree that it is the NFL as a whole. Heck, even a certain someone's Steelers have had issues this year. I don't think there is a single team in the LEAGUE that has been all good.

Santonio Holmes? Touche'----> The NFL as an organization does alot of good outside of the actual game with respect to community work, the United Way etc. But this general attitude of leniency toward players with severe character flaws is hurting the league, its reputation, and actually enables the players with these flaws so that they do not work on improving themselves. I hope this unwritten policy changes, because there is alot more at stake than just the leagues reputation.

Return to Top
#699114 - 03/09/07 02:47 PM Re: Need Sports Fans TheManofSteel
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
By the way, the Bengals have had MISDEMENOR offenses. The Bears, Chargers, Titans, Ravens, Browns, Rams, and several other teams in the league have had multiple FELONS on their squads.

Why is getting caught with pot in your backpack in the news and causing a kid to be suspended for multiple games while being convicted of selling drugs and doing time in jail (ala Jamal Lewis a few years back) didn't cost gametime?

Return to Top
#699129 - 03/09/07 03:11 PM Re: Need Sports Fans B_F
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
By the way, the Bengals have had MISDEMENOR offenses. The Bears, Chargers, Titans, Ravens, Browns, Rams, and several other teams in the league have had multiple FELONS on their squads.

Why is getting caught with pot in your backpack in the news and causing a kid to be suspended for multiple games while being convicted of selling drugs and doing time in jail (ala Jamal Lewis a few years back) didn't cost gametime?

I think in the Bengals case, it was sheer volume. But it does not matter, because I really think it is not a team thing, as any of those players could have ended up on any team. It is a league thing.

Return to Top
#699136 - 03/09/07 03:21 PM Re: Need Sports Fans TheManofSteel
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: AMLFella

I think in the Bengals case, it was sheer volume. But it does not matter, because I really think it is not a team thing, as any of those players could have ended up on any team. It is a league thing.

So 9 minor offenses is worse than two felonies?

Return to Top
#699180 - 03/09/07 04:01 PM Re: Need Sports Fans B_F
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
I think what AML is trying to say, and what I was saying, was that the volume of offenses, not the severity of them is what kept them in the news, so it seemed worse simply because we heard about it more.

Return to Top
#699185 - 03/09/07 04:07 PM Re: Need Sports Fans TB 12
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I think what AML is trying to say, and what I was saying, was that the volume of offenses, not the severity of them is what kept them in the news, so it seemed worse simply because we heard about it more.

That's exactly my point.

Return to Top
#699189 - 03/09/07 04:09 PM Re: Need Sports Fans B_F
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Maybe, just maybe, it’s because the Bengals are evil.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2