BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#703150 - 03/19/07 07:08 PM Interest During Rescission Period
Pepper's Sister Offline
Platinum Poster
Pepper's Sister
Midwest
Does Ohio allow interest to accrue during the rescission period? Thanks for any and all help.

Return to Top
#703524 - 03/20/07 02:47 PM Re: Interest During Rescission Period Pepper's Sister
bgehres Offline
100 Club
I don't know about the law, but how are you going to explain to your customers that you'll be charging them interest for 3 days, but yet they won't have access to the funds?

Return to Top
#703637 - 03/20/07 04:50 PM Re: Interest During Rescission Period bgehres
Pepper's Sister Offline
Platinum Poster
Pepper's Sister
Midwest
I don't know that I can......but I know that some states allow for interest to accrue during the rescission period, and some states don't. I was wondering what OH law allowed.

Return to Top
#715405 - 04/12/07 04:18 PM Re: Interest During Rescission Period Pepper's Sister
Bill S Offline
Bill S
OH
I am not aware of any prohibition in Ohio against accruing interest during the rescission period.

Whether to do so seems to vary by lender -- some do & some don't. At one bank where I worked, one department did & another did not.

(Last I heard, Indiana did have a law prohibiting accrual of interest during the rescission period, perhaps to prevent lenders from "double dipping" -- earning interest on two loans at once -- when refinancing their own loans, or to protect borrowers from paying double -- interest to two lenders at the same time.)

Opinions expressed are mine only & are not legal advice.

Return to Top
#723404 - 04/27/07 06:14 PM Re: Interest During Rescission Period Bill S
Sage Offline
Platinum Poster
But if the customer is refinancing to a lower interest rate it is to their advantage to start accruing at the new lower rate immediately. I agree you cannot accrue on both the existing and the refi.

Return to Top
#723894 - 04/30/07 02:29 PM Re: Interest During Rescission Period Sage
Bill S Offline
Bill S
OH
You CAN accrue interest on both loans, barring a state law to the contrary. However, whether you WANT to (or, some might say, SHOULD) do so, may be another matter. The point is, unless a particular state has restrictions, lenders are free under federal law and regulation to earn interest on both loans during the rescission period.

Opinions expressed are mine only & are not legal advice.

Return to Top